HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Is Xbox One on the verge of a comeback?

So I actually didn't watch Microsoft's Gamescom conference (or the E3 one for that matter), but it sounds as if most people on social media and whatnot are saying that both were actually really good. And looking at what they revealed at both, it's hard not to think that they're making all of the right moves this year.

In fact, at the moment you could say that Xbox One definitely has the stronger lineup of games going into 2016 and maybe even into next year's E3. Sony still has some great games coming, but the majority of them are 2016 releases and some may be farther off than that.

We won't know for sure if Microsoft is gaining momentum until we start hearing reports of Xbox One outselling PS4 or until the holidays, but if they can keep up their current pacing of releases along with announcing great new games, do you foresee Xbox One closing the gap between itself and the PS4 and eventually becoming a neck and neck race? Or do you think it doesn't matter in the long run and PS4 will maintain its lead even with the delay of Uncharted and having virtually no big games this Fall?

I think Sony has to be careful and I don't think skipping Gamescom completely was a great idea. It's as if they think they are untouchable now that they are dominating this gen. I've been really disappointed by the first party offerings for PS4 so far and aside from Uncharted 4, I'm not all that enthusiastic about anything they have on the immediate horizon. I hope Sony isn't planning on relying solely on third party timed exclusives (Destiny, Battlefront and Call of Duty) in favor of the great first party exclusives that have always made me favor the PlayStation brand.

I think MS stepped up their game with some of the releases. I mean, when I saw those games it made me actually for once wanted the X1 a lot sooner than I originally had planned on getting one. Granted, I still will get a PS4 first but who is to say I won't get both at the same time now?

I have to wonder if Sony should cut off support for the PS3 or at least taper it off to the keep the huge lead. Offering AAA titles still to the casual crowd doesn't encourage adopting the PS4. I still feel like the Vita could be the dagger in Microsoft's heart. Drop memory cards to low prices and pack in the system with future PS4 bundles, etc.

Most say PS+ lineups stink each month (trolls of course). Sometimes I think they are too generous with the last gen offerings. Lol.

While lots of people are glad last gen is still viable, I'd personally cut it off and focus on the future. If Sony convinced the casual crowd the PS4 was necessary, it could he huge.

I think MS stepped up their game with some of the releases. I mean, when I saw those games it made me actually for once wanted the X1 a lot sooner than I originally had planned on getting one. Granted, I still will get a PS4 first but who is to say I won't get both at the same time now?

Had they made Halo Wars Xbone only, I'd be an Xbone owner. I am honestly getting to where I "kinda" want one.

Had they made Halo Wars Xbone only, I'd be an Xbone owner. I am honestly getting to where I "kinda" want one.

I'll say it now, I do want one. But I do want a PS4 first since I prefer Sony over MS. But that is just me. And like I said, there is a high possibility I may just buy both at the same time.

I have to wonder if Sony should cut off support for the PS3 or at least taper it off to the keep the huge lead.

They already kind of have, though, haven't they? I don't think they're producing anything for it anymore. Any games that are still coming out for it are from smaller third parties like XSEED and Atlus, and then maybe a few downports of new games coming out from Namco and the like.

At this point, I don't think PS3 is that big of a factor anymore, but who knows.

I originally (back when they were first released) wanted a PS4 over an XB1. Now I'm not sure. MS is stepping up and honestly there isn't anything I can think of that I want on PS4 now or in the near future. Heck, the only reason I even want a next-gen console at this point are for the multi-platform games such as Fallout 4 and Arkham Knight, so I will just have to wait and see a few years down the line who has the most exclusives I want.

They already kind of have, though, haven't they? I don't think they're producing anything for it anymore. Any games that are still coming out for it are from smaller third parties like XSEED and Atlus, and then maybe a few downports of new games coming out from Namco and the like.

At this point, I don't think PS3 is that big of a factor anymore, but who knows.

But that's kinda the thing.  Sony is trying to target the audience that like those types of niche games that come from Japan--well, actually, they might not be *trying* to, it's just what those developers are making those games for.  By having them all come out on the PS3, though, there's little reason for that group to make the jump, as neither Sony nor Microsoft is offering much in the way of *new* Japanese titles (and, of course, Nintendo is its own thing).  With no incentive for move up to the new hardware (even now PS3/PS4 and PS3/PS4/Vita titles are being announced), Sony's missing out on a share of the Japanese (and niche Western) audience that has no need to buy the PS4.

Of course, FFVII Remake will change all that when it's finally released, but who knows when that will be.

But, then again, I may be over-amping that part of the market.  I haven't looked at numbers, so maybe a lot of Japanese already have a PS4.