HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Ludono

Hong Kong's voice of Doraemon, Lam Pou-chuen, dies aged 63

While I was never big into Doraemon, it was a massive phenomenon here in HK and many of my friends are in mourning now that the voice of their childhood has passed....

rblb.jpg

The distinctive Hong Kong voice of popular Japanese cartoon character Doraemon died suddenly yesterday, aged 63.

TVB actor Lam Pou-chuen was found unconscious by family members at home in the morning, Tsang Sing-ming, the station's deputy controller of publicity, said.

Lam was rushed to Nethersole Hospital but his daughter, who is also a voice actress, later informed TVB of his death.

A TVB voice actor since 1971, Lam had dubbed more than 100 characters in cartoons, television series and films. He became the voice of robot cat Doraemon when the station began airing the manga animation series in 1982. The show first hit television screens in Japan in 1979.

Lam left TVB in the 1980s and returned in 1993. Apart from that period, he had been the voice of Doraemon in animation series and movies for over two decades.

sblb.jpgLam“s cartoon voice dubbing roles

Other cartoon voice-dubbing roles included Garfield the cat, Amuro Ray ofMobile Suit Gundam, Genzo Wakabayashi in Captain Tsubasa, Hiei in Yu Yu Hakusho and Squirtle in Pokemon. He was also the voice of greedy Qing dynasty official He Shen in television series The Bronze Teeth, and the sarcastic narrator of variety programme Neighbourhood Treasures.

In movies, he was the voice for stars such as Sammo Hung Kam-bo and George Clooney.

In his last media interview on Monday, Lam told RTHK how his unique voice affected his daily life: "Sometimes when I shop in wet markets or travel in a van, people ask if I am a voice actor."

Born in Macau, Lam came to Hong Kong as a secondary school student. After graduating, he worked as an office boy for a bank, but a self-recommendation letter he wrote to TVB changed his career path.

Yesterday, fellow actors were shocked to hear of Lam's death, while fans from across the generations mourned the loss of the city's most recognisable voice.

Director Patrick Kong Pak-leung shared some words recorded by Lam on the internet. Many fans in the film industry would ask Lam to record personal messages on their phones, he said. "For those of my age, who wouldn't be a Doraemon fan?" asked 41-year-old Kong.

Singer Ivana Wong wrote on Facebook: "Can ding-dong (the former translation of Doraemon) never grow old? Rest in peace."

Keith Yuen Kai-yeung, a Doraemon fan for two decades, said Lam's death marked the end of an era, adding that his voice remained one constant in a show that had seen many changes.

Shortly after Doraemon creator Hiroshi Fujimoto died in 1996, the Hong Kong translation of the cartoon title was changed from "ding-dong", meaning twinkle, to Doraemon.

Nobuyo Oyama, who was Doraemon in Japan from 1979 to 2005, retired at the age of 74. Drawing styles of the cartoon also changed over the past decade.

"Only the voice of Lam remained unchanged. He was the remaining link to the original Doraemon," said Yuen.

Other fans posted the trailer for the upcoming 3D film Stand by Me Doraemon, which debuts in Hong Kong cinemas next month.

"I can no longer stay here. I really have to go," says the voice of Doraemon in the trailer.

Via SCMP

While I'm sure none of you are familiar with his performance, I'm sure you know many of his roles. Are there any of your favourite childhood actors or voice actors who have passed?

I could definitely see how that voice actor passing would be a big deal to a lot of people who grew up watching anime. He had some pretty big roles in classic animus (for the region). But yeah, I've not watched much stuff dubbed in Chinese (Except for when I was bored at hotels and curious to see how some stuff was dubbed, and lot of it seemed mediocre at best, despite how little I know of the language.).

I think my favorite voice actors are still around for both English and Japanese, even if I usually hear them less and less nowadays. Granted, not to be morbid or anything, I would not be surprised if some of the Japanese ones started leaving, because.... holy crap are some old.

I could definitely see how that voice actor passing would be a big deal to a lot of people who grew up watching anime. He had some pretty big roles in classic animus (for the region). But yeah, I've not watched much stuff dubbed in Chinese (Except for when I was bored at hotels and curious to see how some stuff was dubbed, and lot of it seemed mediocre at best, despite how little I know of the language.).

I think my favorite voice actors are still around for both English and Japanese, even if I usually hear them less and less nowadays. Granted, not to be morbid or anything, I would not be surprised if some of the Japanese ones started leaving, because.... holy crap are some old.

Yeah, it seems like it's part of a whole generations childhood that just passed on, which is understandably saddening. Also puts a damper on the new movie, which is probably going to do insanely good since everyone is going to go watch it in his honour. 

I don't know, it's just neat how someone like this could be so influential to a whole generation and yet no one outside of HK knows him ahaha