HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

barrel

Favorite video game remake ever?

barrel    380

No, you can't answer FFVII since you can't play it yet. Anyway, since the Resident Evil 2 remake was announced earlier today I was wondering what is your favorite video game remake(s) that you've played?

Remake is a pretty flexible term so I won't police exact definitions (even if I'd try to avoid stuff closer to being entirely re-imagined like let's say Silent Hill 1 and Shattered Memories.). I think Resident Evil 1 remake is really well-done and I adore Persona 4: Golden was also is close to remake status. But... I think what might be my favorite one ever is actually Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Not only dramatically changed my opinion of the game by improving the main game a ton (since I actually didn't love the original PS1 game) but it added so friggin' much content-wise and probably has my favorite a new game+ variation ever.

Venom    826

Right off the top of my head, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. I never finished the PS1 version of MGS (only because the person I borrowed it from lost the second disc) but it still feels like...well, like crap compared to MGS2, so the remake was much better gameplay-wise. Sure, the new cutscenes got kinda silly, but it's not like the MGS series has ever striven for realism anyway. :P

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is another worth mentioning, because it took the original game, which feels really outdated at this point, and made it better with new graphics and gameplay elements from the second game. It's far more enjoyable than trying to play the old version these days. Halo Anniversary was also a great remake, if only because it looked better and didn't unnecessarily change anything. It was funny being able to switch to the original Xbox graphics and realizing that the game never looked anywhere near as good as I remembered, while at the same time showing just how much new detail they put in instead of doing like most companies (hi, Capcom!) and putting the game on a new system with the old graphics. And last but certainly not least, my favorite GBA remake, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. It was amazing to me because Kirby's Adventure has always been my favorite in the series, and seeing it with the new art style was awesome.

Jason Clement    967

It's actually kind of funny; I can't think of TOO many remakes I've played off the top of my head, even though I know I've played them. We're not including remasters in this, right?

If it's actual remakes that we're talking about, I'd probably have to steal what Venom said and go with Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. Funny story about that, I actually had no idea what the game was about until I bought it; within minutes, I realized it was a remake of my previous favorite Kirby game, Kirby's Adventure. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't a brand new game, but I was super pumped to play the game again nonetheless (and with enhanced visuals too).

I'll throw Metroid Zero Mission in here as well. Even though I think the original Metroid still holds up pretty well (other than the lack of maps), Zero Mission really made it a lot more playable and functional. It felt more like Super Metroid, which is great, and brought new life to the story and such. :D

mr.me    73

I can't think of a whole lot of remakes either. Most of the ones I played I never even played the original.

Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes was great and introduced me to the awesome MGS series.

Metroid Zero Mission was a fantastic game and I think my first Metroid GBA game even before Fusion.

Resident Evil Remake was a lot of fun and my second RE after 4. I liked the style of gameplay from the remake more because it was less action oriented and more adventure oriented, so I grabbed RE Zero soon after.

Conker Live and Reloaded I hadn't played the original and it was one of the funniest games I've ever played, so much fun and very different from anything I had ever played. The graphics were very good at the time too.

Wind Waker HD (This one I did play original) is despite its name a full remake and also very good. The graphics look amazing and they didn't mess with the gameplay too much, but did change a few things thing to make them less tedious such as sailing speed. Also the way they use the gamepad while it may seem minor since it is mainly just managing your inventory/map is very convenient, easy and fast.

And that is all the remakes I can think of that I've played. Notice how the first 3 were already mentioned? lol

• Like 1

Kezins    335

Not sure if I can think of any worthy. I guess if we are including upscaled remasters, Okami HD and Shadow of the Colossus would top my list but they aren't really "remakes".

• Like 1

BoyMan    34

Not sure if I can think of any worthy. I guess if we are including upscaled remasters, Okami HD and Shadow of the Colossus would top my list but they aren't really "remakes".

If it counted, Shadow of the Colossus would top my list as well. As far as actual full on remakes go, Black Mesa is probably my favorite. It's a mod that seeks to recreate the original Half Life in the Half Life 2 engine.

Obligatory HeartGold & SoulSilver response from me. ORAS is pretty great, but I think I still like the Johto region better--plus there's two whole worlds to explore on a single cartridge. HG/SS was generous with its Legendary Pokémon availability as well. I thought the fact that Kyogre, Groudon & Rayquaza were catchable meant for sure that we wouldn't see the Hoenn games remade.

I was wrong. 

Disney's Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse is absolutely phenomenal, and features a soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope, the Banjo-Kazooie/Yooka-Laylee guy. I wish they'd give QuackShot and other SEGA-exclusive Disney games the same treatment, but SEGA Australia closed its doors sometime fairly recently. :(

If anyone ever played and adored Final Fantasy Legend III as a kid, like me, they remade that game for the Nintendo DS as SaGa 3 Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light. I import reviewed it long before making my way here. And since I own the game, I played the fan translation without remorse. They...did some crazy things with the extra story bits, and I'm wondering if the surprise twist in the remake was planned all along.

There's my top three. Honorable mentions go to Lunar: Silver Star Harmony & Wild Arms: Alter Code F (for pure nostalgia's sake).

• Like 1

Royzoga    264

Alright then uh--

Since I had actually never played the NGC remake till it was ported to PS4, I'm gonna go with Resident Evil...(REmake...Remastered.) So, the only version of original Resident Evil I had played before this was on the DS, aptly named Resident Evil: Deadly Silence. But oh god, playing through the PS4 remastering of the game was such a treat and so much freaking fun. I loved that game so much that now some of my passion for the franchise has been restored a bit. And now that we're getting both Resident Evil Zero in the same light as REmake, AND Resident Evil 2, it seems like a good time to be an RE fan again.

Jason Clement    967

Disney's Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse is absolutely phenomenal, and features a soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope, the Banjo-Kazooie/Yooka-Laylee guy. I wish they'd give QuackShot and other SEGA-exclusive Disney games the same treatment, but SEGA Australia closed its doors sometime fairly recently. :(

Somehow I almost forgot this; I reviewed it too!

But yeah, I definitely agree with you on this, Jon. The Castle of Illusion remake is pretty great stuff; we rarely get games like that anymore (2D platforming licensed games with great production values), so playing through that was a real treat. It's one of the few PS3 games I 100%ed with trophies as well.

• Like 1