HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Splatoon Global Testfire - Thoughts From Playing?

I missed last night's first test run of Splatoon Global Testfire, but I managed to get in almost half an hour toward the end of the last 1-hour time period today where it was going on.

My thoughts on the game? I think it's pretty fantastic and could see myself losing a lot of time to this just on multiplayer online matches alone. It's probably not something you could play for hours on end, but for half-an-hour to an hour, it's definitely a lot of fun. Definitely competitive as well.

I hope they somehow are able to get customized matches with friends to work at some point, with the option to even teams out by grabbing anonymous players looking for matches.

If you played it, what do you think? I know at least KrazyKamek, Barrel, Chris, and a few others played, so lets hear those thoughts. :D

I don't have the game but if other Podunkers have it and want to do game nights I'll grab it :) It looks pretty cool.

I don't have the game but if other Podunkers have it and want to do game nights I'll grab it :) It looks pretty cool.

I would love to do game nights with it, but I'm actually not certain just yet if we can actually make dedicated matches for friends. I'm hearing conflicting things about it at the moment. But I would still recommend getting this anyway; it's a blast!

I hope they somehow are able to get customized matches with friends to work at some point, with the option to even teams out by grabbing anonymous players looking for matches.

In the Direct, they mentioned that in a post-game update, you'll be able to make a team of friends and search for other teams to battle, or make an 8-player battle full of people from your friends list. I didn't see anything about how the base game works, so I assume it's probably like the Testfire and everyone just gets randomly thrown into a pending match.

Anyway, I had an absolute blast playing it. ^_^ While I was definitely interested in the game before, I wasn't sure I could get into something with a heavy focus on competitive multiplayer since I'm not usually fond of it outside of Smash and Mario Kart. After playing, I'm stoked to hop into the full game and hose down (or roll over :D) the opposition. I'm of course interested in the singleplayer too, but I was really surprised how much I enjoyed actually playing a game against random people for once.

I still haven't decided if I'll buy it at launch, but if I find any good deals before launch, I just might have to wrap my tentacles around it.

• Like 1

I didn't love it. I feel like I got it too quickly and there wasn't much beyond it (Wildcard told me they will be adding unlocks for months to come but I feel like it is a bit more than that that is my problem). I'm not even a shooter guy but I just destroyed other teams during the beta by never really losing matches and would place 1st or 2nd consistently. I'm not even trying to brag I just... felt unsatisfied while playing the entire time.

Like, I think it just needs more variety and mechanical depth. Sure, there were only four weapons in the Demo (and I played them all), and I hope there are more maps, but I felt like I was playing most matches the same way and wasn't encouraged to change it up. I think the squid mechanic is the only thing that stands out to me in particular where... even then, it didn't feel as fast and mobile as I'd like (It felt more like a clutch dodge and maybe to save a few seconds if you die and want to catch up to your team, but you can also just use the gamepad too.). I dunno how I feel about multiplayer beyond how I would be surprised if the community lasts very long for it... because beyond the initial setting novelty I just don't think it has much depth.

But whatever, I've seen glowing opinions on twitter thus far (I'm currently the outlier, it seems) and it was obviously a demo. I don't hate it I just thought it was only... ok. For me, however, I think I would rather just go through the single player and could live without playing the multiplayer ever again. I feel like I got a good feel of the multiplayer after the demo...(sort of like I did with that Destiny beta, where I felt like there wasn't much beyond it... and I was right.)

Didn't play the beta, but my bro did on my account. It was enough for him to buy the game at launch and I was surprised because we don't usually buy games on launch and wait for it to be cheaper. Welp if it it satisfied him enough he'd get it. He already bought it digitally on my account so just have to wait til the game comes out. I'm coming in not knowing much and that's a great feeling to be excited for. Looking forward to playing with some of you guys when we have gaming nights.

I want to play this real bad. It hurts. I'll pick it up for game nights. I wish I had a capture card so I could make it our first official Let's Play stream thing during a Game Night.

ICYMI, Nintendo announced they're doing one more hour-long Testfire session on May 23 from 3-4 PM PST. Pretty sure I'll be there so to ease the wait until my copy that I decided to pre-order arrives. :D

• Like 1

ICYMI, Nintendo announced they're doing one more hour-long Testfire session on May 23 from 3-4 PM PST. Pretty sure I'll be there so to ease the wait until my copy that I decided to pre-order arrives. :D

I will be there as well. I won't be able to get the game right away unless I get one of these jobs I have an interview for. 

So you did decide to buy it on Day 1 then, eh? :)

I'm hoping BB will deliver with Day 1 delivery, so we'll see if I get mine then.

Lucky me I have the 23rd off so I can jump into this test fire and see if it's worth getting. Maybe we might end up in a game together :)

So you did decide to buy it on Day 1 then, eh? :)

I'm hoping BB will deliver with Day 1 delivery, so we'll see if I get mine then.

Yep. I enjoyed the Testfire and Nintendo and other Twitter accounts are really hyping the game up, showing off single-player, and just generally making it really hard to not want to play the game right freakin' now. xD