HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
barrel

Games you would assume most have already played.

So, it's pretty much impossible to play all highly-regarded games ever, but when talking to another person whom seems knowledgeable about games (in general) what games would you believe they would likely have already played at some point?

This came to my mind when talking about Resident Evil 4, which is on a ton of platforms, and I assumed the other person had played it almost w/o question because it's so influential to modern games. Which is still weird, since time is limited for everyone and it's certainly possible to overlook something even if it was popular at the time (also, we are easily hitting a new generation of gamers where New Super Mario Bros will seem like a fossil to them.). But anyway, to reiterate the topic's idea, I think I would likely assume that most people who are passionate about gaming would have at least touched Pac-Man (some version), SOME Mario game, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Resident Evil 4. What about you guys?

Hmm not sure how to understand or answer this question, but I'll give it a shot. Uh I think there are some games I have knowledge or have passion with, but never fully played them. Like you mentioned Zelda is one of them and Resident Evil 4. I believe I've played a lot of RE4 back in the days, but never beaten it, but do have some knowledge because I watched my bro and friends play and beat it. As for Zelda I know I never beaten any of the games, but played sparingly in some and still know the knowledge of the game's liore. Am I answering to this topic right? Anyways I have a lot of discussion about these kind of games with friends even though I never fully beaten them. My list includes Final Fantasy I-VI (never beaten, but sparingly played and know the story and such I think), Tactics, etc. I think Dragon Quest, Lost Odyssey, and Blue Dragon are some too. 

I would probably have gone with Super Mario Bros., but I think at this point there are people who were raised on Xbox and PS2 who would never deign to touch such a "primitive" game so I wouldn't be confident saying that everyone's played it anymore. Which is sad. :P

Anyway, I agree about Resi 4, it seems like there's no way anyone hasn't played it already unless they just didn't want to in the first place. I'm pretty sure if nothing else everyone has SEEN someone play it, though. I'd also think everyone has played some Halo game, probably Halo 2 or 3 since those seem to be the most popular. I feel like even people who never owned an Xbox console have probably played it at someone else's house or at a demo stand or something. I'd be willing to bet everyone has played at least one Call of Duty game as well, most likely CoD2 since it was one of the first Xbox 360 games or CoD4 since that was the point where the series skyrocketed in popularity. Any Mario game and any Zelda game are also pretty much sure things, and perhaps any Final Fantasy game as well, since it would be the name that would come up first if you were trying to get into RPGs. Most people probably played one of the PS1 ones or FFX at least.

I haven't played RE4 :).

I haven't played RE4 :).

CONFIRMED BOT! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HUMAN WHO HASN'T PLAYED RESIDENT EVIL 4!

I've never played more than a few minutes of any Final Fantasy game. I just couldn't get into it.

Jason, I'm still shocked you have never played an Uncharted game!

CONFIRMED BOT! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HUMAN WHO HASN'T PLAYED RESIDENT EVIL 4!

Technically I played a RE game before. A tiny bit of it when I was younger at a friend birthday party. He rented it and we all took turns playing a little bit of it. But yea never RE 4. I have it on the list to get but I never seen to gotten around to buying the game. Highly doubt I would play it at the moment either.

Never played an uncharted game here as well ^^  Never owned a ps3 or 4 ^^

I assume that everyone has played Tetris!!!  Someone prove  me wrong ^^

I assume everyone has played pong?

Depends.  Pong in its original form?  Doubt it.

But, all I expect most 'knowledge gamers' to play is at least one Mario game.  Doesn't matter which, but I imagine most have played a Mario platformer before.

I try not to assume most gamers have played most popular games just because there could be a myriad of reasons they haven't played x or y game.  I've never played RE4, I didn't play Ocarina of Time until the 3DS version, have never touched Super Metroid, etc, etc.  And one of my big gaming pet peeves are people going "WHY HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED X GAME/WHY DON'T YOU OWN Y IT'S WONDERFUL IT'S FANTASTIC HOW COULD YOU" because... well, sugar, I spend my free time and money how i want.  If I don't wanna buy and play X game that's my choice dammit.  I like recommendations, but when they amount to nothing more than someone complaining that I somehow haven't gotten to whatever yet, it kinda ruins the point of a recommendation.

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with what gai said. It's annoying to get roasted on especially when I never played Chrono Trigger, Zelda, Fallout series, Pokemon, etc. It's just that there are too many games with less time and money. It's unfortunate that happens, but at least I was able to play most of the majority of great games. I don't mind listening to the conversations about the games I never played and it just makes me excited to play them someday.