HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Venom

What do you think about Microsoft's cross-platform play initiative?

So, as you may or may not have heard, Microsoft has recently unveiled a new initiative regarding cross-platform play. Where at first they were focused on allowing Windows 10 and Xbox users to play online with each other, it seems now Microsoft is hoping to open the gates to allow Xbox Live users to play alongside users on other multiplayer services, such as Playstation Network and Steam. The idea is establishing an even larger player-base for multiplayer games and bringing together users from across different consoles to enjoy the experiences together. The first game to support this notion is Rocket League, which is already a hit on its respective platforms and should benefit from pooling players across PC and console together. Of course, it would be up to individual developers if they want to take advantage of this or not, so it could potentially reinvigorate existing games and benefit newly launched ones, or it could go nowhere at all.

So with that explanation done, my question is...how do you feel about it? Excited by the possibility? Don't care? Worried about even more children cursing and screaming in your headset? Whatever your thoughts, scream them out below!

For me, personally, I don't see how it's as big a deal as some are making it out to be. I mean, yes, if it happens, it's essentially tearing down a wall between competing console manufacturers to unite their userbases to enjoy their gaming experiences together, so that's something. But on the other hand, most of the games that would benefit from this like Battlefront or Call of Duty or whatever already have huge amounts of loyal players across both PSN and XBL (I'm just gonna assume for now Nintendo wouldn't participate) so it's not like there's a shortage of players that needs to be addressed. Perhaps this could be the first step towards closer working relationships between the big console makers, but it could just as easily not really go anywhere and no one will care about it within a few months.

Sony has always been open to the idea of Cross Play while Microsoft has always been against it.  They wanted to protect their "live" servers from mingling with the masses.  At first glance this appears to be a major shift in their philosophy, but then you realize this is less about "Cross Platform Play" and more about trying to create a universal Windows platform... not that I care.  I really don't care what they do as long as it doesn't lead to navigating ads in the middle of a game...

This is good news for me. I can get more of my friends that has destiny on PS4 to be a part of our raid team since our group all are on X1 right now.

I think this is a great thing if it happens whether or not MS is doing it for the gamer as a main focal point. The ability to say I can just buy one system and play the one game I like on the system I prefer and still play it with my friends who own the same game on a different console is big. For gamers it allows you to play with more friends and not have to worry about, the question "What system do you have this game on?"

Gaming has changed.

It's no longer about developers, companies, or games. It's an endless series of online battles, fought by console gamers and PC gamers.

Gaming--and it's consumption of technology--has become a well-built machine.

Gaming has changed.

ID-tagged gamers carry ID-tagged trophies/achievements, use ID-tagged gaming information. The headsets on their heads enhance and regulate their gaming communications.

Motion control, information control, family settings security control, online control...everything is monitored and kept under control.

Gaming...has changed.

The age of gaming has become the age of online/digital, all in the name of averting catastrophe from scratched discs of used games, and Gamestop who controls selling these controls costs.

Gaming...has changed.

When the online battlefield is under total control, console/PC war becomes routine.

______

I can see this as a war between Consoles and PC to talk about who's better in control online or something.

*A high five to anyone who gets the quote reference lol

• Like 1

This is good news for me. I can get more of my friends that has destiny on PS4 to be a part of our raid team since our group all are on X1 right now.

I think this is a great thing if it happens whether or not MS is doing it for the gamer as a main focal point. The ability to say I can just buy one system and play the one game I like on the system I prefer and still play it with my friends who own the same game on a different console is big. For gamers it allows you to play with more friends and not have to worry about, the question "What system do you have this game on?"

I never really thought about that since most of the people I play online with generally play on Playstation or Steam. It would definitely be a big deal for friends who own the same game but on different platforms. ^_^ Another thing I didn't think of was how, if this really takes off, it could end all the silly console exclusive DLCs and such so no one has to be like "if I get the game on Playstation I'll get this item, but if I get it on Xbox I'll get this item..." If everyone could play with each other it would make more sense to give everyone the same version of the game.

I never really thought about that since most of the people I play online with generally play on Playstation or Steam. It would definitely be a big deal for friends who own the same game but on different platforms. ^_^ Another thing I didn't think of was how, if this really takes off, it could end all the silly console exclusive DLCs and such so no one has to be like "if I get the game on Playstation I'll get this item, but if I get it on Xbox I'll get this item..." If everyone could play with each other it would make more sense to give everyone the same version of the game.

My thoughts exactly. I hate how different console version will give you different things. You won't get the full experience in my opinion. It isn't a big deal but if you already have to pay for DLC, you don't want to miss out on anything. Plus, for games that give you in game items it may matter as some items might be better than others.

I don't think it's a huge deal but I guess it's nice for Windows 10 and XB1 users. Also, XB1 and 360 are cross compatible w/ multiplayer as well (at least the games that have 360 backward compatibility on XB1).

But yeah, I don't think this is a huge leg up on Sony or anything. Didn't they announce that PC x PS4 was now a thing? Or was that just that you could remote play your PS4 on PC? xD

I don't play many online games, but the one I played recently was Portal 2 on PS3 and that allows you to play with people over PSN or Steam. In that particular case the only people I could find to play the game with were on Steam, so without cross-play I would have been SOL.