HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
barrel

Do you like the "New Game Smell"?

So, I'm sure most of us know what it is like to open a brand new game and whiff the probably unhealthy, but nostalgic, scent that comes with opening a lot of plastic cases. Do you guys enjoy the smell of opening a new game case or not really?

For me personally I used to like it a lot but I'm kind of over it now after so many games. I think I like tearing off the plastic more than the smell nowadays, actually, just because of the smoothness of the actual game case at 1st.

I have gotten over the smell and now just enjoy placing the game on the shelf with it's friends never to be played like most of my games. It does feel good to tear that plastic off when I check out a new game.

I like it in a sense, in that I buy most of my games used or digital to get them cheaper so when I do buy a brand new copy of a game, it seems that much more special when I open it up. So it's less liking the smell itself and liking what it represents, I guess.

As for the plastic, I like that it's there because buying a new copy without the plastic (thanks, GS) seems like it somehow devalues it, if only slightly. Even so, tearing it off doesn't really do anything for me, except annoy me if it takes longer than it should. xD

• Like 1

You guys actually smell it? I never ever have done this.

• Like 1

I don't really care.  I mean, I like ripping into brand new games (since I usually buy used), but that's more the joy of getting to play something new, and less of any factors like the smell :3

You guys actually smell it? I never ever have done this.

It's not that hard to notice it unintentionally right when you open it (but it goes away quickly afterwards). But it is obviously more on the crazy side if as soon as you open it you immediately stick your nose under it and whiff it like a fresh bouquet of flowers or something.

It's not that hard to notice it unintentionally right when you open it (but it goes away quickly afterwards). But it is obviously more on the crazy side if as soon as you open it you immediately stick your nose under it and whiff it like a fresh bouquet of flowers or something.

Yea, I don't really notice it I guess. Kinda sad? lol

Lol barrel random thread there. Anyways I used to remember the smell back in the old days. Nowadays they smell like greed. I like the smell of games on sale though.

I had never heard of this until like ten years ago my brother-in-law was doing it/talking about it. I thought it was weird and I was like what the heck? Why are you smelling your game? "You don't do that?" Uh, no... lol