HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

What are your 4 favorite game genres?

Alright everyone, let's hear what your 4 favorite game genres are! :D

I may have forgotten a few, but here are the genres I could think of:

• Action (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising)
  • Adventure (The Legend of Zelda, Legend of Kay)
  • Fighting (Street Fighter, Tekken, Blazblue)
  • Flight simulator (Ace Combat, Tie-Fighter, Rogue Squadron)
  • FPS (Half-Life 2, Halo, Call of Duty)
  • Interactive drama (Heavy Rain, Telltale episodic series, Life is Strange)
  • Party (Mario Party, You Don't Know Jack, Wii Play)
  • Platformer (Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy)
  • Point and click (Broken Age, Sam & Max, Grim Fandango)
  • Puzzle (Tetris, Bejeweled, Professor Layton)
  • Racing (Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, Forza)
  • Rhythm (Rock Band, Rhythm Heaven, Theatrhythm)
  • Roguelike (Rogue Legacy, Mystery Dungeon games)
  • RPG (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Skyrim)
  • Sandbox (Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause 3, Minecraft)
  • Simulation (Harvest Moon, Sim City, The Sims)
  • Sports (Madden 16, NHL 16, NBA 16)
  • Strategy (StarCraft II, Homeworld, Valkyria Chronicles)
  • Horror/Survival Horror (Silent Hill, Amnesia, Five Nights at Freddy's)
  • Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright, Clannad, Huniepop)

If I could only choose four, mine would have to be platformers, puzzle games, RPGs, and rhythm games.

Platformers are self-explanatory (grew up with Mario games, N64 platformers, and the like); puzzles because I've always enjoyed games that challenge your mind and the fact that they're often pick-up-and-play type of games. RPGs are pretty self-explanatory as well; anyone that grew up playing at least one or two Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games are bound to have the genre be a big impact on them. And there's just something about rhythm games that really click with me; I've always been big on rhythm in other parts of my life, so maybe this is just a natural extension of that. xD

Trailing close behind would be strategy, racing, and simulation games.

What would you say are your four favorite genres?

• Like 1

This thread seemed scary to reply to... until I read the full thing...and re-read the title (almost thought I had to list all-time favorite games for each genre.).

Anyway, I think Action, RPG, and Strategy are a lock for me. It is hardly surprising that my favorite games often time blends them. I grew up with PC RTSs before I transitioned to consoles and went RPGs all day every day, so that easily explains the RPG/Strategy part. Plus, I have an unnatural fondness for strategy-RPGs alone thanks to Final Fantasy Tactics, which is basically my favorite game ever. A good action game tends to be a perfect palate cleanse for me when I go a little overboard with too many slower RPGs.

After that it is probably a tossup between Adventure and Fighting. Adventure is more general that it covers a lot of games, so it is a safer answer. BUuuuuut, I guess my real answer is probably fighting. When I find a fighting game I really enjoy it easily becomes my go-to game between games. I've put a disgusting amount of time into stuff like Blazblue: Continuum Shift, Super Smash Bros: Melee (less so its sequels), Persona 4 Arena, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear X2, etc.

My Top 4 Genres

Action/Adventure

-I felt that action/adventure feels the same genre as when you're having an adventure you're gonna have action packed moments.

-Well if Jason says I have to pick one then I'd go with adventure

-Adventure is all about having fun with great gameplay, story, and mechanics. I feel that Last of Us, Uncharted, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Mass Effect, etc are great examples of adventure mixed with action. You're playing a story going through an adventure and along the way you're encountering action packed sequences that keep you on the edge of the seat.

Interactive Drama

-Interactive dramas are a great new genre that is all about making choices and affecting the story.

-I love immersing myself within the character of what I want to do and do whatever it takes to make positive choices.

-It's a great example on how you treat life in a way. Life is Strange shows how you can help someone with depression, bullying, etc. Most of the choices I made are as if I'm right there and real life.

-You get the feel for the characters and this is what storytelling is all about. Put yourself in that situation and make the choices that can affect the outcome with many endings and relationships with characters.

RPGS
-The first RPG game I ever played is Final Fantasy VII. I've told you the story many times on how that made me love the genre and play the FF and Tales series. There is just something more than a gameplay with strategies and mechanics. I love Japan and their creative ideas on story and characters. I'd spend hours grinding and finding the best equipment for my character.
-Just think of it like an interactive anime/drama.

-Besides Japan, other games like Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex Machina, Dark Souls, etc.provide RPG elements quite well.

FPS

-You can't go wrong with multiplayer in this one. It's one of the most popular types of genres with the success of CoD and Halo.

-It defined e-Sports that brought in CSGO tournaments as well.

-It's a fun way to get together and have gaming nights like back in the days with Goldeneye and Halo which were the biggest two FPS games I had fun with.

-The campaign is always a fun trip. Don't skip them and go straight to multiplayer. I like playing co-op especially Halo,

In summary these are my favorite genres. It's the fantastic games that were created in that certain genre defined us gamers and what we love today. It was hard to pick the 4 genres and decided the genres based on what games really immersed me from the past and present. Gaming is a wonderful thing. You can't go wrong with any game as long as you have fun.

• Like 1

Pretty easy for me. First is always gonna be Platformers, I started out with the original 3 Mario games and moved on to Genesis, where I got a hefty helping of Sonic, and of course there's been plenty of great 3D ones since the N64 days. Next would be RPG, with specific attention on Action-RPGs. Not that I don't like traditional turn-based ones (I was also big into tactical RPGs for a while and need to get back into them) but stuff like Diablo and Skyrim tend to take my fancy more than say, Final Fantasy. The last two I'd probably go with Action, because I love a good fast-paced hack 'n slash, and it's also where I'd put beat 'em ups, and Sandbox, because I've spent more hours than I care to count in Saints Row, Just Cause, Crackdown, GTA, and various others.

Definitely RPG for me. FF7 introduced me to the genre and I completely fell in love with it. The story telling and you being the one main character there just makes it so fun. Plus, you get to grind in the game which is what I am all about.

My other 3 will definitely be platformers, puzzle, and sports. I love puzzle from the days of Tetris. Platformers are just plain fun. And I am a big sports guy so I always have played sports game. Especially all of those NBA live games growing up. I would be multiple teams playing all 82 games. That was fun.

For me I'll go with.

FPS

FPS is fun and simple fast action play. I can blow stuff up and enjoy view while having a nice little story. FPS games don't take forever to finish so I can blast my way to the end and get on to the next game in my endless pile.

Horror

I love the creepy feeling and scary monsters of horror games. They always have interesting stories and fun gameplay that you don't see in other games. I don't get scared by games or movies I just enjoy the ride.

RPG

I always hated RPG games thinking why would you just stand around and let the bad guys hit you lol. But after playing the demo for Xenogears I saw what an RPG can do so many years later I got Xenosaga on PS2 and fell in love with the genre. I enjoy the epic and detailed stories they tell and the fun battle system making you think about every move.

I have tons and tons of RPG's but I have only really played and finished a small amount of them so I can't really say they are high up on my list. The downside of RPG's is the amount of time they take to finish. A FPS I can blast by in a handful of hours but a RPG takes 50 or more hours most times and can drag on making me want it to just end already.

Hidden Object Games

Hidden object games are fun adventure puzzle games where you are given a scene with a mess of items throw around and you need to find the objects on the list. I always thought these games to be silly and not as great as normal point and click adventure games until just recently. I was always attracted to the very colorful artwork of the Artifex Mundi HO games and collected some of them from bundles. I played one during the winter steam sale to get trading cards but got very into the game.

I love the colorful art and the fun puzzles with nice stories. They are not super mind breaking hard so that's a plus for me. Just simple casual fun that go for 5 or so hours then on to the next.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Others genre's I enjoy are Racing and platformers ( Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Banjo Kazzoie ) Platformers would have made my list of top 4 but I had to give credit to my new obsession for Hidden object games.

• Like 1

Great replies so far!

And yeah, TK, I'd say action adventure games are pretty much a subdivision of adventure games. :)

Also, Rex totally reminded me about Survival Horror, which I somehow forgot to put on the genre list (updated the list to reflect the change, btw). Marcus would probably murder me right now if he were here. :cry:

RPGs - Action, Strategy, Turn-based.  Doesn't matter.

Action Games.

Adventure Games

FPS Games - I play a lot of these.  You actually may not have known that.

RPGs - Action, Strategy, Turn-based.  Doesn't matter.

Action Games.

Adventure Games

FPS Games - I play a lot of these.  You actually may not have known that.

You forgot to add LEGO genre to that list! ;)

I don't my answer will surprise anyone who knows me, lol.

RPG- I haven't really met one that I didn't like. Or maybe I did and chose to erase all memories of it. 

Simulation- Allow me to play God to unsuspecting Sims/animals/whatevers? Yes, please! There's some kind of calming effect when you have control over things in a game. Not to mention, where else I can live out that fantasy of creating the perfect form of me and allowing her to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Visual Novel- I enjoy reading (which makes it easier for me to enjoy RPGs) and again, there is that sense of control. Granted, you don't get a lot of control with only being able to choose from a select number of choices. But it's fun.

And you know, thinking up a fourth one is tough. I like all the other genres and what they offer. 

For me, the top two contenders for first place would be Action and FPS followed by Adventure and RPG.

I'd have to say RPG (particularly JRPG and SRPG, Strategy, Action/Adventure and FPS.

I pretty much enjoy games from every genre so that causes backlog problems and tough purchasing decisions.

You forgot to add LEGO genre to that list! ;)

I'm not even sure where those would fit. An Action/Adventure Platforming game with a hint Puzzle and Sandbox?

I propose a new category: Swiss Army Knife.  Games that wield several categories at a time.

I always considered "point and click" the same thing as Adventure(exploration and puzzle solving) and considered things like Zelda and the Prince of Persia Sands of Time Trilogy "action/adventure"(What I described combined with Action game elements). I have also noticed a trend to call pretty much any game "action/adventure" like Grand Theft Auto is not "Action/Adventure" as it has zero qualities of an Adventure game. Anyway, since everyone obviously has completely different ideas of what belongs in what genre anyway I'll just pick the genres as I see them.

Adventure - I love puzzle solving and find it extremely lacking in most games today. This is still one of my favourite genres and includes one of the greatest (and hardest) games ever made, Riven. Other examples: ICO, Syberia and the Monkey Island series.

Action/Adventure - Really a lost genre, not many games that are released are true Action/Adventure games combining the two genres. These games have puzzles solving, exploration and action elements. Examples: The Legend of Zelda, Prince of Persia Sands of Time Trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime and God of War 1 and 2.

Platformer - Super Mario Galaxy. Nuff' said. Other examples: Ratchet and Clank(the main games, not the weird spin-offs), Sly Cooper, Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong Country.

Interactive Drama - This is a new genre originally only being made by Quantic Dream, then later Telltale brought it into the mainstream spotlight. The first game like this I played was Indigo Prophecy. It is very dated now, but at the time I thought that game was amazing and then I was blown away even more by Heavy Rain. I also loved Beyond: Two Souls even if it was more straight forward than Heavy Rain. Then I played The Walking Dead which was awesome followed by The Wolf Among Us which was even better (Where is Wolf Among Us Season 2?!).

Honourable Mentions:

RPG - This is a genre that has evolved quite a bit over the years. It started with things like Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, all awesome games. Then other things started being thrown in the mix like more action oriented combat (Kingdom Hearts), dialogue systems that effect the story (Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins), then huge open worlds and dialogue systems with a mix of action and more traditional RPG elements(Fallout 3 and New Vegas). Other examples: Paper Mario 1 and The Thousand Year Door, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Skies of Arcadia.

Let's see, let's see....

I'll try and keep this as concise as possible, but I'm not really doing anything original here, haha. You guys know me well enough by now to know the things I like.

First would probably be fighting games, obviously. Especially recently, with the level of competitiveness I've shown towards the genre. Second would have to be RPGs as a genre, so it encompasses JRPGs as well as I've easily spent the most time on this genre alone. From games like Final Fantasy to Paper Mario. You give me a decent combat system, a decent story or narrative, and a kick ass sound track (required) and I'm sold. Third and fourth are more of a toss up for me, but because of how some of my genres cross over each other it's probably a tie between puzzle / visual novels. If I could encompass them into one category, then adventure or action / adventure would have taken a spot. It's when comparing games like Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton to Zero Escape and Dangan Ronpa. I know there's a lot of spill over between the franchises, but considering those are the types of games I love, I can't just not mention both. The only thing left I'd mention on this would be an honorary mention of something that doesn't really fit the category. While it's not a game genre per say and more a feature, I absolutely love CO-OP games, especially in horror survival aspects or things of that nature. Resident Evil 5 was one of my favorite games of the PS3 / Xbox 360 generation because of this solely.