HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Is Eating Healthy A Priority For You?

I have to admit that up until this year, I would largely eat what I wanted whenever I wanted to. Unfortunately, as with age, your metabolism slows, so the subject of eating healthier has been on my mind a lot more recently.

Although I seem to carry my weight pretty well (some people confuse me with being skinny), I am somewhat over my ideal weight (although not obese) for a person my age and height, so I'm trying to cut back on a lot of things, such as anything made with white flour (enriched or otherwise) and sugar, as well as other things that are high in calorie-count or fat.

It's been a little hard as I do enjoy things like donuts, soda, cookies, and hamburgers, but those things do contribute a lot to putting on pounds, so I'm currently trying to avoid them as well as incorporating more fruits and vegetables in my diet (and drinking more water).

Anyhow, we'll see what happens, but I'm hopeful this routine will lead to a more satisfactory weight and such (as well as having more energy and whatnot).

What about you? Do you watch a lot of what you eat, or do you just eat whatever and think little of it?

I try to eat healthy, but as a poor college student that isn't really an option. Being a vegetarian (and vegan when I have the option too helps) but I choose neither for health reasons. I feel gross, like my body shuts down, if I eat stuff that I know isn't good for me.

Not... really.  I mean, I do typically follow the 'everything in moderation' rule, but I don't really eat all that healthy overall.  I do try to keep track of my calorie count to make sure I'm not going too crazy, though.

It's just that, for the most part, healthier foods are either too pricy, or they spoil quickly because they're fresh.  I'm only one person, and I'm only feeding myself, so I find it hard to justify buying fresh greens and fruit when a good majority of it will go to waste.  Yeah, I know, I can buy only small quantities of fruit, and usually I do, but I try not to put *too* much sugar into my body.

Overall, I just try to cut out the really bad stuff.  So far, I've cut out caffeine, and am now trying to cut my soda intake as much as possible.  Sorta hard when soda's free at work, but hey, I don't drink any at home and only drink a small cup of Sprite at work, so I'm making good progress.  I'm also cutting out as much baked goods as possible (they're a weakness of mine...).  After I've successfully done that, I don't know, though.  It's difficult to simply cut carbs or do super diets, so I just do what I can to try and stay somewhat healthy.

• Like 1

I've always been a fairly big binge eater, and I can't really help myself from eating quite a bit in certain situations. Eh, I'm at the age where you can stuff yourself with high-fructose corn syrup and gain hardly any weight (thank you metabolism), so I'll take advantage of that. Besides, my diet consists mainly of fruit, and I don't think fruit typically contains very many calories in comparison to other food groups, anyway.

I'm ashame to say this, but I've been eating whatever I want because it's my last semester here. I go all out at the dining hall and food court with my bulldog credits. Sigh. I've gained so much weight it's not even funny. I keep telling myself go workout and gym, but I just end up failing my goals. Although I can finally stop eating when this semester ends since I'm glad there will be no buffet at home lol. Also I cannot resist pizza ever.

Pfft, no. All I care about is whether or not the food is yummy. If it's yummy, it's getting eaten, pending transformation into an amorphous blob be damned.

• Like 1

I eat fairly healthy but I drink quite a bit which keeps me from becoming overly skinny >_>

I try to eat healthy and a lot less so I can lose more weights. I want to be 150lbs. I don't even know what my weight is. I think I have dropped weight but not enough. I'm not fat though but definitely not skinny. Although 150lbs might be a bit too skinny. As that was my weight when I graduated college and boy I was definitely a lot skinner.

It is tough though, living with my mom who cook so well makes it hard. You just eat so much. And also having a sister who feeds me a lot too. But I do walk a lot especially when I am at work to get my exercise in. I rarely get to eat at work. Sometimes I'll go 11 hours straight without eating just because we get so busy (I don't get a lunch break at work). So it is bad, very bad and not healthy. But all I do is drink water at work, a lot. So that is good. I drink water a lot. I do try to watch now as I am older about being more healthy. It sucks though because when I eat a lot less I just get so hungry :(.

I try to eat healthy and a lot less so I can lose more weights. I want to be 150lbs. I don't even know what my weight is. I think I have dropped weight but not enough. I'm not fat though but definitely not skinny. Although 150lbs might be a bit too skinny. As that was my weight when I graduated college and boy I was definitely a lot skinner.

It is tough though, living with my mom who cook so well makes it hard. You just eat so much. And also having a sister who feeds me a lot too. But I do walk a lot especially when I am at work to get my exercise in. I rarely get to eat at work. Sometimes I'll go 11 hours straight without eating just because we get so busy (I don't get a lunch break at work). So it is bad, very bad and not healthy. But all I do is drink water at work, a lot. So that is good. I drink water a lot. I do try to watch now as I am older about being more healthy. It sucks though because when I eat a lot less I just get so hungry :(.

Isn't it illegal to not get at least a half hour break if you're working above a certain hour threshold?  My managers would start freaking out at anyone that worked above 5 hours that they HAVE TO take a break.

Maybe that's just a Florida state law, but still, that's just ridiculous.

Also, 150 seems kinda skinny for a guy.  That's my overall target goal, but that might be a bit unhealthy even for my build (that is, if I gain some muscle like I want to).  I'm average height too, so most guys are taller than me.

Also, 150 seems kinda skinny for a guy.  That's my overall target goal, but that might be a bit unhealthy even for my build (that is, if I gain some muscle like I want to).  I'm average height too, so most guys are taller than me.

It really depends on height and muscle mass, actually. For example, you could still be 150 even if you were 5'11 or 6'0, if you had the muscle mass and low BMI. A typical/ideal body weight for men around that height is more around 160-180, though.

Isn't it illegal to not get at least a half hour break if you're working above a certain hour threshold?  My managers would start freaking out at anyone that worked above 5 hours that they HAVE TO take a break.

Maybe that's just a Florida state law, but still, that's just ridiculous.

I think for my height 150 would be good. But I would be more on the skinny side.

I don't know how Publix gets away with it but they do. I guess you technically gets break during down time but realistically you never do because of how busy you are. I have heard that they said they wouldn't mind giving us 30 minutes break but we would have to be open 30 extra minutes and I am like F that. We stay late enough for a full day, that 30 minutes isn't worth it.

I think for my height 150 would be good. But I would be more on the skinny side.

I don't know how Publix gets away with it but they do. I guess you technically gets break during down time but realistically you never do because of how busy you are. I have heard that they said they wouldn't mind giving us 30 minutes break but we would have to be open 30 extra minutes and I am like F that. We stay late enough for a full day, that 30 minutes isn't worth it.

Well, to be honest, my Publix gets away with some... shady shiz as well, at least in my department, so I'm not too surprised with that craziness they're pulling there.  My managers were pretty damn crazy about breaks and overtime (unless they ABSOLUTELY needed to schedule people for it), but with scheduling and other matters they pull some seriously BS stuff.  Like, on Twitter I've ranted multiple times about the way they scheduled me made it so that I couldn't actually sleep appropriately and made me feel sick all the time... and that's only gotten worse since a bunch of people quite or cut their hours down massively due to that stuff.

But... I'm getting off-topic.  Just know that you could *probably* report them to the BBB if you ever... want to.  Make sure to look into the specifics first, of course, lol.

It really depends on height and muscle mass, actually. For example, you could still be 150 even if you were 5'11 or 6'0, if you had the muscle mass and low BMI. A typical/ideal body weight for men around that height is more around 160-180, though.

Hmm, you do have a good point.  I don't have anything else to add other than that, I just wanted to acknowledge it. :3

• Like 1