HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Is no free shipping a deal-breaker for you when buying online?

Thought this was a relevant question since recently I bought at least a few of the Wave 5b amiibo off of sites that don't offer free shipping. I'm almost certain I've paid at least $30 so far in shipping fees just to get certain amiibo too (since they first launched). :(

To be fair, you need a Prime membership (or pay at least $35) to get free shipping on Amazon, so very few if any sites actually offer free shipping on items. I only pay for shipping when an item is exclusive to a retailer or if it's very rare overall; otherwise, I'll generally get everything on Amazon or often in store. Still, I have to admit it stings to have to pay $4-5 shipping on top of tax at places like GameStop, Target, and Walmart.

Anyhow, what about you? Do you ever get enthusiastic about a deal and then turn it down due to the cost of shipping? Or is it not too big of a deal for you?

It kinda is a deal-breaker for me. Like, $3-$4 for shipping isn't terrible, but only if I'm getting something at a discount compared to other places, since paying around normal retail price plus shipping and tax would be silly compared to buying it in a store or doing store pickup. It also depends on how much I want something. Like, if I go to buy a cheap clearance game and then shipping gets stacked on, it feels like less of a bargain and I might not bother ordering, but if it's something cheaper that I really want (let's use one amiibo as an example) I'll bite the bullet if buying online and having it shipped is the only option.

Lately I've taken to buying more and more stuff on eBay over retail sites, simply because so many listings offer free shipping and there won't be tax unless they're major retailers selling stuff through there. I haven't bought anything on Amazon in about a year and pretty much only use retailer websites for pre-orders, because usually the only reason to bother with them is if I'm willing to pay full price.

It's very situational. Let's say I want to get Disgaea 5, it's $60 at Gamestop and Amazon but for whatever reason Amazon doesn't offer free shipping, and since Amazon now charges tax for my state it would be cheaper to get it from Gamestop so I'd probably get it from Gamestop. However, let's say there's a limited print run of the game, so I want to guarantee my copy so I'll probably preorder it only, or if it has some sort of a special edition that's ONLY available online.

But yeah, Amazon has pretty much spoiled us in terms of free shipping. :P

• Like 1

It can be, and I'll do a lot to ensure I get free shipping.  Like say the Amiibos that come up on Target--if you buy two you are above the the $25 limit for free shipping, but just one and you're not, so I'll buy two or more to make sure I get free shipping... even if I don't want the other Amiibo (I'll usually flip it on eBay for a bit of profit).  I do the same with Amazon too, like if I need to buy something (a couple weeks ago I needed a door seal so bugs stop getting in my apartment =_=), I'll add other little things I need to make it $35.

But then again, goHastings doesn't have free shipping, but I didn't mind when I was getting some games suuuuuper cheap when they were on sale :o

Usually yes. But if it still comes out to be cheaper then I will pay for the shipping. It really just depends. Sometimes the shipping will make the deal not as good so then it isn't worth it to buy. But then again you have to think about time/gas/mileage that would cost you if you actually have to go to a store and buy something. But usually I look for free shipping or try to order enough to make it free shipping.

Yes it's a deal breaker because you lose money even when you spot a great deal like something for 5 bucks, but you gotta pay 5 bucks for shipping on Amazon. Also mad they increased the $25 to $35 for free shipping. This led me to not shop on Amazon much anymore unless I need to spend more than $35. Good deals are found, but shipping kills the deal.

Yeah, I hate paying for shipping. I think I have this great deal, then the shipping amount pops up and I just close the window.

Yes it's a deal breaker because you lose money even when you spot a great deal like something for 5 bucks, but you gotta pay 5 bucks for shipping on Amazon. Also mad they increased the $25 to $35 for free shipping. This led me to not shop on Amazon much anymore unless I need to spend more than $35. Good deals are found, but shipping kills the deal.

If you shop on amazon a lot consider getting prime.