HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Rumor: Nikkei Reports NX Will Be Android-Based

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO...5A520C1000000/ (via NeoGAF)

The Nikkei put up an editorial earlier today about Nintendo's partnership with DeNA. It's a pretty long article (and you need an account to read most of it, so unless you sign up that link is kinda useless), but most of it is about historical connections and basically an overview on the relationship.

The interesting part is that the article starts by discussing Nintendo's next platform - the one Iwata codenamed NX. They have an insider source who claims that the OS for the platform will be Android based, and that it is a paradigm shift for Nintendo business-wise. The source goes on to say that when third parties abandoned Nintendo's WiiU one by one, it caused turning point in the company. So while they have had a philosophy of developing their own software and hardware concepts internally for all these years, they are now prepared to embrace a more open platform with Android, to allow developers more flexibility in making content that can also be on smartphones and tablets.

Honestly, I don't know how much to believe here, but the second paragraph does make some interesting remarks, and I could see it happening for reasons pertaining to trying to get as many third parties on as possible.

If Android supports Unity and even some of the engines that are now being used like Unreal Engine 4, it would make porting a lot easier for many third parties in addition to smaller devs and indies alike. Of course, that doesn't guarantee anyone will come running back to Nintendo, but making the platform more open development-wise is definitely a start.

On the other hand, this is Android we're talking about. Would Nintendo be able to use it to the fullest to get the most out of their games? Maybe, but I really don't know.

What do you think? Is this baloney, or could you see it happening?

Hmm, if this is true then they just drop out of the console race? Or will they wait it out until the PS5 and Xbox 2 comes out and make another console?

I mean this is strange and I'm not sure if it really will happen. Maybe it will. Not sure how receptive of myself on playing more games on my phone. Sure some quick fun games but like a real big time game on it that takes maybe like 4 gb of data or more to store and etc? I am not sure of this yet.

They've more or less already confirmed NX is a home console, right? Because I don't see them using a mobile platform to power it if that's the case. Yeah, Nintendo has always kinda done their own thing and they could use some tricks to make their home systems more open to third party developers, but I don't think the point there would be so people could easily port smartphone games to it. The whole reason Nintendo is getting into the mobile market in the first place seems to be so they can capitalize on their own successes, not the other way around.

They've more or less already confirmed NX is a home console, right? Because I don't see them using a mobile platform to power it if that's the case. Yeah, Nintendo has always kinda done their own thing and they could use some tricks to make their home systems more open to third party developers, but I don't think the point there would be so people could easily port smartphone games to it. The whole reason Nintendo is getting into the mobile market in the first place seems to be so they can capitalize on their own successes, not the other way around.

I don't know if they've specifically mentioned that it's a console; I think I've only ever heard them refer to it as a new platform, so we'll see. There's still heavy speculation that this could be the bridge device that acts as a console and handheld in one, so if that's the case, I could kind of see them going for Android.

Still, if it does, that would be bad for backwards compatibility, I'd imagine. :(

Eh… An Android based console seems kind of unnecessary. Apps are really only played due to convenience and ease considering that most smartphone owners carry their phones around everywhere for other reasons. Creating a Smartphone like device possibly only made for these app like games seems kind of unorthodox and probably won't sell well, so I doubt it's true.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Nintendo Co. shot down a report that said it was planning on using the Android operating system to run its top secret next-generation console, which has been codenamed “NX.é

“There is no truth to the report saying that we are planning to adopt Android for NX,é a Nintendo spokesman said.

THANK GOODNESS! xD

• Like 1

CALLED IT

• Like 1

Thank god!