HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

What other Gen 7 games still need the remaster treatment?

With Batman: Return to Arkham being officially announced today, I was trying to think about other big PS3/360 games that haven't yet made their way onto PS4 and Xbox One.

Honestly, I can only think of a few.

One big one is Red Dead Redemption, and I can totally see Rockstar/Take Two doing a remaster of that one if the rumors about a Red Dead sequel coming out in the near future are true. Also, was GTA 4 ever remastered for the current generation?

Aside from that, the biggest one I'd want to see is a collection of the Ratchet Future games. Why haven't we gotten it yet? I thought for sure it would happen after the first Ratchet & Clank trilogy was remastered.

Anyhow, can you guys think of any other Gen7 games you'd want to see remastered? Or are you sick of remasters at this point?

Uh, none. I guess since I own a PS3 and owned a 360 for a long while (and have several last-gen games on PC), I can't look at it from the point of view of someone who somehow missed these games but also owns a current-gen console and wants to play them. I can get the same games much cheaper on the original console, so to me it's just pointless rehashing, trying to squeeze whatever tiny amount of money out of old games they can to keep their pockets lined until their next actual new game comes out. I am all about remastering games from the sixth generation and earlier, because those are getting harder to find and harder to play with the lack of backwards compatibility, but I'll never see the point of rehashing (seriously, let's stop calling them "remasters" when they barely benefit from the new consoles) seventh-gen games.

• Like 3

I actually agree a lot with what venom said.

That out of the way... I would still buy the crap out off bioshock/mass effect remastered collections

Like I said on the Batman thread and like Venom said here just no. I want new games not games I already own and already played. If Sony is in so much need of money to keep the weak PS4 in the market then let's get some remakes of PS1 and PS2 games. If Sony is out of ideas for new games then let the indies take over and fill the system.

Pretty much what Venom said as well. I'm finally on the PS4 bandwagon and honestly getting sick of remasters. I already have them on last gen so there's no point in upgrading. It feels all cash cow now. I want new PS4 exclusive games with new titles. Sequels are fine. Though there are some exceptions. If I haven't played it on originals, I might as well get the remaster. Next gen gaming is suppose to focus on new games and IPs not remasters. Come on man! Greatness is suppose to await! xD

I guess this trend will continue now. And maybe going forward into the next gen consoles they will do this again as well. I guess Venom already summed up everyone opinion pretty well. I will say, if you already have the games, do you really need to rebuy it? I say no and I try to avoid that. Even for much much older games especially if the consoles for it still works. But let's be real here, we all keep saying we have such a huge backlog, do you really replay games? Is that how you want to spend your time? Me personally I would have to say no. I will say that one game I will most definitely replay is FF7. But for people who never got it, I guess they might as well just pay for the new remastered game unless they want to get a cheaper version of the games from last gen console.

I guess this trend will continue now. And maybe going forward into the next gen consoles they will do this again as well. I guess Venom already summed up everyone opinion pretty well. I will say, if you already have the games, do you really need to rebuy it? I say no and I try to avoid that. Even for much much older games especially if the consoles for it still works. But let's be real here, we all keep saying we have such a huge backlog, do you really replay games? Is that how you want to spend your time? Me personally I would have to say no. I will say that one game I will most definitely replay is FF7. But for people who never got it, I guess they might as well just pay for the new remastered game unless they want to get a cheaper version of the games from last gen console.

Lately i do find myself replaying games I've already played than diving into my backlog.  Don't know why though

I totally find myself wanting to replay my old games from time to time, I guess it's nice to have something comfortable and familiar to fall back on rather than getting into something new. Still, assuming I still own the game on the original console, there's literally no reason to buy the current-gen version to replay it. And even if I ended up trading the game and want to replay it later, it'll be cheaper to get it on last-gen or PC. ^_^ Pretty much every game gets a complete edition on the original console anyway, so it's not like the added DLC matters either.

Lately i do find myself replaying games I've already played than diving into my backlog.  Don't know why though

To be honest, I would love to replay those older games I played. But I don't. I tell myself not to. Just no time really. And of course with Destiny now being my main game that takes up so much time, I barely have time to play new games, let alone the ones I already have played before.

I'm surprised there wasn't an XCOM remaster of sorts.

But honestly, most of the remasters I want are from the generation before that--like FFXII and Skies of Arcadia and whatnot.  I think remasters are cool for those that missed out on the game originally (especially with the Vita to PS4 ports... let's face it, the Vita didn't do too hot), but I can't think of any off the top of my head that I actually want.

• Like 1

I think remasters are cool for those that missed out on the game originally (especially with the Vita to PS4 ports... let's face it, the Vita didn't do too hot),

That brings up another point that I didn't really think about - handheld to current-gen (or PC) ports are totally cool too, because it gives the opportunity to play the game on the big screen and with a comfortable controller. There are a lot of games on Vita that, as soon as I found out they were coming to console/Steam, I decided to just wait on them rather than buy the handheld version. Even games I already owned on Vita aren't immune to the trade up, since I almost never play my Vita so it makes sense to get the version I would play. So...basically all that stuff everyone was agreeing with only applies to console games specifically. :P

• Like 1

I was sitting in my room playing my PS4 and thinking about the reamsters and one game I'd like to see remastered is the Xenosaga series. I've only beatened the first episode and thought ya know this would be a great remaster/remake for next gen. It's one of those classic JRPG games that feels underrated. Anyways another that I possibly see is Kingdom Hearts Final Mix 1/2 Remasters to get people jump on the KH bandwagon to buy KH3. I wouldn't mind it since I never picked up KH2 Final Mix (I do have the first and never touched it lol).

I'm surprised there wasn't an XCOM remaster of sorts.

But honestly, most of the remasters I want are from the generation before that--like FFXII and Skies of Arcadia and whatnot.  I think remasters are cool for those that missed out on the game originally (especially with the Vita to PS4 ports... let's face it, the Vita didn't do too hot), but I can't think of any off the top of my head that I actually want.

Yeah, on the note of Vita to PS4 ports, I'm shocked -- ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED -- that they haven't ported Uncharted: Golden Abyss yet. I have to imagine they will at some point (and get rid of the gimmicky touch stuff in the process); seems like it's too valuable of a game to leave behind only on Vita.