HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Rumor: Nintendo Releasing NX in 2016??

You just know there are bound to be some wild rumors whenever a new console/platform is on the horizon. Case in point, Digitimes is reporting that Nintendo is commissioning Foxconn to manufacture their next console (codenamed 'NX'), and that orders are expected to be finalized in February or March 2016, with mass production happening in May or June, and then a release possibly in July or around then.

Best to take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt, however, since there are a few things that are seemingly off about this information.

The biggest inconsistency is that the source is reporting that Nintendo is looking to ship 20 million units of NX in the first year while Wii U is only expected to ship 2 million for 2015. To put this in perspective, Wii U only sold about 3 million over its first holiday, and not even Sony can ship 20 million units of PS4 in one year for the time being, and that's the best-selling console at the moment.

On that note, it's not possible to have Foxconn produce 20 million in one or two months, only to ship out just a month after that. Manufacturing units to stockpile for release takes a good 6-10 months at best, if not longer.

Another the thing - Nintendo rarely announces and releases new consoles/handhelds within the same calendar year. There's always a first for everything, but their past patterns go against this.

On the flipside, it does seem like Nintendo is anxious to roll out its next platform ASAP, so who knows; there may be at least some truth to this. Especially in regards to Foxconn starting to manufacture the console.

Anyhoo, what do you guys think of this? Think there's any truth to it? Would you be surprised to see NX release in 2016?

Isn't that too early? If they do bring it out soon does that mean it is suppose to just be on par compared to the PS4 and X1? I am assuming we won't get a PS5 or X2 for at least another 7 or so years? Which would mean they would need another console when a PS4 and/or X2 roll around.

Way too early. I don't expect to see an NX in any region until 2017.

Isn't that too early? If they do bring it out soon does that mean it is suppose to just be on par compared to the PS4 and X1? I am assuming we won't get a PS5 or X2 for at least another 7 or so years? Which would mean they would need another console when a PS4 and/or X2 roll around.

Way too early. I don't expect to see an NX in any region until 2017.

Yeah, if they ship next year... unless they've been working on games for it for a year or two now, it seems like it would be rushed to the market (kinda like the Wii U?). It certainly wouldn't be enough time for any third parties to get some exclusive/new games onboard beyond ports, so I'm very skeptical about this, but Nintendo has surprised in the past, so anything is possible, I suppose.

Yeah, if they ship next year... unless they've been working on games for it for a year or two now, it seems like it would be rushed to the market (kinda like the Wii U?). It certainly wouldn't be enough time for any third parties to get some exclusive/new games onboard beyond ports, so I'm very skeptical about this, but Nintendo has surprised in the past, so anything is possible, I suppose.

This was a big lesson for the 3DS too. Like, people may have forgotten that the 3DS was real dry for the 1st year (and priced pretty bad too, as much as a Vita actually... despite significantly lower specs.). It is super successful now, but Nintendo totally had the expectation that it would do well without games (and a reasonable price tag) because of the DS's success and they were wrong... until a very significant price drop and 3D Land proving you can make actual games with 3D.

They would have to be pretty in at least one of their games to sell NX sometime next year (like a new Pokemon or 2D Mario.).

• Like 1

This was a big lesson for the 3DS too. Like, people may have forgotten that the 3DS was real dry for the 1st year (and priced pretty bad too, as much as a Vita actually... despite significantly lower specs.). It is super successful now, but Nintendo totally had the expectation that it would do well without games (and a reasonable price tag) because of the DS's success and they were wrong... until a very significant price drop and 3D Land proving you can make actual games with 3D.

They would have to be pretty in at least one of their games to sell NX sometime next year (like a new Pokemon or 2D Mario.).

People forget that Wii U was just about as dry too, though, and Nintendo never took drastic action the way they did with 3DS. After the slew of launch games, there was LEGO City Undercover and then... nothing else (but some low-profile third party stuff) until Game & Wario in June of 2012, and then Pikmin 3 started the slew of Fall games in August. But that's pretty much been the repeated pattern for Wii U games over the years; you'll have one or two games in the Spring, and then the rest come out in the Fall. Nintendo really needs to rethink that strategy IMO. I can understand wanting most games for Fall, but they should at least pull the ones they don't know will sell well and use them to fill in gaps in the release schedule throughout the year.

• Like 1