HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jordan Haygood

Dire, Dire Docks / Jolly Roger Bay (8-Bit Remix) | Super Mario 64 x NES

Here is an 8-bit version of Dire, Dire Docks / Jolly Roger Bay (aka "The Water Theme") from Super Mario 64. Basically, it's what the song would sound like if Super Mario 64 were released for the NES.

What video game song would you like me to make an 8-bit version of?

• Like 1

This is fantastic! If you are sticking to Super Mario 64 remixes, the next one I'd like to hear would probably be Bowser's Road. If you are branching out from Mario 64, I've always wanted a full version of TES IV: Oblivion's Auriel's Ascension in 8 bit.

Once again, this is really good stuff, Jordan; great job! I really want to learn how to make my own 8-bit remixes now, haha. :D

Both of Boyman's suggestions are great; I'd second both of them, especially Bowser's Road. It'd be great to hear the snow level theme from Mario 64 as well.

If you want to get really ambitious, it'd be pretty cool to hear the Credits Theme from Skyward Sword, as well as some others, like the Ballad of the Goddess and Lanayru Desert Past.

This is fantastic! If you are sticking to Super Mario 64 remixes, the next one I'd like to hear would probably be Bowser's Road. If you are branching out from Mario 64, I've always wanted a full version of TES IV: Oblivion's Auriel's Ascension in 8 bit.

Thanks! I will most likely do a song from a different game next, so maybe I'll try my hands and ears at the Oblivion song. That said, I'll definitely go back to SM64, and when I do, I'll surely do that song.

Once again, this is really good stuff, Jordan; great job! I really want to learn how to make my own 8-bit remixes now, haha. :D

Both of Boyman's suggestions are great; I'd second both of them, especially Bowser's Road. It'd be great to hear the snow level theme from Mario 64 as well.

If you want to get really ambitious, it'd be pretty cool to hear the Credits Theme from Skyward Sword, as well as some others, like the Ballad of the Goddess and Lanayru Desert Past.

Haha, well I appreciate the praise :P

Like I said in response to BoyMan's post, I'll probably do a song from a different game next. But when I do get back to SM64, the Bowser's Road song will definitely be next, and I'll probably do the snow song after that. Hell, in time, I'll probably have the entire soundtrack converted into 8-bit, lol.

Ah, Skyward Sword is a good one to pick songs from. I'll get to that game eventually.

Thanks! I will most likely do a song from a different game next, so maybe I'll try my hands and ears at the Oblivion song. That said, I'll definitely go back to SM64, and when I do, I'll surely do that song.

Like I said in response to BoyMan's post, I'll probably do a song from a different game next. But when I do get back to SM64, the Bowser's Road song will definitely be next, and I'll probably do the snow song after that. Hell, in time, I'll probably have the entire soundtrack converted into 8-bit, lol.

It's interesting how Mario songs usually end up translating very well to 8-bit, haha. Would be cool to get some Galaxy music at some point as well. :D

That said, how long does it take for you to make one of these remixes on average?

It's interesting how Mario songs usually end up translating very well to 8-bit, haha. Would be cool to get some Galaxy music at some point as well. :D

That said, how long does it take for you to make one of these remixes on average?

I know, right? Though I guess it kinda makes sense, since Koji Kondo's music began in 8-bit. And yeah, I'll definitely do some Galaxy tunes at some point.

Well, it depends on the complexity. Bob-omb Battlefield only took a few days, since it's relatively simple. The artwork took some time to make as well, though in the end, it still took less than a week. This song took longer to make, about 1-2 weeks. But the reason for that was because of the way the song is (as well as my busy schedule). In the game, the song changes depending on your location in the level. So it took a bit of extra time and effort to make it like it is on the OST, which is basically as you hear in this song, just not 8-bit. On average, I'd say it takes me about a week or less.