HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Games that are too long for their own good?

You know that point in a game where you suddenly just want it to be over? This can be for a lot of different reasons, but if you were enjoying the game up until that point, it's a good indication that the game has just gone on too long for its own good.

I hate to say it, but I actually experienced this recently with Xenoblade Chronicles. There were a number of times when I thought for sure the game was about to end, but to say it in non-spoiler fashion, there is a deus ex machina moment that occurs near the very end just before the last slew of battles. Because I was certain I was going into the final boss, I decided I wasn't going to try to level up further and just push through. After the boss and the deus ex machina moment, I almost have lost my desire to keep playing because now I'm underleveled by new enemies by almost as much as 6-7 levels or more, and I really don't want to spend time grinding just to beat them; I just want to see the story end.

For those that have played and finished the game...

...I'm talking about the part at the very end where Mechonis is destroyed, Dickson and Alvis are revealed as traitors, and pretty much the whole world is falling apart (most of the High Entia become Telethia and such). I'm about level 70, but everything else going forward is at least 75 or more, including the next boss which I'm having trouble with (the Telethia one in the Bionis Interior), and I just don't feel like trying to battle through anymore.

It's a shame since I've really enjoyed the game up until that point. Maybe I'll give it a break for a bit and try to level up at some other point so I can power through to the end.

Anyhow, are there any games that you can think of that you played that went on for too long and you just lost interest in the end due to one reason or another?

I remember feeling this way about Alice: Madness Returns. The world design and atmosphere was great, but the combat really wore thin after a while and I kept hoping each new area was the last after a while. It's not even a super long game (maybe 12-14 hours) but the combat wore thin after about 7 or 8 for me. Another one is Super Paper Mario...that game had way too much padding. It was a fun game and the trademark humor and such was all there, don't get me wrong, it just kinda dragged at some points because it felt like the developers needed to make it more "RPG length" than "platformer length."

I expect to get flamed for this, but I have to say it. The entire Mass Effect Trilogy. Since a huge chunk of the game is nothing but third person shooting the length really got to me. There is a reason shooters don't generally exceed 12 hours, because shooter game play gets old after that. It was more of problem in 2 and 3, but the never ending shooting became one of the most tedious things I've ever experienced in a game. I gave up on side quests because there were so many and they were like 90% shooting and just finished the main story.

There were many other problems I had with the games, but if they had at least cut down on all the shooting filler I would have enjoyed the game quite a bit more.

I love long games but only if they hold my attention. The one series with games that go way too long is Assassin's Creed. I think most AC games would be better if the game length was trimmed.

I expect to get flamed for this, but I have to say it. The entire Mass Effect Trilogy. Since a huge chunk of the game is nothing but third person shooting the length really got to me. There is a reason shooters don't generally exceed 12 hours, because shooter game play gets old after that. It was more of problem in 2 and 3, but the never ending shooting became one of the most tedious things I've ever experienced in a game. I gave up on side quests because there were so many and they were like 90% shooting and just finished the main story.

There were many other problems I had with the games, but if they had at least cut down on all the shooting filler I would have enjoyed the game quite a bit more.

I agree a little. I still liked 2 and 3 but both games dragged on a bit. 1 seemed to go by pretty fast though.

I love long games but only if they hold my attention. The one series with games that go way too long is Assassin's Creed. I think most AC games would be better if the game length was trimmed.

Yea I absolutely agree on AC. Another game for me was RDR. Just after a while I was like will this ever end? He keeps getting sent around and being trolled at. This game needs to end.

I recently felt this way about Batman Arkham Knight. This mostly comes from the repetitive Bat-mobile combat. I was going to go back and try to tie up some of the side missions but I don't think I ever will now. With that being said, I don't regret playing or buying the game as other elements of the game were very good, I just despised the Batmobile.

Venom is absolutely right about Alice: Madness Returns.  There are a few games that feel absolutely forced, despite the actual game not taking that long to complete. Alice is one of them.  I'm not sure if it is because you're strong armed into to spending extra time fighting mechanics or what.

I usually hard-cap my time dedicated to one game right at around 34 hours unless the game's story is simply amazing.   At one time, I'd pump 100 hours into RPGs, but those days are long gone.  Developers are pumping out far too many titles that I'm interested in to take up enough time for 3 others.

Definitely had that problem with Xenoblade as well (and yeah... that deus ex story element was...eh....). It was all the worse because I didn't want to do the sidequests/grind at all which made the 2nd half of the game rather difficult... especially the final boss. You are close to the end but the last part definitely wants you to grind/gear up before the final boss. Alice: Madness Returns I remember feeling way too long... but I don't remember much else about it.

Anyway, I pretty generally feel that most RPGs wear out their welcome when they are longer than like 30-40hrs (even if my favorite ones have doubled that... some of which I almost didn't notice) or most other genres more than, like... 8-10hrs, honestly. I may get in trouble for thinking this but I probably would've liked The Last of Us a lot more if it was.... not 15hrs to beat (especially since the story stuff was much more interesting than the gameplay to me.). I guess I sorta expect action games to be more concise and when I look at the playtime of stuff and see 12+hrs I automatically assume there is padding and get put off of playing it (even if it may not be true).

I usually hard-cap my time dedicated to one game right at around 34 hours unless the game's story is simply amazing.   At one time, I'd pump 100 hours into RPGs, but those days are long gone.  Developers are pumping out far too many titles that I'm interested in to take up enough time for 3 others.

Anyway, I pretty generally feel that most RPGs wear out their welcome when they are longer than like 30-40hrs (even if my favorite ones have doubled that... some of which I almost didn't notice) or most other genres more than, like... 8-10hrs, honestly. I may get in trouble for thinking this but I probably would've liked The Last of Us a lot more if it was.... not 15hrs to beat (especially since the story stuff was much more interesting than the gameplay to me.). I guess I sorta expect action games to be more concise and when I look at the playtime of stuff and see 12+hrs I automatically assume there is padding and get put off of playing it (even if it may not be true).

Yeah, I agree on the time cap as well. For most of Xenoblade, I was actually pretty okay with it heading into the 50-60 hour range because the story kept evolving in an interesting way... until the deus ex moment, where it was almost a little too much. Interestingly enough, I actually didn't mind Baten Kaitos and Origins running into the 60-70 hour marks because those stories were engaging all along as well. Baten Kaitos actually never got too grindy for me either. I do remember one specific part about halfway through that I had to grind for, but it was pretty clear sailing after that if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, I'm not entirely certain what to think about Xenoblade Chronicles X now that I realize it'll also have a similar timespan; I'd definitely like to give it a go, but like you guys mentioned, it's getting harder and harder to play through longer games like these nowadays considering that we have less time to play and more games to play in general. :unsure:

One thing I'll say about Xenoblade, but I'm going to hide it under a spoiler tag because it involves a certain boss.

I love Xenoblade. Y'all know this. But the single most annoying fight in that entire game, the one that I always cite when I call the game's AI mechanics "broken at best" is the fight vs. Lorithia in the Bionis Interior. Jason, if you stopped before this fight...don't even bother finishing the game, because the moment you arrive--even if you are properly leveled and have complete mastery of the battle system again--you will throw down your Wii Remote and set your console on fire just because that's the only real way to make that boss actually suffer.

Yes, I hate the above fight that much. Your AI partners, whoever they are, perpetually wander in very toxic areas during the fight that takes up an entire arena. To call it broken is much too kind.

Suffice to say, I absolutely agree with you that Xenoblade is too long, even if it paces itself regularly. Few will actually get to the end because its battle system is sometimes unfairly complex, and only masters or folks willing to suffer (me) will actually make it to the credits. The ending is worth it, but...yeah I'm waiting on my digital-version-on-Wii-U to get my old save back with New Game+, rather than rushing to finish the 3DS version.

I think I've outgrown that game's battle system, to be honest. Don't have the patience anymore. I could say the same for most RPGs with any battle system more complex than...say...Final Fantasy IX. I lose interest very quickly.

But hmm. The last game where I felt it honest to goodness overstayed its welcome, besides Xenoblade?

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy.

One thing I'll say about Xenoblade, but I'm going to hide it under a spoiler tag because it involves a certain boss.

I love Xenoblade. Y'all know this. But the single most annoying fight in that entire game, the one that I always cite when I call the game's AI mechanics "broken at best" is the fight vs. Lorithia in the Bionis Interior. Jason, if you stopped before this fight...don't even bother finishing the game, because the moment you arrive--even if you are properly leveled and have complete mastery of the battle system again--you will throw down your Wii Remote and set your console on fire just because that's the only real way to make that boss actually suffer.

Yes, I hate the above fight that much. Your AI partners, whoever they are, perpetually wander in very toxic areas during the fight that takes up an entire arena. To call it broken is much too kind.

Suffice to say, I absolutely agree with you that Xenoblade is too long, even if it paces itself regularly. Few will actually get to the end because its battle system is sometimes unfairly complex, and only masters or folks willing to suffer (me) will actually make it to the credits. The ending is worth it, but...yeah I'm waiting on my digital-version-on-Wii-U to get my old save back with New Game+, rather than rushing to finish the 3DS version.

Jonathan, that's EXACTLY the spot I stopped at, haha! Good to know I'm not alone in this.

Every boss fight before that one felt fair, even if I did die a few times (especially on the last "Face" that you fight) and had to level up in order to beat them. This one really felt different, though. It's not only the toxic areas but also the fact that most of my attacks just felt ineffective, like I needed an entirely different strategy than what I had been using up until that point, which would involve other characters who... I really hadn't been using all along. xD

I'm debating watching the final few cutscenes and ending on Youtube; we'll see.

• Like 1

I actually had a very different feeling about Xenoblade. Like, I didn't have a problem at all with the game's length. In fact, even though I played for 100+ hours, I still wished it were longer. I was also leveled correctly by the end, so I didn't have a problem there. Perhaps because I spent so much time throughout my playthrough doing the side quests, which leveled my party up pretty well without it feeling like I'm grinding (I always loved how completing side quests gave you experience). But to each their own, I suppose.

One game I do agree on is Bravely Default. Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed that game. But my God, that unnecessary mid section...