HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

New Youtube subscription service worth it?

If you haven't heard yet, Youtube will be rolling out a subscription service for $9.99 soon. Basically, you get the following with it-

• No ads
  • Lets you download videos
  • Lets you play a video in the background while running another app (if you're on your smartphone).
  • Original exclusive content (but we'll see how that does)

Meanwhile, everything that was previously free still remains free (just with ads).

Honestly, I don't see the value in it yet. Until it gets some high-profile exclusive stuff (like Netflix and Amazon puts out), I don't see it taking off. I mean, ads are annoying, sure, but 9 times out of 10 I bet that you'd rather watch a 30 second ad if it means watching for free versus paying $10 a month, right?

Anyhow, what do you guys think of the subscription service? Would you pay for it, and do you think it has a chance to succeed?

Even if things like Adblock and the sites where you can put in links and download videos didn't exist, this wouldn't be worth it. As you already said, most people are fine with watching annoying ads rather than paying money just to avoid them, and, for me anyway, the only reason I can see to download a video is if you want to edit it somehow. The "run in background" thing seems kinda pointless too, because what are you doing even opening videos if you're just going to run something else on top of them? If you just want the audio, I'm sure there's better ways to listen to it. xD

I'm not even going to assume anything on the original programming front, but I don't think people are going to pay to watch them until they hear positive feedback about them. All in all I don't think the service is going to attract anyone but the "I have to do everything first before anyone else does it" crowd for a long while.

• Like 1

No thank you. Not wasting $10 a month for ad free videos. Not really much to say here and I hope this doesn't take off. Youtube trying to make more money off of people on something so dumb like this? I hope it is a fail.

• Like 1