HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jordan Haygood

Top 10 Mario Spin-Off Games

The great Mario…uh…Mario? Is that his last name? Or is his first name Super and his last name Mario? Whatever his full name is, he“s pretty darn famous, wouldn“t you say? Starring in all sorts of games spanning more genres than you would expect from a plumber, Mario has certainly been around the block.

Now let“s all forget about the main Mario series for the time being and focus on the others, by which I mean the tons of spin-off titles the franchise has seen over the years. More specifically, let us at Game Podunk share with you what we consider to be the Top 10 Mario Spin-Off Games. Enjoy!

Do you agree with our list? What are YOUR favorite Mario spin-off games? Let us know down below. Have an idea you'd like to see us use? Leave that down there as well and we might just pick it up. Don't forget to like the video and subscribe to our channel, of course.

• Like 1

The Mario RPG series was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title, lol. I'll be looking forward to that video feature.

I loved Luigi's Mansion for the GCN, Mario Kart Double Dash is the most recent Mario Kart I've played so I don't know about the later ones, I would put Super Mario World 2 at the top also. I always loved that game. Does Tetris Attack count as a mario spin-off? If so I would put that pretty close to the top too.

Sad that Mario Tennis Power Tour did not make the cut. It is easily the best Mario tennis game. In fact, it wasn't even mentioned during the discussion of the Mario Tennis franchise! Way to drop the ball GP... the tennis ball. 

The Mario RPG series was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title, lol. I'll be looking forward to that video feature.

Yeah, I initially was planning on considering the RPGs for the list, but then we thought that they would take up 3 out of the 10 spots, due to the fact that there are three different series and they're all amazing.

Sad that Mario Tennis Power Tour did not make the cut. It is easily the best Mario tennis game. In fact, it wasn't even mentioned during the discussion of the Mario Tennis franchise! Way to drop the ball GP... the tennis ball. 

In my defense, I never played that one, so I completely forgot that that one existed. Though now that I look into it, I really wanna play it... Not sure what the others' excuses are, though. And I think you may have been MIA when we discussed it in the thread over in the editor forum, but if you'd like to help us create the lists, then feel free to check it out  ;)

Well, I hope the RPG video doesn't disappoint, because I wanted at least 2 of them in there. Make that 3, but 2 are from the same series. I will agree with Yoshi's Island. It is one of the games I pop into my SNES to this day. Absolutely love Yoshi's Island.

"Don't expect RPGs on this list-" 

Whelp, see ya  guys next time! 

Kamek approves this list. When you do top Mario RPGs you shouldn't even in clued Sticker Star on the list, that game was just… bleh.

Kamek approves this list. When you do top Mario RPGs you shouldn't even in clued Sticker Star on the list, that game was just… bleh.

I disagree. I thought Sticker Star was good, just not as good as the others for various reasons. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. I very much enjoyed my time with it, for what it was. I do hope they eventually make a new, truer-to-the-roots installment, though.

I disagree. I thought Sticker Star was good, just not as good as the others for various reasons. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. I very much enjoyed my time with it, for what it was. I do hope they eventually make a new, truer-to-the-roots installment, though.

While I respect your opinion, I most certainly disagree. I honestly don't have too much history with the original two, so I'm fine with it branching away from the roots, but this game just felt broken and unfinished to me. For one, no story is established othe than "Bowser gets peer, kidnaps Peach" throughout the entire game. While I'm fine with it attempting to keep the story of a typical non-RPG Mario game, it has to rely solely on the gameplay, which unfortunately, seemed like one of the weakest parts of the game. Not only is it hard to navigate, but it requires insane amounts of backtracking to find "things" throughout levels that you missed, with little help telling you whether or not to turn them in to stickers. You can simply avoid all battles as there's no leveling up, in fact, it seems like fighting enemies seems like a burden in this game as it causes you to lose stickers, which you can easily run out of which is more or less an automatic game over in boss battles. Speaking of boss battles, the bosses seems to lack strategy to fight as all that you need to do to defeat them is use a very specific strong sticker (if you try to fight them regularly it's basically suicide), which you may not even have or know to use in the fight. I could ramble on for a while on why I hate this game, but I don't want to get worked up. You're entitled to your own opinion, though.

While I respect your opinion, I most certainly disagree. I honestly don't have too much history with the original two, so I'm fine with it branching away from the roots, this game just felt broken and unfinished to me. For one, no story is established othe than "Bowser gets peer, kidnaps Peach" throughout the entire game. While I'm fine with it attempting to keep the story of a typical non-RPG Mario game, it has to rely solely on the gameplay, which unfortunately, seemed like one of the weakest parts of the game. Not only is it hard to navigate, but it requires insane amounts of backtracking to find "things" throughout levels that you missed, with little help telling you whether or not to turn them in to stickers. You can simply avoid all battles as there's no leveling up, in fact, it seems like fighting enemies seems like a burden in this game as it causes you to lose stickers, which you can easily run out of which is more or less an automatic game over in boss battles. Speaking of boss battles, the bosses seems to lack strategy to fight as all that you need to do to defeat them is use a very specific strong sticker (if you try to fight them regularly it's basically suicide), which you may not even have or know to use in the fight. I could ramble on for a while on why I hate this game, but I don't want to get worked up. You're entitled to your own opinion, though.

Man, you really have it out for this game, lol. I certainly understand where you're getting at, though I can't say I had any trouble at all with the stickers (I never ran out and always had strong ones on-hand when I needed them). And while your other points are certainly valid, the things that bothered you bothered me a lot less (I didn't mind the backtracking that much and I didn't find it hard to navigate most of the time). Again, I don't think the game is amazing or anything, but I did like it. Not love it, like it. But we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's a good game or bad, I s'pose. Especially since this isn't a Sticker Star thread :P

While I respect your opinion, I most certainly disagree.

One of these days I'd love to do an opinion piece on the game. While I don't think it's as bad of a game as most (like Jordan) the points that Kamek mentions are extremely valid, and I wouldn't fault anyone for becoming sour on the experience based on that.

But while the game is usually mostly harped upon, one thing you don't hear too often is what it did get right, which is something I'd like to write about at some point. :)

• Like 1

One of these days I'd love to do an opinion piece on the game. While I don't think it's as bad of a game as most (like Jordan) the points that Kamek mentions are extremely valid, and I wouldn't fault anyone for becoming sour on the experience based on that.

But while the game is usually mostly harped upon, one thing you don't hear too often is what it did get right, which is something I'd like to write about at some point. :)

That's not a bad idea, actually. Hell, we could even make that a series and talk about the good points of various other games that often get flak. Now, whether it's a written series or a video series (or both?), that'd be up to you.

So, uh... When is the Mario RPG video feature coming? I was looking forward to it, but then it never came.

So, uh... When is the Mario RPG video feature coming? I was looking forward to it, but then it never came.

It's still coming, likely, but Jordan's been a busy guy as of late, so I dunno. Would love to see it as well!

It's still coming, likely, but Jordan's been a busy guy as of late, so I dunno. Would love to see it as well!

So wait, are these GP countdowns decided by Jordan, the GP staff, or just GP members in general?

So wait, are these GP countdowns decided by Jordan, the GP staff, or just GP members in general?

It's mostly Jordan, though he did get some input from us for this one.

It's mostly Jordan, though he did get some input from us for this one.

And while I do plan on creating the initial lists myself, I also plan on asking for feedback and have the staff help mold the list into something we can agree upon. Just like I did for this one. It is, after all, the Game Podunk YouTube channel.

Anyway, it's taking a lot more time to get around to the RPG one than I'd hoped, but I still have plans to get it out there. In fact, I'll be making non-giveaway videos again soon, so after I get through a certain series of Pokemon videos I meant to make a long time ago, I'll work on that Mario RPG video  :)​ 

• Like 1

And while I do plan on creating the initial lists myself, I also plan on asking for feedback and have the staff help mold the list into something we can agree upon. Just like I did for this one. It is, after all, the Game Podunk YouTube channel.

Anyway, it's taking a lot more time to get around to the RPG one than I'd hoped, but I still have plans to get it out there. In fact, I'll be making non-giveaway videos again soon, so after I get through a certain series of Pokemon videos I meant to make a long time ago, I'll work on that Mario RPG video  :)​ 

Mario RPG is one of my all time favorite games and I love that it inspired a bunch of spiritual successors. I look forward to both that video and the Pokemon ones!