HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Shin GenX

Dark Soul 3 - True Colors Trailer.

Does this look awesome or what ^^

Man, I just love this series.  Once again this looks scary, challenging, fun, hard, rewarding, all that jazz.

Wow that was really good song as the background for the game. I still haven't played this. Maybe after wind waker. Stopped wind waker again because I had to play more destiny during my off days.

Looks good and the song was a cover of a Cyndi Lauper song. I've never actually played any of these games (Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Bloodborne). I just always heard how hard they were and never bothered. -_- So are these like action games with RPG elements?

Wow that was really good song as the background for the game. I still haven't played this. Maybe after wind waker. Stopped wind waker again because I had to play more destiny during my off days.

Wow, you're playing something other than Diablo 3?! Just kidding... :P

Another grinding game that has no ending. A repeat of D3 but with guns :P. Sad sad sad

Another grinding game that has no ending. A repeat of D3 but with guns :P. Sad sad sad

Hahaha that's true you did just replace one loot/grind game for another.  But from what I hear both very good ^^

Looks good and the song was a cover of a Cyndi Lauper song. I've never actually played any of these games (Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Bloodborne). I just always heard how hard they were and never bothered. -_- So are these like action games with RPG elements?

Man you asked me a Dark Souls question?  If we were meeting in person I could give you a 20 min pitch on why Dark Souls 1 was one of the best games I ever played.

But just to answer your question.  When I was playing Dark Souls this is what I thought.  Zelda with some more RPG elements set in a mature high fantasy world, where every aspect of the game has a reason or thought behind it.  The greatest example being death itself.  There is zero reloading in this game.  You can never go back to the last save point, you are always progressing and every choice you make is final.  I once accidentally killed an NPC and that was that, I never got to meet him again until New Game Plus.

It is a game with a sense of challenge and real adventure.  If you have the time and love video games, try it ^^

• Like 1

It's a cool trailer and the game definitely looks great, but I think this song is a much better fit: (spoiler: NSFW language)

Anyway, I still need to get around to playing the first game. Like, I have it, and I even started a file on it and played for a bit, but...that's all I can say right now. :P

Man you asked me a Dark Souls question?  If we were meeting in person I could give you a 20 min pitch on why Dark Souls 1 was one of the best games I ever played.

But just to answer your question.  When I was playing Dark Souls this is what I thought.  Zelda with some more RPG elements set in a mature high fantasy world, where every aspect of the game has a reason or thought behind it.  The greatest example being death itself.  There is zero reloading in this game.  You can never go back to the last save point, you are always progressing and every choice you make is final.  I once accidentally killed an NPC and that was that, I never got to meet him again until New Game Plus.

It is a game with a sense of challenge and real adventure.  If you have the time and love video games, try it ^^

This is a game that will require a walkthrough if you don't want to regret any decisions.

This is a game that will require a walkthrough if you don't want to regret any decisions.

Unless the walkthrough has a way to not kill Sif, then there will always be regret.

Unless the walkthrough has a way to not kill Sif, then there will always be regret.

Lol, I guess that is like Walking Dead the game. Just can't be fully happy at the end.

Sounds cool. If the game is like Zelda does that mean it has puzzles? The trailer made it look kind of like Ninja Gaiden or something. As for the choices part, is it like Fallout 3 or KotOR? I kind of thought the game was like a action dungeon crawler.

It's a cool trailer and the game definitely looks great, but I think this song is a much better fit: (spoiler: NSFW language)

Anyway, I still need to get around to playing the first game. Like, I have it, and I even started a file on it and played for a bit, but...that's all I can say right now. :P

Real talk, I'd love a trailer that is properly edited to this song (since I like this song more than that official trailer song /went there.). And you don't really NEED to play any specific game. Their stories are near nonsense except for the hardcore people who connect like ALL THE DOTS BASED ON ITEM DESCRIPTIONS and make 30 minute youtube videos and the gameplay/controls only improve with newer games (despite how some people hate on Dark Souls 2.).

• Like 1

Sounds cool. If the game is like Zelda does that mean it has puzzles? The trailer made it look kind of like Ninja Gaiden or something. As for the choices part, is it like Fallout 3 or KotOR? I kind of thought the game was like a action dungeon crawler.

Hmmm maybe I do need more explanation.  This game if I remember correctly doesn't really have any Zelda like puzzles.  Some minor puzzles like some areas need to be opened after certain things etc, but not the main.  This game is about adventure in a more real sense.  The sense of accomplishment comes from understanding your surroundings overcoming your enemies and getting to the next location.  Because death matters there is a sense of fear in progressing.

Choices are much more open I would say something more like Baldur's gate rather than FO3 or KOTOR.  The choices are not really in your face.  And the choices are much more organic and less story based.  The choices are more in what kind of character you want to be.  A mage, a sword fighter, a quick fighter or more huge shields and big swords etc.

As some other people mentioned the game is very cryptic and you are encouraged to look for help both in game and outside the game.  This is a game where looking for some help online and people is OK I think.  The game is hard, but a good hard.

Here is actually a really good video that talks about the pros and cons of the game,  done by the game theorist guys ^^

• Like 1

Going off of Shin's Zelda comparison, I remember hearing someone once say that Demon's Souls (I'll apply it to Dark Souls too) is basically what would have happened if Zelda decided to go more pure action-RPG than puzzle game (...and was more clear cut dark fantasy than... Nintendo-y.). There is a reason why the "it's like Dark Souls" comparison is so tired is because it has its own distinct look and feel to the gameplay and people find it difficult to compare it to other stuff properly. It has done a lot of unique stuff with its overall structure (it's sorta of like how people don't make open-world games like Bethesda. People don't quite make action-RPGs like Demon's/Dark Souls). The world and enemy design is kinda amazing in most of those games and there is real reward for exploring thoroughly because it's very handcrafted. Granted, exploration can also very easily lead to your death too if you aren't cautious....

Also, while the games are most certainly difficult if you take a look at the trophy completion for the games (PSN, at least) you'd be surprised to notice that a lot of games have at least half the people complete the main game. This can mean basically two things 1) they are certainly beatable despite how people hype up the difficulty ("patience" is the term I'd use before "skill" in most -Souls games.) 2) you can use online co-op as a crutch to beat levels/bosses if you want.

But yeah, there are a lot of obtuse aspects about their mechanics, sidequests, and such that are confusing at a first glance. The online community does A LOT for the game and I personally think it's totally worth PS+ or whatever service you have while playing through them for cool little things.

I basically checked out Demon's Souls when I heard that a player character could be a main boss in one area and since then the games have done many creative things with online integration.

Yeah another thing that I really love about this game is how the multiplayer is integrated.  I am normally a single player focused person, but this games MP exists firmly and even lore-wise inside the Single player world.

You get help from people and when you do it is awesome, and you actually are very thankful, because most times you will meet them or use them to get over a difficult boss.  Oh and I almost forgot, sometimes they just show  up and kill you....  but that is also memorable in a not so good way ^^  but memorable none the less.

So even though this game is SP in general when the MP part happens it actually feels more impactful than a full on MP game.  For example I never feel gratitude for the other players when I play a game of Halo 5, all I care is about myself and what I did.  But with Dark Souls the encounters that you have with other players is memorable in good and bad ways.

But like I said before, all things are part of the game and lore.  In one sense yes the game is obtuse but on the basic sense the game makes so much sense as a well put together game/universe.

Last year I spent a month on Dark Souls. It was worth the tortured fun. I got my character to level 112 when I beat the game. If I can beat so can you. It takes patience and memorizing.

Is there a max level in that game?

Is there a max level in that game?

I think it's around 700 if you want to max every stat of your character. o_o

I think it's around 700 if you want to max every stat of your character. o_o

Wow, the ultimate grind then? I am really intrigued now.