HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Ludono

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."

Welp.

giphy.gif

Saw this earlier as well. I actually don't have the same attachment to Konami that so many others do, but it's still kind of sad to see this happen.

Apparently they're not abandoning console games completely, so I'm interested to see if they do try to keep MGS going. There was a rumor that the CEO wasn't happy that Kojima would always take so long with each entry, so we could possibly see MGS games that every two years or so if that's the case.

Otherwise, yeah, good luck on going mobile; pretty sure that won't last long. :/

Well thats the end of another big name studio :( If mobile is the future then I'm done with games.

Saw this earlier as well. I actually don't have the same attachment to Konami that so many others do, but it's still kind of sad to see this happen.

Apparently they're not abandoning console games completely, so I'm interested to see if they do try to keep MGS going. There was a rumor that the CEO wasn't happy that Kojima would always take so long with each entry, so we could possibly see MGS games that every two years or so if that's the case.

Otherwise, yeah, good luck on going mobile; pretty sure that won't last long. :/

Great lets annualize Metal Gear, just what everyone was asking for.... and while we're at it lets do a Metal Gear Solid Endless Runner on mobile!

But yeah I think it was mostly the fact that Konami had invested so much into the new FOX Engine which currently has only one game using it... MGSV. 

Ugh. I guess it's not that surprising, when you really only have four relevant IPs and only two that you're actually using (MGS and PES) you're not going to see a lot of point in making console games that won't do GTA or CoD levels of sales. Still, I don't doubt that Silent Hills would have made a lot of money and that people would like to see new IPs and the return of old ones, but I guess we'll just have to do without.

I just hope they keep releasing Virtual Console/PS1-PS2 Classics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cut that out too.

our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

I really like this sentence. Yes, let's stop non-invasive DLC that was already pissing people off and start selling games piece by piece because people are going to LOVE that even more. Also I love how "features" is in quotes as if its not a real thing.

I don't really care to see Metal Gear without Kojima, unless it's another action spin-off by Platinum. Even though it's quite possibly my favorite gaming franchise, the numbered installments are over for me with Kojima's departure. The Phantom Pain will be my last. Nobody out there is going to be able to make a Metal Gear game as good or better than the previous ones without him; There's too much of his own personality and interests imbedded into them. 

I'm kinda glad Kojima left Konami at this point. With them focusing on smartphone gaming and saying crap like "It's the future of gaming", well, I'd rather his name not be tarnished by being associated with that type of garbage.

I think I'm more upset by the fact of what this did for big name titles in the works. What does this mean for MGSV? Is it still coming out? I know Silent Hills got cancelled, so we're most likely never going to see the title we need as a reboot or fresh entry in the series. I guess this also explains why Iga is making Bloodstained, or at least a good thing that he is since with the move to Mobile from Konami. Honestly though, apart from MGS, Silent Hill, and Castlevania, Konami hasn't done anything big...or produced anything big I should say, since a majority of their big titles are developed by other companies. I can't pretend like I'm angry about anything except for what happened to Silent Hills since there literally isn't a single other title they were working on that I had any attachment to. Sure, I'd love to see more Castlevania titles, but after the Lords of Shadow 2 flop, pretty sure we're not seeing that franchise again for a long long time. I enjoyed MGS3...but considering it's the only one in the series I've ever played, I can't really say I was super pumped for MGSV, except that Multiplayer did look hilariously awesome.

I think I'm more upset by the fact of what this did for big name titles in the works. What does this mean for MGSV? Is it still coming out?

They did reiterate that MGSV will be completed and hopefully out later this year (as Kojima is still working on that; after which he'll be free of Konami forever). After that? Who knows what happens to Metal Gear. Hopefully it doesn't become a mobile-only franchise. :unsure:

Hahhahahahahahahahaha. AH HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA hehehehehehehe hoohohohooho AHOIHHfHAHIOHF HHAHAHAHA ahahahahahha lolololl laomloa lamo ahahahahhhh gggjioer COUGH COUGH ahahhahahhah hahah

f58908fbc9096bb4bb995de242433bf5.jpg

tumblr_lwwnnplFyj1r96ahfo1_400.gif

zaVEWTg.gif

Best news I've heard in a while. God what a crap company.

Sad to hear. I hope they don't try to annualize MGS. Hey, at least you guys can now have your Castlevania and what not on mobile right?

While I've had Metal Gear fatigue since IV, it is still depressing to imagine even more bad mobile MGS games.... and without a much better console alternative. Also, I feel like my heart will break if I hear them say "We are making a new Suikoden!..... on mobile!... and it is barely a game and just a really gross energy system." Realistically, the things I cared about from Konami are long gone since the Suikoden team was disbanded a while ago, Silent Hill was dead (almost revived with PT, but we saw what happened), 2d Caslevania is elsewhere. and Kojima is gone so no ZOE or MGS....but geez, talk about a company that would've been better just disappearing (and having other companies scoop up their properties) than... this.

Sad to hear. I hope they don't try to annualize MGS. Hey, at least you guys can now have your Castlevania and what not on mobile right?

I think Castlevania is dead to Konami even on mobile. They dug that series into the ground with Lords of Shadow and Igarashi is super gone to make anything close to a 2D one.

I think Castlevania is dead to Konami even on mobile. They dug that series into the ground with Lords of Shadow and Igarashi is super gone to make anything close to a 2D one.

That is pretty sad to hear.

Just wait for Konami's Silent Hill x Farmville mobile game.

RN3nDaG.jpg

• Like 3