HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Far Cry Primal - Thoughts?

I have to admit that I didn't see a B.C. version of Far Cry coming, but the idea is interesting to say the least. Though at first, I did think there were dinosaurs involved, but I think it's mostly sabertooth tigers, woolly mammoths and the like.

farcryprimal1006-610.jpg

One thought that ran through my mind immediately is - why is this a Far Cry game? lol

Obviously, the answer is that they're using the series' popularity to launch a different type of game. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a FC game to begin with, in fact. The thing that bugs me is that they could easily name it something else; I mean, look at Watch Dogs. They didn't try to tie that into an existing series, and that game did more than fine in sales.

Anyhow, I have to wonder how viable this game will be in light of the fact that Horizon: Zero Dawn has similar elements, and looks 10x cooler. The one thing that Primal has an advantage on is that it will probably release first. Zero Dawn looks more like a Fall 2016 or 2017 game.

What are your thoughts on Far Cry Primal? Are you interested? Or couldn't care less?

I enjoy the FC games, but this looks way different so I agree it could have worked just as well without the name. Either way, the premise is interesting enough that I'll likely check it out regardless, since tying in some of the series elements like infiltrating bases (tribal camps in this case, I guess) and finding ways to get the animals to interact with the enemies could be fun in this new setting. Plus there's the fact that other than maybe bows/thrown weapons it'll probably be mainly melee combat, so if it's done well I'd enjoy it since there's not many games that do first-person close-range combat well.

I remember they threw out survey ideas for a new Far Cry pretty early in the year (including a Blood Dragon sequel or stuff that involves vampires and such) but.... I can't help but imagine this was NOT the result of the voting. 

edit: Here were some of the ideas they threw around, so it looks like Primal wasn't actually unprecedented.

A Far Cry game in remote Alaska about surviving extreme wilderness
A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s
A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the late 19th century Americas
A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak
Blood Dragon 2. A sequel to Blood Dragon with more Rex Power Colt
A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world
A Far Cry game in the present day, set in a Jurassic Park Style island of dinosaurs
A Far Cry game based on the world of Shangri-La from Far Cry 4

Anyway, I dunno. I keep entertaining the idea of playing some Far Cry game but after Metal Gear Solid V, which I hear basically does the formula better, I kind of don't feel the need to anymore... and the new setting doesn't help.

edit: Here were some of the ideas they threw around, so it looks like Primal wasn't actually unprecedented.

A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak

Blood Dragon 2. A sequel to Blood Dragon with more Rex Power Colt

The fact that it wasn't one of those pretty much proves that the survey was just for show. I mean, if it turns out that people saw "Blood Dragon 2" and didn't immediately start throwing money at the screen, then I just don't know why anyone would bother making another video game ever again.

But good on them for trying a new thing instead of doing an easy sequel or whatever, I guess. :P

Still haven't played this series. But I saw IGN little post on how it doesn't have all the current FC stuff, like cars. Then I realized this was going to be like a prequel? But I mean it could be good. I don't know much about the series to say what makes FC a FC game.