HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
TKtheknight

Need Help: PS3 isn't reading discs

Hey guys just wanted to ask for your guy's help on this. I was playing my PS3 earlier and was playing Medal of Honor: Warfighter. I was on the last level to finish the game and then the game froze. No prob just restart the system and load it back up right? Nope. That didn't work.

My PS3 suddenly can't read discs. I put the disc in and the corner of the screen shows spinning circle indicating that it's trying to read. It goes on forever and nothing loads. I tested out other games to see if it's just the disc being scratched up or dirty. Same problem. I tried DVDs and Bluray movies and does the same thing. Is there any solution to fixing this? I don't have money to buy a new system or send it for repairs. I can play digital games though, but pretty pissed I deleted digital Ratchet and Clank All 4 One cuz I bought the disc version. I can't afford to buy PS+ membership anyways.

Anyways please share any helpful tips, solutions, or whatever to help bring my PS3 back to life reading games. It's a used 2007 model with backwards compatibility Metal Gear 4 bundle. I want to play games. Thanks.

Hey TK,

I haven't had the problem happen to me yet, but it sounds like it's one of two things: Either your Blu-ray laser has stopped working, or the lens need cleaning. Chances are that it may be the latter.

Hopefully someone with experience here can speak up and help you, but in the meantime, I did find these links. Hope they can help in your situation!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PS3-not-playing-blu-ray-or-games-FIXED/td-p/4040195

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/how-to-fix-ps3-faulty-laser-without-getting-a-new-one/td-p/5376694

• Like 1

Yeah most likely the blu ray disc drive/laser being the problem. I tried doing the service thing, but for some reason the site can't find my model/serial number. I also chatted with a rep and one said do the service thing and the other do the rebuild database. I explained my situation. Surprised they didn't even mention the blu ray disc drive/laser thing. Thinking in my head I'm like are they really playstation experts. I tried the rebuilding database and of course that doesn't work (I knew it won't cuz how the fudge does that fix reading discs lol). I'll check those links out. Just mad and grumpy today about this problem. I've never taken apart my PS3 besides putting new HDD. Ugh easier said than done. I might attempt to clean the laser disc or something. For now gonna look for more help. Thanks Jason!

Update: Sony reps are dumb as fudge offering me a 12gb PS3 Slim to replace my rare BC PS3 and having me to pay $149 for the replacement. Eff that shiz.. What's dumb is none of the reps brought up bluray disc drive/laser being the problem when I explained. Also asked if they can replace the bluray disc drive/laser, but they said no cuz my model isn't in the database anymore.

Sorry to hear. But it probably is what Jason mentioned. I never had a problem with this so I don't know what to do.

Maybe try youtube and see if you can find a video on how to fix this?

Yeah will def attempt to fix it. Hopefully won't break it. Last time I tried fixing something I killed my PS2 lol.

If anyone cares none of that worked. I spent 6 hours trying to fix it, took it apart, clean the lenses, put it back in. It still wouldn't read/load the disc. I took it apart again, clean again, and same thing. I followed the video tutorials. The lenses looks clean with no crack. Not sure what the hell is going on and it's making me mad. Disc can get in and the circle thing just keeps reading forever, but not loading the game.

Oh I also switched hard drives and still didn't work. Also did a restore system wiping everything out (I used a hdd don't use anymore so I wouldn't lose my saves, installs, data, dlc, crap, etc.)

Anyways probably have to get a new PS3 or new bluray drive. I could get PS4, but mad that doesn't have a backwards compatibility to play PS3.

I'd be fine to get a new PS3 with no BC. I can just load up my old PS2 games to play PS2 anyways. If anyone can help find me a cheap PS3 or bluray drive online, that be great. Thanks.

Dang, sorry to hear that, TK. :(

Your best bet may be to get a used PS3 off of Cowboom.com. It looks like you can get one for $130, which is $20 cheaper than the replacement that Sony would be sending you. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist in your area; you might be surprised to find some deals on low prices and such.

John K. might have some additional ideas as well if he sees this thread.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason. Lol funny story I bought my first and only PS3 from ebay Cowboom back in 2008. They do have good deals in consoles. John seems to get good deals lately especially that Nintendo haul on twitter the other day. Hmm I should ask GP to help find a good deal in garage sale or any local sale. I've never done Craiglist before. I dunno why I never tried it. Prob cuz of the scary stories lol.

My MGS 4 bundle PS3 died on me a few years back it was very sad to lose everything I had. It was the evil yellow light of death. It really sucked but I got a new PS3 and lost the awesome BC ability but at least I can play games. I still have my PS2 war machine that will never die so that's good.

My original 360 lasted longer than my PS3 but later on got the evil red light of death. Not as big a loss as my PS3 that had 3 generations of games on it PS1,2 and 3. So I got the Halo 4 special edition 360.

Console developers need to learn from the past because it seems these newer ones don't work very well and don't last as long as the great consoles of the past. My PS2 fat not slim is still going strong to this very day and we all know just how unbreakable the NES was even if you throw it across the room it wont even have a scratch.

• Like 1

My old BC PS3 broke 2-3 years ago, though it got the "yellow light of death" (YLOD) instead of the problem you have, so I know how you feel. I managed to fix mine with the help of my step-brother but it was definitely a pain. We had to take it apart and use a soldering iron to re-join some pieces back together.

In your case though.....jeez. I'm not sure how easily that can be fixed. Maybe this link may help. I'm not sure though. :(

Sorry, I know I'm not much help. D:

• Like 1

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier TK.  I see this all the time in consoles I pick up and it is almost exclusively a bad bluray drive.  One of the easiest ways to tell is to put in a regular DVD or PS1 game.  Typically, as a bd goes bad it will continue to sporadically read other discs.  I can probably walk you through ordering and replacing the drive.  If you aren't familiar with switching out parts, then it'd be just throwing away money.  

I'm actually sitting on a SuperSlim PS3 I picked up the other day, but I suspect it is needing this replacement.  I've cleaned the entire unit (it was filled with nasty bugs) and replaced the thermal paste (Sony really cakes it on), but it still has the same issue of shutting off.  If I could be 100% sure it was the *only* problem, I'd order the part and fix it (and just offer it to you for cost+ship)... but I'll likely  wait until I find some more bargain bin "broken" units for parts to fix it just in case it's a motherboard issue.

You should 100% stay away from pawn shop, craigslist and garage sale PS3s if your budget is the same.  People dump their dying/dead systems to pawn shops and craigslist, at which point you're stuck with it.  Not to mention they are usually filled with roaches in some of the worst death poses fit for CSI.

I just ran across this, but I really wish you had sent me a PM/DM about this in the last few days ><''

• Like 1

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier TK.  I see this all the time in consoles I pick up and it is almost exclusively a bad bluray drive.  One of the easiest ways to tell is to put in a regular DVD or PS1 game.  Typically, as a bd goes bad it will continue to sporadically read other discs.  I can probably walk you through ordering and replacing the drive.  If you aren't familiar with switching out parts, then it'd be just throwing away money.  

I'm actually sitting on a SuperSlim PS3 I picked up the other day, but I suspect it is needing this replacement.  I've cleaned the entire unit (it was filled with nasty bugs) and replaced the thermal paste (Sony really cakes it on), but it still has the same issue of shutting off.  If I could be 100% sure it was the *only* problem, I'd order the part and fix it (and just offer it to you for cost+ship)... but I'll likely  wait until I find some more bargain bin "broken" units for parts to fix it just in case it's a motherboard issue.

You should 100% stay away from pawn shop, craigslist and garage sale PS3s if your budget is the same.  People dump their dying/dead systems to pawn shops and craigslist, at which point you're stuck with it.  Not to mention they are usually filled with roaches in some of the worst death poses fit for CSI.

I just ran across this, but I really wish you had sent me a PM/DM about this in the last few days ><''

Yeah I'm under the budget as well to find a replacement. I was definitely going to ask you about this, but I was on vacation for the coast. I'm gonna be on vacation again for the next 2-3 weeks road trip visiting family so will have to wait til I come back for your help and stuff from you or look on eBay for replacements for my fat PS3 or bluray drive. I took the PS3 out to try to clean the drive lenses, but that didn't help. It just won't read all the way. Best bet is def get a new PS3, buy a replacement drive, or replacement parts on eBay somewhere.

I lost my launch PS3 BC console in a break up and bought one of the first non BC fat PS3s. It didn't really bother me because in over a year I never once utilized the BC function. However, I did have the same issue with that console you had in that it stopped reading discs. Actually researching the issue at the time it wasn't uncommon. Well, my warranty was long outdated and the PS3 slim was just announced so I decided to just buy that instead.

It sucks that at this late in the consoles life you have to buy a new one but from my experience the slim models hold up much better. You said BC wasn't a priority so I'd recommend going with a PS3 Slim.