HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

How do you balance playing each console/platform you own?

You may have heard me mention it before, but now that I own an Xbox One, I own every current-gen console; a first for me, actually. I didn't plan on getting one, but I managed to snag a deal that was too good to be true.

Anyhow, one of my initial worries about getting an Xbox One was whether or not I'd really use it that much. My main console up until then had been the PS4 (my go-to platform for everything not on Wii U, essentially), so what games would I play on Xbox One beyond the few exclusives I'm interested in? Would I even have time for all three?

Surprisingly enough, I've been getting into a routine where I've been using both pretty regularly. Essentially, I'll play something on the Xbox One, then turn it off and switch over to PS4 or Wii U, and then continue to cycle through all three throughout the week. I dunno if it'll always be like that, but for now, there's always at least one game I want to play on each, so I'm able to maintain balance that way.

What about any of you? Do you have trouble balancing playing your consoles? Does your Xbox One go unused most of the time while you play PS4? Or do you give the PC all your attention and neglect consoles? Or maybe you're strictly handheld at the moment? xD

I don't really keep a balance myself. Oh, sure, I feel bad that I never play my Vita or 3DS, and I felt bad that I never played my 360 when I had one (I eventually got rid of it because it was basically a paperweight) but I never go to any length to actually do anything about it. Sometimes I'll basically only play Wii U for like a month and then abandon it for some PS4 games, then try to juggle games across different systems with no real pattern. If I have to force myself to play a particular system just to get in some time with it then I probably won't have fun, so I don't bother. ^_^

I suppose it's a factor when I'm deciding if I should buy a new system, but really, I've only ever hesitated with Xbox systems. I bought the original Xbox way into its lifetime because I found a cheap used one, figuring I wouldn't really play it much. (though I did end up playing it quite a bit) I got the 360 as a gift and it went from being my main system for the first couple of years to never being touched, and now I'll probably keep putting off getting an Xbox One because there's only a few games I really want and I don't want it to end up collecting dust like my 360.

My poor consoles just sit around and collect dust while PC gets all the love. :( I usually focus on one platform and one game at a time. Some times I can play a few games at a time but if I start to enjoy one more then the others end up getting dropped and never see the light of day again so it's very risky. I guess the problem is I am always on my PC so it's just easier to play PC and neglect the consoles. Currently I am playing Oceanhorn on PC and Zelda ocarina of time on 3DS. This combo actually helps each other out because they are both the same type of game so they inspire me to play the other.

You may have heard me mention it before, but now that I own an Xbox One, I own every current-gen console; a first for me, actually. I didn't plan on getting one, but I managed to snag a deal that was too good to be true.

Anyhow, one of my initial worries about getting an Xbox One was whether or not I'd really use it that much. My main console up until then had been the PS4 (my go-to platform for everything not on Wii U, essentially), so what games would I play on Xbox One beyond the few exclusives I'm interested in? Would I even have time for all three?

Surprisingly enough, I've been getting into a routine where I've been using both pretty regularly. Essentially, I'll play something on the Xbox One, then turn it off and switch over to PS4 or Wii U, and then continue to cycle through all three throughout the week. I dunno if it'll always be like that, but for now, there's always at least one game I want to play on each, so I'm able to maintain balance that way.

What about any of you? Do you have trouble balancing playing your consoles? Does your Xbox One go unused most of the time while you play PS4? Or do you give the PC all your attention and neglect consoles? Or maybe you're strictly handheld at the moment? xD

Wow so little love for the xbox one ^^  You just assume that either people have both the xbox one and ps4 or they don't own an xbox one ^^  Thank you for putting us faithful ms fanboys down ^^  (hahaha joking, even though the representation of the xbox one on this site in general is lacking. ^^)

Well I don't own a ps4 but only have an xbox one so there ya go, problem solved, just sell your ps4.... not the answer you were looking for eh?

Well I balance between pc, xbox one and a little embarrassed to admit but mobile gaming.  My main is definitely xbox one, while the others are for back up ^^  So not much shifting.  I only have one main console so I treat that as my main gaming system.

• Like 1

I play PS4/PS3 mainly because I have the most games for them. I play Wii/ Wii U when I get the urge or if I get something I've been looking forward to like Skyward Sword.

As for PC, I pretty much never play it anymore which is odd since I used to play it quite a bit, in particular free AGS games.

• Like 1

Wow so little love for the xbox one ^^  You just assume that either people have both the xbox one and ps4 or they don't own an xbox one ^^  Thank you for putting us faithful ms fanboys down ^^  (hahaha joking, even though the representation of the xbox one on this site in general is lacking. ^^)

Well I don't own a ps4 but only have an xbox one so there ya go, problem solved, just sell your ps4.... not the answer you were looking for eh?

Well I balance between pc, xbox one and a little embarrassed to admit but mobile gaming.  My main is definitely xbox one, while the others are for back up ^^  So not much shifting.  I only have one main console so I treat that as my main gaming system.

I really do not think it is a matter of a lack of love, but more of an issue of not many owners. Outside of you and myself, I'm under the impression that maybe the only other X1 owner is Jason.

Personally, I don't even balance. 6 of the last 7 console games I've played have been on ps4. I'm not making a judgment, just the way things turned out so far this year. The PSN sale (with 20% off code) allowed me to get Xenoverse, Zestiria, Battlefront and a few others for under $60. My next purchase will be on PS4 as well (Uncharted 4).

I neglect systems for extended periods of time and then will plow through games. After Fallout 4 (which I never finished), I went like 2 months of not even booting up my PS4.... then I burned through Battlefront leveling.

I really do not think it is a matter of a lack of love, but more of an issue of not many owners. Outside of you and myself, I'm under the impression that maybe the only other X1 owner is Jason.

Yeah, the lack of Xbox owners is definitely felt here; I believe only four of the active people on this site currently have an XB1 (that I know of): ShinGen X, John, me, and Laddie. I think Kezins may have one too, but I haven't seen him in a while. Still, the good news is you'll be seeing more XB1 stuff now that I have one, LOL. :D

• Like 1

I can balance a couple systems, it really just depends on what games are being played. It's easier to do with mobile vs. console in my opinion. Go with whatever is working for you in balancing the usage of the consoles.

Yeah, the lack of Xbox owners is definitely felt here; I believe only four of the active people on this site currently have an XB1 (that I know of): ShinGen X, John, me, and Laddie. I think Kezins may have one too, but I haven't seen him in a while. Still, the good news is you'll be seeing more XB1 stuff now that I have one, LOL. :D

Yay!! ^^

Hahaha well hope you have gold because this month is looking real good.  Real excited to try out Sunset overdrive.  I played the demo and it seems like my kinda game.  3 person shooter mixed with Jet Set Grind Radio it seemed ^^.

It really just depends on what game I want to play. I have so many games in the backlog that it is hard to decide which game to play next. I usually will pick one and then play that one whichever console I have it on or it is on. For example, with Diablo that was one PC so I ended up using my PC mainly for like the last 2 years or so. Now it is Destiny on the Xbox one and well that will be the console I main for a while now because of that game.

Trophies have basically narrowed my gaming down to PlayStation platforms only. I devote most of my time to PS4 although I haven't left the PS3 behind either. Every time I think I've made the permanent jump to current gen, a game pops up that I really want to check out. Currently Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon have caught my interest. My PS Vita has been relegated to travel. I travel quite a bit so it's not completely ignored but I save any new games for my next trip.

While I have all consoles, and a PC, I've changed so much this generation. I was previously mainly a Sony gamer, but something definitely switched in my brain as I am pretty much exclusive to the X1 these days. I really haven't been impressed with Sony's exclusives so far for the PS4. One other thing that has tied me to the X1 is the ease of adding an external HDD, these games take up so much space. I also bought myself one of those fancy Elite controllers, and I really like the customization it offers me, which means I'm buying most third party games on X1 as well.

I know I'm in the minority here, but my least played console is my WiiU. In fact I have only ever played Bayonetta 2 on it. Yeah, I'm definitely not balancing my time between consoles.

• Like 1

While I have all consoles, and a PC, I've changed so much this generation. I was previously mainly a Sony gamer, but something definitely switched in my brain as I am pretty much exclusive to the X1 these days. I really haven't been impressed with Sony's exclusives so far for the PS4. One other thing that has tied me to the X1 is the ease of adding an external HDD, these games take up so much space. I also bought myself one of those fancy Elite controllers, and I really like the customization it offers me, which means I'm buying most third party games on X1 as well.

I know I'm in the minority here, but my least played console is my WiiU. In fact I have only ever played Bayonetta 2 on it. Yeah, I'm definitely not balancing my time between consoles.

Dang you own an Elite Controller.  I was very interested but the price was too much for me.  Good to see another person enjoying their xbox one ^^

I got mine as a gift so didn't even need to drop the money but haven't had any complaints so far ^^

• Like 1

Personally, I don't even balance. 6 of the last 7 console games I've played have been on ps4. I'm not making a judgment, just the way things turned out so far this year. The PSN sale (with 20% off code) allowed me to get Xenoverse, Zestiria, Battlefront and a few others for under $60. My next purchase will be on PS4 as well (Uncharted 4).

I neglect systems for extended periods of time and then will plow through games. After Fallout 4 (which I never finished), I went like 2 months of not even booting up my PS4.... then I burned through Battlefront leveling.

*Slowly raises hand.* I'm present and accounted for. *Waves Microsoft flag*

• Like 2

I don't.

I haven't turned my Vita on in like 6 months.  My PS3 was ignored for quite a while before I decided to buckle down and finish the backlog of Atelier games I have.

Right now it's all Nintendo all the time, but there have been periods where I don't touch my 3DS or Wii U for long periods of time, either.  Just how my preferences roll.

• Like 1

I don't.

I haven't turned my Vita on in like 6 months.  My PS3 was ignored for quite a while before I decided to buckle down and finish the backlog of Atelier games I have.

Right now it's all Nintendo all the time, but there have been periods where I don't touch my 3DS or Wii U for long periods of time, either.  Just how my preferences roll.

I'm having the same issue with my PS3 right now. I've got a ton of games in my backlog (both digitally and physically) for it, and now that issue is compounded by the fact that I got a PS4 AND Xbox One in the last 5 months. So yeah... :unsure:

Props to you for zeroing in on something specific like the Atelier games, though! I should try the same for my PS3 with the LEGO games I have, lol. If I had to offer a suggestion, it'd be to take a short break from the Atelier series after every game you beat, otherwise you can really wear yourself out quick (unless you're Seda, who can play an entire series in one go. xD).

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll definitely sprinkle some other games in there after every Atelier beat (like maybe that backlog of Platinum games I also have...), I'm not a crazy machine like him lol.  I do want to finish the series backlog off at lest, though... 4 games and me playing one a year isn't working when the series gets annual releases >.>

I used to be pretty good at balancing every console last gen (though, I did favor PSP and DS.). This gen.... I usually bounce between like 1 handheld and 1 console. Much like everyone else, I have pretty much ignored last gen and older systems this past year (actually, I didn't really touch my 3DS at all last year, tbh. This year changed that.). I think I maybe reviewed a few PS3 games early last year before I completely stopped playing it. (Though, some games like Ni No Kuni on PS3 and Skyward Sword on Wii are bugging me to play them....). 

Anyway, I'm not even great at playing stuff I do own nowadays. I never touch the PC games that I buy. I have a Wii-U backlog that I want to clean up but I'm only very slowly going through Wonderful 101 (haven't touched Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, etc. Venom does remind me that Splatoon and Super Trash Bros are things that exist). So, it's pretty much only PS4 and either 3DS/Vita for me lately (no Xbox One. I usually get every console at some point though.)

My strategy for handheld games (I'm a self-proclaimed handheld fanboy) is chipping away at them during lunch breaks, right before I call it a night, and my regular trips to my allergy doctor (and during free time, of course). I've also been... dishonestly playing handheld games while my friend has been trying to get me to watch more recent TV shows/movies lately (I've learned that listening to dialogue is often much more important than seeing them say it in stuff like Game of Thrones). PS4 I'm more sporadic since I mainly touch it just for random reviews (and.... Dark Souls 3 next week.), but I do try to not be handheld all the time.

I used to be pretty good at balancing every console last gen (though, I did favor PSP and DS.). This gen.... I usually bounce between like 1 handheld and 1 console. Much like everyone else, I have pretty much ignored last gen and older systems this past year (actually, I didn't really touch my 3DS at all last year, tbh. This year changed that.). I think I maybe reviewed a few PS3 games early last year before I completely stopped playing it. (Though, some games like Ni No Kuni on PS3 and Skyward Sword on Wii are bugging me to play them....). 

Anyway, I'm not even great at playing stuff I do own nowadays. I never touch the PC games that I buy. I have a Wii-U backlog that I want to clean up but I'm only very slowly going through Wonderful 101 (haven't touched Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, etc. Venom does remind me that Splatoon and Super Trash Bros are things that exist). So, it's pretty much only PS4 and either 3DS/Vita for me lately (no Xbox One. I usually get every console at some point though.)

My strategy for handheld games (I'm a self-proclaimed handheld fanboy) is chipping away at them during lunch breaks, right before I call it a night, and my regular trips to my allergy doctor (and during free time, of course). I've also been... dishonestly playing handheld games while my friend has been trying to get me to watch more recent TV shows/movies lately (I've learned that listening to dialogue is often much more important than seeing them say it in stuff like Game of Thrones). PS4 I'm more sporadic since I mainly touch it just for random reviews (and.... Dark Souls 3 next week.), but I do try to not be handheld all the time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you haven't gotten to Skyward Sword by now, you'll probably never play it. 40 hours is a lot of time to commit these days, and since you review 70-80% of all the RPGs on this site, I imagine that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for other stuff, especially backlog games from years ago. My suggestion would be to actually plan out a schedule to play it if it really is calling to you; like, plan to start it after you're done with Dark Souls III or something. I know that's the only way I ever get through older games.

I like to think of it this way - we all want to get to our backlog games, but new games (both free-time games and review) are like waves that keep crashing onto the beach; they just keep coming, so unless you really carve out time to get to something you've been interested in playing, it usually won't happen without some form of effort.

(Though, some games like Ni No Kuni on PS3 and Skyward Sword on Wii are bugging me to play them....). 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you haven't gotten to Skyward Sword by now, you'll probably never play it.

Nooooooooooooo! So many unplayed awesome games. The boss at the ancient cistern is probably the greatest boss battle of all time!

I like to think of it this way - we all want to get to our backlog games, but new games (both free-time games and review) are like waves that keep crashing onto the beach; they just keep coming, so unless you really carve out time to get to something you've been interested in playing, it usually won't happen without some form of effort.

that might be part of why i stopped reviewing games so much

• Like 1

Nooooooooooooo! So many unplayed awesome games. The boss at the ancient cistern is probably the greatest boss battle of all time!

That's a high expectation! (that... I have a hard time believing unless you tell me it breaks from the Zelda's standard 3 hit kill patterns.). But honestly, I Skyward Sword has just been a lot of excuses for me to overlook it. Originally it was because of Twilight Princess fatigue that made me apathetic about Zelda for a while, then it turned into fuzzy display problems on my HD TV/40+hr playtime fear, and now it's... a lingering hope that they'll give it the HD treatment like WW/TP on Wii-U. I'm curious about it but mentally I'm having a hard time setting aside time to actually play it.

That's a high expectation! (that... I have a hard time believing unless you tell me it breaks from the Zelda's standard 3 hit kill patterns.). But honestly, I Skyward Sword has just been a lot of excuses for me to overlook it. Originally it was because of Twilight Princess fatigue that made me apathetic about Zelda for a while, then it turned into fuzzy display problems on my HD TV/40+hr playtime fear, and now it's... a lingering hope that they'll give it the HD treatment like WW/TP on Wii-U. I'm curious about it but mentally I'm having a hard time setting aside time to actually play it.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I thought the boss was very unique and fun... The game did have a bit of filler to make it longer and would have been better without it and certain gameplay aspects wear a bit thin by the end, but I thought overall the game was very fun. It wasn't one of those long games that I was like "This is so looong! When will it be over?!", it actually seemed to go by pretty fast.

As for the HD treatment on Wii U, I don't know. It would have to have motion controls because they are so ingrained into the gameplay and having a Wii U game that requires a Wiimote might be confusing for some people.