HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

What are some must-own PSP games?

In light of Gaiages' best of Wii thread recently, I thought I'd do one for the PSP, especially since I've gone back to playing some of my backlog games on there that I haven't gotten to until now.

So these are the games I currently own on PSP:

• Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (the game that made me get a PSP)
  • Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
  • Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
  • LittleBigPlanet PSP
  • Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
  • GTA: Liberty City Stories (PS Plus)
  • Pursuit Force (got it from that PS settlement a few years back)
  • Modnation Racers (got it from that PS settlement a few years back)
  • Rockband Unplugged
  • Daxter
  • Secret Agent Clank
  • Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
  • WipEout PURE
  • Me & My Katamari

There's little else I want atm, but just for the hell of it, what are some other must-have games that you've played?

I dunno about "must-have" but the Powerstone Collection is pretty awesome. If you've never played them, the gameplay has more in common with Smash Bros. than traditional Capcom fighters, except the fighting is done in free-roaming 3D arenas. The games are an absolute blast to play and the PSP version is the only way to get them for a decent price. And if you're into tactical RPGs and don't already have the original version, don't miss Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness.

Other than those, I'm not sure. I'm not knowledgeable about portable RPGs (which is what people like the PSP for) so someone else will have to fill you in there.

• Like 1

I have this random possible list I was thinking about writing for GP that would cover a bajillion different genres but it got a bit too big and I was too lazy to clean it up.

The PSP had a pretty solid library (with a lot of hidden gems) and it depends on what you want out of it. I dug it for RPGs in particular but I would be willing to argue that it had pretty solid non-RPG stuff too. Like Sony alone put out Patapon, Killzone Liberation, Resistance Retribution, LocoRoco, Ghost of Sparta, etc, and they were basically better than most first party Sony stuff nowadays. Honestly, if I typed my favorites I'd have a stupid long post in this thread (and would include imports too...). Still, I could see you liking Megaman: Powered Up (a much better remake thingy than Maverick X.) at the very least, Jason.

Fate/Extra of course. 

If you like puzzle games I would get Lumines.

I only have a few minutes so I'll name more later, but here's some stuff off the top of my head.

- The Sting RPGs are a great start (Yggdra Union, Rivirea, Gungnir).  Even if you have the GBA copies of the first two, the PSP copies are worth the purchase due to extra content and more balanced difficulty for Yggdra.

- If you don't own a version of them already, you might as well grab FFI and FFII for PSP, they're good ports :)

- I don't really like playing fighting games on the PSP, but Final Fantasy Dissidia deodecim and Darkstalkers Chronicles are good ones to pick up.

- I *would* recommend Falcom's games on the system (Ys, Gurumin, etc), but... most of those got ported to Steam, if not all of them, so yeah.

I'll think of more later~

Well like others have said PSP is mostly all about them RPG's but has some other goodies as well. I have 28 PSP games but I'll stick to the ones I have played and know are good.

For the RPG's you already have some so I'll just add to those with Growlanser: Wayfarer of time, Star Ocean 1 and 2, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Wild Arms XF, Parasite Eve The 3rd Birthday, Persona 1-2 and The legend of heroes: A tear of vermillion.

Growlanser is all about it's fun combat system for me and the cool anime art style. It's sad the US didn't get all of the Growlanser games but the 4 we did get are awesome. It has over 40 different endings o_o

Parasite Eve was one of my favorite PS1 series so I was very excited to see a 3rd title come out on PSP. If you have not played these games then you need to go find the first two on PS1 they are awesome.

Moving on to non-RPG's we have the Metal Gear games Acid, Portable ops and Peace walker.

Well thats my list hope it helps.

Like Barrel, I most use and want to use my PSP for JRPGs. Like...

- Persona

- Persona 2

- Persona 3 Portable

- Star Ocean

- Star Ocean 2

- Tales of the World Radiant Mythology

- Disgaea

- Disgaea 2

And a bunch others, obviously some named already. But yeah, I mean, the PSP, to me at least, struck it big with RPGs and JRPGs, but in terms of other games, I wasn't too fond of 'em. Funny that the Vita is just basically a more fancy PSP. Still using it for RPGs and JRPGs.

Why has no one said Jeanne D'Arc yet? That totally needs a mention. It's a great SRPG historical fanfiction re-imagining of Joan of Arc's war to liberate France from Britain's rule from Level-5. Oh and La Hire is a lion. Don't not play it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy 012 (duodecim). Seriously. I've spent 700 hours playing this game. I'm not joking. It's a Final Fantasy fighting game that blends custom moves, 3D fighting, RPG elements, customizable/craftable equipment, a robust single player campaign that includes the entirety of the first game's story... well I could go on. Oh. And it has StreetPass. On PSP. No, really.

Metal Gear AC!D2. I love it, others might not, so that's ok. But it's an impeccably designed card based tactical espionage experience. That might not make any sense, and the game doesn't as a whole, but there's tons of clever puzzle elements that you can unlock after you beat a level and go back for the extra challenges. It's neat!

Death Jr. A glitchy, but pretty impressive platforming action game much like the "mascot platformers" we used to get back in the day. The scale impressed me quite a bit back in the day, but admittedly I haven't played it since.

Ys Seven. A great game, especially if you've played Memories of Celceta this one will definitely also be up your alley.

Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade. It is a totally shameless Diablo clone, but in the best way, with 4-person ad-hoc local multiplayer. Literally every other Untold Legends game sucks. Don't buy those. Buy this one. 

Also others mentioned previously that I'll second (or third or fourth in certain cases) Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Star Ocean First Departure, Star Ocean Second Evolution, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, WipEout Pure, Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II PSP, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness... etc.

• Like 1