HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Are there any developers you don't trust?

Thought this would make for an interesting topic - are there any developers out there that you don't trust?

I should mention this is somewhat different from developers you don't like since I'm sure there are plenty of those. Not liking a developer is one thing, but not trusting them is a whole nother story, basically meaning that you don't believe in their ability to deliver on a game and such, let alone the quality of it.

Recently, Comcept has been thrown into the spotlight on this subject because of the fact that Mighty No. 9 might slip to a 2016 release (or at least the physical version might) when it was due out in September. That, combined with the Red Ash Kickstarter going up even before Mighty No. 9 was released made it seem like they were jumping the gun quite a bit with funding and such. And now they revealed that they have a publisher backing the game and that the Kickstarter would just fund extra stuff.

It's easy to see why a lot of people wouldn't trust Comcept going forward, but this actually also reminds me of the Gearbox debacle from a few years back when it was revealed that they didn't do due diligence on Aliens: Colonial Marines, where they instead outsourced almost all of it. They were also accused of using SEGA's Aliens money to fund Borderlands 2 at the time, which they deny.

I could go on about other developers as well, but I'm curious - are there are any developers out there that you don't trust now, and why is that the case?

There are a lot of developers that have business practices I don't respect (even if I like their games). As for outright not trusting in general, I dunno. I think most of us have a lack of trust in a lot of developers for different things, but not as an entire entity. As much flak as I may give some companies, I can generally expect a developer to deliver a game. Whether or not it is good or not is another story, but I would generally like to believe that there isn't some huge conspiracy behind many games and they want to make it as good as they can/or their budget allows (even if cancellations happen, games are rushed, or stuff changes dramatically between launch/release). Now... publishers and how PR is handled... that's something you should obviously not take at face value all the time since they really don't need to be honest with you to sell you something. 

I think it is easier to not trust kickstarter nowadays because of how flexible the terms of service is (they don't have to release the game after all) and how Red Ash being suddenly published seems shady as heck. Denis Dyack's Eternal Darkness kickstarter also seemed quite questionable even if the original Eternal Darkness was pretty cool for the time. I think PC fans have also learned which developers to trust or not when it comes to PC ports (like Ubisoft of Warner Brothers, apparently.). 

For me personally, I dunno. I can't trust many developers this generation to release a game that doesn't require a patch or two to make it far more playable down the road (if ever, like Obsidian/Bethesda stuff). I have also developed a long standing dislike towards 99% of Idea Factory's/Compile Heart's games because I think they are basically incapable of making decent RPGs. But... that isn't a trust thing, I 100% trust them to continue making trashy moe games that are loosely based on videogame concepts /went there.

• Like 1

EA and Ubisoft....not a good idea to buy their sugar at launch

EA and Ubisoft....not a good idea to buy their sugar at launch

Add Activision to this list for me.

EA and Activision aren't developers, they are publishers. I really feel EA is making strides to be a little better and quite frankly I've never had issue with Activision. Sure the big publishers are probably the reason so many games ship unfinished / broken but at the end of the day they are only catering to the fans of AAA games.

I can't think of a developer I distrust, I truly believe no developer sets out to design a game that they didn't think was good. Things go wrong sure, but I doubt the developer did it intentionally.

• Like 1

I can't think of a developer I distrust, I truly believe no developer sets out to design a game that they didn't think was good. Things go wrong sure, but I doubt the developer did it intentionally.

This is a good point, for sure. It's worth pointing out that there have been instances where certain developers haven't been very good at managing the development on certain games, though, like what Barrel mentioned above about Denis Dyack and Silicon Knights. He infamously used a lot of the money and time meant for Activision's X-Men Destiny on prototypes for Eternal Darkness 2 and such, but when Activision called him on it and set a release date for the X-Men game, he and the entire team scrambled to put something together in a short amount of time so that they'd have something to release.

One could also point to Peter Molyneux and the huge meltdown that happened with him over Godus recently when none of his promises came to fruition and the game turned out to be half-baked experience. In his case, it's probably just that he aimed too high and wasn't able to deliver, but nonetheless he has a history of underdelivering on promises and I'm sure there are many who don't trust him anymore due to it.

I hate Infogrames.  They made the worst damn games.

They bought out Atari.

My point still stands, if that Astroids reboot is anything to go by.

I don't think anybody meant a developers setting out to put out garbage. Even companies known to pedal complete trash, like UFO's Wii lineup, can be trusted to always put out the same quality.

I believe they meant a developer's business practices leading to trust issues. I see this happening a lot with Bungie and their bungling of Destiny. I have lost a lot of faith in that company, despite their game not being as bad as others mentioned in this thread.

Personally, there are a few studios and heads that I simply do not trust. Most notably.. companies whose studio head talks a big game, but their quality never lives up to the fable they've spun.

I'd like to say I do not trust companies handling certain top-tier FPS games, but let's be honest. You can always trust them to do exactly what they are already doing.

• Like 1

I think the topic was meant to be for any reason you would have not trusting a developer. I may not agree with a studio's business practices but I'd never hold that against them because that is mostly influenced by the publisher. The studio heads often have to play the bad guy because they not only need to make the people working on their games happy, they are also the people dealing with the publisher. This is especially true of AAA games, I think the publishers have more influence than developers care to admit.

As someone who is a moderator at a AAA FPS developer's website, I've seen a lot of things that made me change my opinion on things that used to frustrate me as a gamer.

I'm pretty pleased with the upcoming changes to Destiny coming along with The Taken King, including removing the light leveling system. I'm actually willing to give Destiny another try. I didn't hate it to begin with but found the grind of looting and leveling up no fun and gave up even trying. I still think $40 is too much for DLC but I'm probably going to buy it now because I think Bungie is trying to listen to the community.

• Like 1