HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

barrel

Does art prevent you from playing certain games?

I mean, for games that are probably at least alright. Have you ever been so put off by a game's art direction that you refuse to play something that you would probably otherwise play as a game?

Like, I was talking with GP's Chris/Wildcard about how we both don't love Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time's art. I got over it and still played/enjoyed the game but he is still put off by it and refuses to play it. I have a similar outlook towards Akira Toriyama's stuff where I'm obviously willing to play stuff like Chrono Trigger/Dragon Quest but I don't like his style at all (Nowadays, at least. I liked DBZ a lot when I was a kid like everyone else.).  I do this for a lot of games (Atelier, for example) if I think the game part is interesting enough. That said, very rarely, even I refuse to play certain stuff because of the art.... like Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement or Monster Monpiece... I can't.... I CAN'T! 

Not really. Drop me in a murky gray and brown shooter or a vivid watercolor dreamworld and I'll still have fun either way if the game is entertaining. Obviously a good/unique art style is super neat and will help draw me into the game, but but one I don't like isn't going to keep me from trying something that sounds enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint.

SATOSHI URUSHIHARA IS A GOD. BARREL IS WRONG.

original.jpg

Hmm, but I don't think art style has ever really put me off of a game. The best I can think of is the fact that so many FPS games are just shades of brown and/or grey.

SATOSHI URUSHIHARA IS A GOD. BARREL IS WRONG.

Oh man, is that the guy that did the Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time art? Yeah, I have to admit that's... pretty rough on my eyes. xD

Sometimes I would see reviews on this site and think the art style is pretty cool and makes me want to try the game, if not for anything it'll be to enjoy the artwork. But I don't think I been put off by certain art direction in a game to not try it at least if given the chance. I just take it as how the game is and play it for what it is. I will say at first look certain game could put me off just by how the cover is or how the art work may look but if I later hear that the game is worth a play through I will put it on my list of game to get/play.

Oh man, is that the guy that did the Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time art? Yeah, I have to admit that's... pretty rough on my eyes. xD

How can you not like this?? D:

growlanser_iv_over_reloaded_conceptart_Rgrowlanser_iv_over_reloaded_conceptart_ogrowlanser_v__heritage_of_war_art_8.jpg

This reminds me that I think a decent amount of people probably didn't play Dust: An Elysian Tale because of the art too (because it's easy to associate it with a certain subculture, even if the art itself is actually harmless.). 

[random images]

I can tell these are well-drawn, like the proportions are surprisingly good, but it is something about the hair and faces in particular, I think (for these in particular. I think some of his other character designs have fanservice problems too, like cat girls in leotards...). It is that distinctly old-school animu approach to character art that is kind of hard to look at for many people nowadays (even if you grew up with it, like with Record of Lodoss War or something).   Now, I've grown a lot more tolerant of his art because I associate it with good SRPG games, like Langrisser and Growlanser, but it was just the example that spurred the discussion.

I would like to say that I generally look past art, but I know that's not true...Uh, but I can't really think of a game or series that's made me not wanting to play it. Maybe Bravely Default? But that's mostly the character models, everyone looks bored all the time, haha. But that's not the reason I stopped playing that game. 

While it may take away from a game for me, it won't detour me from playing.  I might complain about it the entire time though.

I'm not a fan of the Growlanser art as well.  I always found it too... shiny?  Everything looks like it's made out of plastic.

Art won't scare me away from a game unless it's legitimately bad, or the color palette hurts my eyes.  Like, Zeboyd Games' earlier titles (like Breath of Death VII) are the threshold of art I'm willing to deal with; if it looks worse than the character portraits in those games, I probably won't play it.

Those outfits make Kiwi sad.

But as for the topic, no. Even if Kiwi doesn't like the art, if it has something interesting, Kiwi will still give it a go. On the flip side, Kiwi doesn't think an art style has ever convinced Kiwi to try a game either. When Kiwi looks at a game's screenshots/trailers, he's not paying much attention to art, he's looking for gameplay.

• Like 1

Binding of Isaac probably. It just...really weirds me out (which is at least partially intentional, but still).

Maybe if its grossly offensive but usually I can see past art design.