HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Ciel

Batman v Superman Trailer

Tell me, do you bleed?

I am not a fan of Zack Snyder at all or Superman and to be honest I am pretty sick of Batman. But this looks interesting if only for the epic battle that is seemingly about to occur at the end of the trailer. You can watch a cam-recording of the trailer here in decent quality. What do you think? And someone fill me in, why does Batman sound like a robot of sorts? 

Update: Official release

I was severely disappointed in that trailer and have little faith in that movie now.

That's actually one of the first superhero films I've been turned off to because the tone just seems needlessly grimdark. It works for Daredevil and it works for Batman because both characters' stories are dark, but for Superman? Get that out of here.

I'll still probably see the movie just out of curiosity, but have no expectations for it. Which is a shame, because I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel; that's about as dark as I'd tolerate for a superhero like Superman. I really hope part of it is just that they're playing up the whole "grimdark tone" just for the trailer's sake but the actual movie isn't quite as dark.

Also, I assume Batman's voice is robotic-sounding due to the suit/armor that he's wearing.

Why is Superman not allowed to be dark? I'm not a comic book guy, unless its Wolverine or Deadpool.

Why is Superman not allowed to be dark? I'm not a comic book guy, unless its Wolverine or Deadpool.

It's less about Superman being "allowed" to be dark and more about today's mantra about making every superhero dark and gritty, as if that alone ensures a good story. It doesn't.

But back to the point on Superman, it's fine to tell dark stories with Superman, but at his core, Superman represents hope and light and generally a grimdark tone doesn't work well with his character. To put it differently, what they're trying to do with Superman in this movie is exactly the same as trying to give Batman a lighter mood and making him funny and such like they did with the Adam West TV series and the Joel Schumacher movies from the '90s; it just doesn't work.

There's a way to tell the story in BvS (that hopefully we're just not seeing all of at this point) without resorting to such grimdark moods as the trailer implies. Right now it just feels like pandering at its finest.

But back to the point on Superman, it's fine to tell dark stories with Superman, but at his core, Superman represents hope and light and generally a dark tone doesn't work well with his character.

But wouldn't you agree that Superman as a beacon of 'hope' and 'light' would be more effective by placing him in the construct of a dark and gritty narrative; an essentially human narrative. In other words, what he represents means something more--at least to me--if he travels down a dark path, even motions toward it. Even hints at showing he has the capacity to do so. Who is more virtuous? The man that knows he is capable of sin, but does not, or the man who has never thought about sinning in the first place? To me, it is the former. Feel free to replace 'sin' with whatever bad thing you want. Now I do not suspect that is what is really going on here, but still. 

Jerry Siegel is working on the script, so there's that.

But wouldn't you agree that Superman as a beacon of 'hope' and 'light' would be more effective by placing him in the construct of a dark and gritty narrative; an essentially human narrative. In other words, what he represents means something more--at least to me--if he travels down a dark path, even motions toward it. Even hints at showing he has the capacity to do so. Who is more virtuous? The man that knows he is capable of sin, but does not, or the man who has never thought about sinning in the first place? To me, it is the former. Feel free to replace 'sin' with whatever bad thing you want. Now I do not suspect that is what is really going on here, but still. 

I get what you're referring to, but like I mentioned earlier, there's a way to do "dark" storytelling without being gritty or grimdark at the same time. If it were dark in the same sense that The Dark Knight is, that would be great. What they showed in the trailer reminds me more of Watchmen and 300 than anything remotely comic book-like, and is 100x more bleak than any Batman movie. Which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising since Zack Snyder directed those as well. But as a contrast, Man of Steel was effectively dark without overdoing it (IMO).

I dunno. I'm not saying Superman needs to be sunshine and lollipops (far from it), and I like that they're exploring what Superman represents for humans and whether they should trust him, but from what the trailer shows me, the tone just doesn't seem right. Again, maybe it's just the trailer; maybe it just misrepresents the whole of the movie by focusing on the Batman versus Superman fight and there's a lot more to it, and it's not all grimdark. We'll see.

• Like 1

*in a conference room at Warner Bros.*

"So let's go over this again to make sure we've covered everything:

• EPIC QUICK FADES! Check!
  • GRITTY NARRATION! Check!
  • ACTUAL DARKNESS! Check!
  • INCEPTION HORNS! Check!

"Well I think we've pretty much covered all the important bases. This formula has worked at least once in the past so I feel this is the proper direction with which to take all future properties. Good job everyone!"

*everyone nods in agreement before moving on to growling Batman impressions*

• Like 2

*in a conference room at Warner Bros.*

"So let's go over this again to make sure we've covered everything:

• EPIC QUICK FADES! Check!
  • GRITTY NARRATION! Check!
  • ACTUAL DARKNESS! Check!
  • INCEPTION HORNS! Check!

"Well I think we've pretty much covered all the important bases. This formula has worked at least once in the past so I feel this is the proper direction with which to take all future properties. Good job everyone!"

*everyone nods in agreement before moving on to growling Batman impressions*

I have a habit of counting how many "fade to black" are in each trailer. I have the numbers sitting around in a notebook somewhere, actually. Maybe I'll find it and post it up. It covers about two years of action films. I had nothing better to do at school...

I think it looks pretty cool and reminds me a lot of the epic movie The Dark Knight Returns only in reverse with Superman the bad guy. It's a cam video so it's hard to tell much from that and the trailer might just be focusing on one part of the movie not the whole. This is the begining of the Justice league so it can't be super dark.

You can pretty much tell how the movie is gonna go by watching the trailer. The media fears/distrusts Superman, Batman sees him as a threat and gets his attention, they punch each other for 20 minutes until Lex Luthor launches his evil plan, omg common enemy, greater good, we're not so different you and I, approving nod, roll credits. Post credits scene shows Bruce getting funding for a space station and Supes meeting Wonder Woman.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat, and I don't have a hat, so it should be an intriguing spectacle.

• Like 2

Don't forget the obligatory scene where we have to watch Batman's parents die AGAIN.

If there's one thing I wish we had more of in superhero movies, it's origin stories.

The trailer would have been better if Han and Chewie had popped up at the End!

• Like 2

Why do people have to analyze everything and pick it apart? Can't people just watch a movie and have fun and enjoy it like I do without the need to criticize every little thing. Maybe it's time for another Making Sense Out of Nonsense.

Updated with the official trailer. Now we can see the all the little--and somewhat interesting--details.

Ign breaks down the trailer. Very interesting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/18/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-rewind-theater?watch

Let me start off by saying I will watch the movie and I hope it is good.

But this trailer is pretty weak, especially after watching IGN breakdown video in my opinion.

I honestly didn't know or thought they would fight. But let's be honest, we know how the fight will go because the only way Batman will win is through kryptonite. I never read the comics so I don't know all the details of story wise and how they fight or met or became best bud. But if the whole movie is to just lead up to this final fight and then maybe a twist at the end to lead into another movie then well I don't think it'll do much for me.

• Like 1

Why do people have to analyze everything and pick it apart? Can't people just watch a movie and have fun and enjoy it like I do without the need to criticize every little thing. Maybe it's time for another Making Sense Out of Nonsense.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

I'll leave this with all of you.

First trailer answers if Superman bleeds or not.

It's less about Superman being "allowed" to be dark and more about today's mantra about making every superhero dark and gritty, as if that alone ensures a good story. It doesn't.

That's more of a DC thing though. The Marvel movies seem like they go for a bit brighter world, still filled with one liners and general cheesiness. Which is good, in a live action super hero movie, that's something I want. Something I'm already frankly confused at though- Why does Batman have a robotic voice? Like seriously? Didn't they hear enough negative feedback from Christian Bale's voice difference for Batman? I dunno... I'm more excited about what this movie means for the future of DC movies and such, not so much the movie itself, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Looks good. It will be a totally different kind of movie than The Dark Knight movies.

Imax trailer event is pretty much the same trailer, but this scene was after the titles in the trailer.
Iha5XJ4.gif

Also do you bleed funny...

u27Ozpr.jpg

• Like 3

That's more of a DC thing though. The Marvel movies seem like they go for a bit brighter world, still filled with one liners and general cheesiness. Which is good, in a live action super hero movie, that's something I want. Something I'm already frankly confused at though- Why does Batman have a robotic voice? Like seriously? Didn't they hear enough negative feedback from Christian Bale's voice difference for Batman? I dunno... I'm more excited about what this movie means for the future of DC movies and such, not so much the movie itself, if that makes sense.

Was there negative feedback on Christian Bale voice? I had no idea. It to me seem to make Batman more scary which I would think is the idea. But also if you think about it, it should make sense that you want to mask your real voice so others can't tell who you are from your voice. I think in anime though it is always voice acted by the same person though so you always hear the same voice which makes it a lot easier haha.