HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

Will you be installing Windows 10 anytime soon?

Looks like Windows 10 is out in the wild, I think? I've seen people tweeting about installing it, at least.

As far as I know, I believe there's a free upgrade for it to anyone who has Windows 7 and 8, so the installation should be available now. That said, will you be installing it anytime soon?

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do switch over, you MAY lose access to some programs and games (not sure which, but I've heard it happens). Also, you can only switch back to Windows 7 or 8.1 within 30 days of installing it; otherwise, you're stuck with 10 for good, unless you format your drive and have the original installation disc for 7 or 8.

Anyhow, 10 is supposed to be pretty good so far, but you might be better served waiting for the bugs to be ironed out first. That's what I plan to do anyhow.

What about you? Do you plan on installing Windows 10 right now? Or ever? xD

I briefly considered it, but remembered that since I have so many PC games it's probably not a good idea if I want to make sure they all, you know, keep working. I'm sure most modern, big budget games will work fine, but there's always the chance of compatibility issues ruining the day and it's not like I could test every game I own in the 30 day switching period. :P If I had two computers I'd try it on one, but I don't, so meh.

I think I want to play a game or two before I make the transition, but I do want to move to 10 pretty soon...'cause I hate the interface of 8. I thankfully don't have many PC games I intend to play so compatibility is not really an issue but it sounds like there may be controller emulator problems for now (like I want to play Ori and the Blind Forest with my PS4 controller.).

I'll be waiting a little while before I make the swap. As much as I dislike Windows 8, I also have a fair number of games that I'd like to run through before I upgrade.

Got it running on some VMware, and it seems to run fine, has some kinks I am going to wait for them to iron out before I switch over my actual PC though. 

Will be interesting to see games with dx12 support in the future though.

Yeah I am not switching over as I cannot afford to have my PC have issues with programs or files or whatever as I rely heavily on it. I am on Windows 8.1 which I absolutely love and runs perfectly fine so I'll stick with it for now. Perhaps the next time I build a PC I'll built it with a fresh Windows 10 installation in mind. 

I made the switch. The brief time I tried it, I really liked it but it will be a good while before I have the time to properly check it out. I'm loving the return of the start bar and it runs fast and smooth.

You can do an install and keep files and apps or you can do a clean install and everything will be removed. I opted for the latter, I didn't have much of anything on it besides games and while I know it will be a painful chore to re-download them in the past I've found clean installs work better. I needed to clean a bunch of junk from my PC anyway.

I doubt it. Windows 7 still works fine for me and I primarily use OSX and Linux anyway.

I think I signed up to upgrade but so far I'm sticking with Windows 8.1. It has some issues that bug me, but overall it's not too shabby, and I'd like to wait for the dust to settle before making the switch to 10.

I think my dad installed Win 10 for his computer last night. I'll have to check it out before deciding if I want to do it for my PC.

I was going to-- Then I found out Windows 7 Enterprise does not upgrade for free. So uh, yeah not upgrading anytime soon. 

No, not right now.  I'm waiting for them to at least iron out the initial bugs before upgrading from 7.

I don't know if I want Windows 10 ever. I hate that they are mining your information and that you can't turn off automatic updates. They are just going in the complete opposite direction of what I want. On the other hand they won't support Windows 7 forever and Windows 10 is free.

On the plus side I have weaned myself off Windows for the most part and only use it for iTunes. For everything else I use Linux.