HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Xbox Brand For Sale? Hmm

This isn't the first time this rumor has been floating around, but it's weird enough to be interesting (in my opinion, anyhow).

Apparently there are rumblings that Microsoft is exploring ways to possibly sell the Xbox brand off. It sounds weird because technically Xbox One sales are ahead of what Xbox 360 were in a similar time frame, but the lack of Xbox One's traction against PS4 (with the latter now pulling back ahead of Xbox One after holiday sales) and Microsoft's increasing focus on other sectors, it sort of makes sense.

The thing is, the Xbox brand is so expensive that it limits potential buyers significantly and almost doesn't make sense for anyone in that group to buy it, so Microsoft may just be stuck with it. The article mentions that it doesn't make sense for Apple (they'd do their own thing first), Google (not interested in games), and a lot of others, though Amazon and Netflix are said to be possibilities that make sense.

Also, if you think about it, the news about Phil Spencer's departure seems to corroborate this report somewhat; it does seem to make sense. Will it actually happen? I doubt it.

What do you think? Do you think Microsoft will sell the Xbox brand?

I bet Markus Persson will buy it and come out with the X-Craft console that is nothing but Minecraft style games.

limited-edition-minecraft-xbox-360-conso

• Like 1

I bet Rex would buy the brand and rename the console Rexbox lol.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me I suppose but I doubt they will. In a perfect world, I would want SEGA to fire their executives, bring back the guy who wanted to team up with Sony back in the day and have them make a new console. The SEGA Xbox or Dreambox. Then I want to see Nintendo abandon home consoles and just make portable games and develop home games for Sony and SEGA. Sony can keep doing what they are doing but increase the number of games they make.

None of that would ever happen but it'd be nice.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me I suppose but I doubt they will. In a perfect world, I would want SEGA to fire their executives, bring back the guy who wanted to team up with Sony back in the day and have them make a new console. The SEGA Xbox or Dreambox. Then I want to see Nintendo abandon home consoles and just make portable games and develop home games for Sony and SEGA. Sony can keep doing what they are doing but increase the number of games they make.

None of that would ever happen but it'd be nice.

Well I wish they would all merge into one and have the ultimate console with all the awesome so every few years we only need to buy one console. But dreams will never come true.

• Like 2

I can kinda see why they might consider selling the brand...they're desperately trying to get Xbox One into people's homes, but they seem to have no idea how to do that beyond "hey, look at this game, on Xbox, that you could buy if you maybe bought our system? Please?" Seeing as they don't seem to know what to do with it and certainly aren't going to pull ahead of Sony anytime soon, it would make sense to hand it off to some company that can work on making it a household name. Which company that would be, I dunno, and don't really care. I've never had a problem with the Xbox brand, only the company who owns it. :P

To be honest I'm surprised. I understand compared to PS4 it isn't doing well but by no means is it doing bad. I'm sure I'm not as informed on this as many others are so this is more of a surprise. Does this mean they are backing off the gaming market? If the brand goes are they completely hands off now?

I doubt they'll sell it, but who knows. If they don't sell it will Xbox One be their last console?

I doubt they'll sell it, but who knows. If they don't sell it will Xbox One be their last console?

Hard to say. The Xbox brand is still worth quite a bit, so letting it go to waste by not producing another console probably wouldn't benefit Microsoft very much. Until they could land a deal or they decide it's not being profitable enough, they're probably stuck on this treadmill for now.

To be honest I'm surprised. I understand compared to PS4 it isn't doing well but by no means is it doing bad. I'm sure I'm not as informed on this as many others are so this is more of a surprise. Does this mean they are backing off the gaming market? If the brand goes are they completely hands off now?

Yes and no, I believe. I've heard things that amount to them wanting to get out of Xbox production, but they may retain companies like Mojang so they could continue making crazy amounts off of Minecraft on every platform known to man (except Wii U, apparently). There's also their VR/AR tech that they're producing, which is said to be separate from Xbox, so who knows what will come of that.

• Like 1

Yes and no, I believe. I've heard things that amount to them wanting to get out of Xbox production, but they may retain companies like Mojang so they could continue making crazy amounts off of Minecraft on every platform known to man (except Wii U, apparently). There's also their VR/AR tech that they're producing, which is said to be separate from Xbox, so who knows what will come of that.

I guess X1 isn't doing enough for them compared to the 360? I mean do they need to RROD it like the 360 to get more sales? It would seem that keeping the Xbox brand would still be beneficial to them considering (at least that I know of) they aren't losing money on it?