HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

What'd you think of The Game Awards 2015?

So another The Game Awards have come and gone.

All in all, I thought it was decent, but seemed to lack a lot of new game announcements this year. Still, getting those reveals for the Batman Telltale game and Psychonauts 2 was pretty cool, though who knows if the latter will actually come out. As Leah said, Tim Schafer originally said he needed 18 million to make the game, and now they plan to do it on 3? I dunno, guys. (UPDATE: Apparently Tim Schafer was transparent about this on the game's crowdsourcing page; they actually need at least $10-13 million and this is only one source of funding).

Reggie's tribute to Iwata was pretty touching; glad they decided to carve out some time for that.

Greg Miller winning over Pewdiepie and Totalbiscuit for Trending Gamer was actually a great choice and he gave a great speech. I can't help but think the other two would've been totally oblivious and just thanked their family and friends before walking off stage.

Was cool to see Mark Hamill on stage too. It's a shame he was passed over again, but also pretty cool to see the actress from Her Story win. Still, pretty embarrasing that the woman who announced her as the winner announced her as being from The Witcher 3. xD

Also one last note - it was great to see that these shows are finally starting to give women equal time up on the stage. There wasn't total parity, but there were a lot more women up on the stage than there have been in recent shows like E3 and TGS, and I can't help but think Geoff is to thank partially for that and that he's been listening. Great stuff.

Anyhow, there were issues with the show as well, but I'll save that for someone else to mention. What did you guys think of the show? Or did you watch any of it?

I miss when they were on tv so I could DVR them because I'm never home when they are on. I've always felt they were horrible as far as award shows go, very unprofessional. It did get better last year when it changed to the Video Game Awards instead of the trash that was on Spike TV. I'm just home from work now and will try to catch up on the show while I wait for the DOOM closed alpha to download.

It was alright, but nothing special overall to me. The tribute to Iwata was very heartfelt and I'm also glad they took the time out for it. As far as the actual awards went, I didn't really care that much about them, though it was cool that Splatoon won best multiplayer game even against competition like Halo and CoD. None of the game reveals really did much for me either except Shadow Complex Remastered, since I'd heard it was good but never got the chance to play it, and the Telltale Batman game, since it'll be cool to see a game that will probably focus more on his detective skills than combat. Also, they probably won't shoehorn the Batmobile in as much as possible. :P

Nice to see Konami getting booed, but outside of that I tend to find the whole game awards/GOTY lists thing to be a waste of time, much more interesting to just talk about games, then to slap awards on them. Like no one ever sat down and went "This is what makes Her Story a stand out game (even though it isn't, but whatever)" they just gave it a few awards and moved on. Just talk about all the great games we have had this year, without all the categories and picking winners crap, it is how we end up with situations such as Undertale barely getting a mention, or Beginners Guide not even getting that.

Also KennyS as esports player of the year? Over Olofmeister or Guardian? Complete nonsense.

Didn't watch it, but the Batman Telltale game and Psychonauts 2 is pretty exciting news. Psychonauts is one of those games I really liked and wanted it to get a sequel, but never expected it to actually happen. And a Batman Telltale game should be pretty cool(although where is The Wolf Among Us Season 2?!).

Greg Miller I like a lot and I followed him before he started on IGN and was just a small blogger. I am glad to see he has achieved such success.

It was decent and there were awkward moments especially the one with Jade Raymond lol. I watched it on twitch and I agree with the Ladster, I miss it when it used to be on SpikeTV. People were pretty salty about the awards and honestly we shouldn't because do the awards mean anything? Do they give you free DLC? It's just a nice recognition to remind us all what great games we have. Just because a game doesn't win doesn't mean it's not good. Just be glad that we're alive today to play these wonderful games. Heck most of the games that were nominated I still haven't played and they look awesome. Anyways I watched it, it was decent, makes me want to play the games missed out, and also Konami sucks. Way to treat Kojima like that especially he's the one who created Metal Gear. I don't understand these business situations. I support Kojima.

• Like 2

It was pretty cool considering everything.  I thought some of the winning games were questionable (I was legit surprised Witcher III out of all of them won GOTY), but overall I thought it did good.  Not great, but good.  Like any other awards show really.  I wasn't a fan of the musical choices, though, it was pretty meh.

I could complain about Undertale not getting Indie of the year but to be quite frank probably not enough people on the panel actually played it, which is a shame (because I'm sure someone would have said something during that pre-show bit where they were showing Undertale fan art about *that* picture, had they played the game darnit)

Didn't see it but I heard the Witcher 3 won?

Didn't see it but I heard the Witcher 3 won?

It did, I was really surprised to be honest.  I thought Fallout 4 was going to win, and personally hoping for Bloodborne, but The Witcher III seemed like the "underdog" of the choices available.

It did, I was really surprised to be honest.  I thought Fallout 4 was going to win, and personally hoping for Bloodborne, but The Witcher III seemed like the "underdog" of the choices available.

I didn't see the list of choices but I was surprised that Witcher 3 got it since I was sure another big game would have won.

Pretty much how Kidman felt about it, though I dunno if I'd describe it with a Simon thumbs down. It wasn't good or great by any standard, the exception being when Reggie spoke about Iwata and was fighting back tears, but that's not what the show was about. I really wish they'd realize that no one cares about musical performances during a game awards ceremony, especially not by these eclectic groups or artists. Not anything against those people, it just doesn't fit in with what the show is about. Not to mention the show itself isn't paced terribly well and having off screen awards is kinda lame, in my opinion. Plus, they eff'd up the game of the year winner. Not to mention the variety seemed fairly low this year, though that may have just been me. The announcements they had were sub par at best, especially with Psychonauts 2 being a crowd funded game, like-- C'mon man. I was barely okay for it for other games of less known companies, but Double Fine? You guys have money and already screwed people over with Broken Age. Though, it's funny to think about, considering I firmly believe this year to be better than last year, which sadly isn't saying all too much.

• Like 1

The announcements they had were sub par at best, especially with Psychonauts 2 being a crowd funded game, like-- C'mon man. I was barely okay for it for other games of less known companies, but Double Fine? You guys have money and already screwed people over with Broken Age. Though, it's funny to think about, considering I firmly believe this year to be better than last year, which sadly isn't saying all too much.

Yeah, it's funny how people think that the 10-13 million Double Fine is ultimately seeking will be enough. If Broken Age proved anything, Psychonauts 2's final budget could easily end up being 2-2.5 times that much.

Yeah, it's funny how people think that the 10-13 million Double Fine is ultimately seeking will be enough. If Broken Age proved anything, Psychonauts 2's final budget could easily end up being 2-2.5 times that much.

Yeah... going off topic a bit, but a lot of stuff surrounding Psychonauts 2 is kinda off-putting.  There's the fact that it's being crowd-funded in the first place, and the whole thing with Broken Age.  Then there's Notch saying he was going to fund the game, but didn't like what he saw and bailed out (and that's far from a good sign).  Oh, and the amount they're asking for *should* be enough, but I'm beginning to think that Double Fine is lacking a financial department and Tim Shafer lives like a rock star or something.

I mean, you'd think that all these remasters would help fund the crowd-funding bits of Psychonauts 2, and if Double Fine has *really* procured outside funds, that should have been enough.

Then there's Notch saying he was going to fund the game, but didn't like what he saw and bailed out (and that's far from a good sign).

From what I remember, I think Notch bailed from funding because the development cost was a lot more than he thought it was going to be. Which kinda begs the question - now that he's worth over a billion, why doesn't he offer to fund it now? :doge:

Oh, and the amount they're asking for *should* be enough, but I'm beginning to think that Double Fine is lacking a financial department and Tim Shafer lives like a rock star or something.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure Tim Schafer is a cool guy and all, but the fact that he's always going over budget (and how Activision famously backed out of publishing it once DF kept missing milestones) leads me to believe that they don't always make the best use of their funding (either through extravagant lunches and dinners, office parties, using it for their own personal wants/needs beyond their own salaries and more).

I don't agree with Her Story being the best narrative award. It should've gone to Life is Strange or Tales from the Borderlands. Both story driven emotionally and has great story elements. Maybe I need to check out Her Story to see what the fuss is about.

From what I remember, I think Notch bailed from funding because the development cost was a lot more than he thought it was going to be. Which kinda begs the question - now that he's worth over a billion, why doesn't he offer to fund it now? :doge:

I assume it's more of an 'ethics' thing now (I can't think of a better word).  Notch didn't like was Double Fine was doing, so he doesn't want to help them.  Angel investors have to have faith that the product will get done (and succeed) after all.  I personally don't blame him for backing out if he didn't like how things were going.

I don't agree with Her Story being the best narrative award. It should've gone to Life is Strange or Tales from the Borderlands. Both story driven emotionally and has great story elements. Maybe I need to check out Her Story to see what the fuss is about.

Her Story has an incredibly unusual narrative style (for video games), that's probably why it won.  It's one of those stories that leaves a lot of room for interpretation due to the way its presented, and be extension leads to a lot of discussion among people that played it trying to piece together what exactly happened.  The other games on the list don't really have that, they're more traditional in a gaming sense.

Then again, I still think Life is Strange should have won.  The type of tale Her Story tells is not really for everyone.