HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Is Sony doing PSN Flash Sales too often now?

EDIT: One thing I will say is that it's cool that this most recent sale is specifically themed for everything to be $5 or under.

PSN Flash Sales can save one a lot of money on certain games so this topic might seem a bit strange, but hear me out.

I've been a big fan of the Flash Sales they've been doing regularly for the past half year or so now, but after the last few months, I've begun to notice something. It seems like the same games keep popping up in every sale, like 60-70% of the games are almost recurring every time. If that's true and only 30-40% are really different games on sale each time, that doesn't leave a whole lot of possibilities for games that you're looking to buy.

There's also the issue of people already having most of the games that are on sale; something I'm noticing more and more now with each sale. For the past two Flash sales, I haven't been interested in buying anything, either because I already own the games I want or bought them during a past Flash sale, or simply because nothing else interests me, especially since they're usually on sale during these times.

I'm wondering if doing the Flash Sales monthly is just too often. Perhaps if they did it quarterly throughout the year, it'd be a much bigger deal for people and would allow for better and different games to be circulated in than just the usual ones on sale. The only games that would really get me excited right now would be stuff like The Witness and Firewatch; of course, since they're super recent games, we might not see them in a Flash Sale until the year's end (or next year).

What do you guys think? Are you still excited for each Flash Sale that happens, or are they losing their luster due to the fact that they happen so often now?

Honestly, I don't think it would make much difference if they slowed down. If publishers wanted to put a wider variety of games in the sales, they would. They'd rather squeeze the last bit of life out of the same handful of games rather than heavily discount something that people are still willing to pick up at full price or at least at a smaller discount. It's the same way other places like Steam, you see the same 50% or whatever deals during the summer/winter sales for the popular titles and only really see 80% off on the older stuff everyone already has, even though those kinds of sales only happen a few times a year.

And for me, personally, flash sales are the only time I get excited about PSN deals anymore, so I'd hate it if they stopped doing them so often. I mean, there may not be much I want in the flash sales, but it's still a nicer selection than their weekly deals that pretty much do the same things every month. (Ubisoft, Rockstar, and CoD/Activision sales are pretty much the norm now)

They definitely aren't discounting recent games as of late, or at least for not very much (unless they are hugely multiplatform. It feels like The Banner Saga and Grim Fandango are the most "recent" things and those were January for PSN ). I can still find at least 1 game I'm willing to buy from every Flash sale but you can see a lot of overlap if you keep up with them or PS+. Because yeah, even among niche stuff I've gotten a good majority of what I'd even want (yes, I know you are on sale again Freedom Wars, but I already bought and played you.).

But yeah, as Vennie said, it seems like Sony is simply not getting publishers to do it (it's reflecting in the PS+ stuff too.). Last generation we definitely saw higher profile games go on sale more often and it's just not happening at all with PSN lately.

I don't know if it matters too much either way. If someone bought the game this month instead of next month, they make money regardless right? They are doing the sale to make more money so as long as someone is buying it then it was a good transaction. I guess if they keep including the same games on sales then they are just trying to get that one last person who have yet to bought it to finally get it.

No way Jason. I'm glad they're doing this often and beats the heck out of that repetitive GTA sales lol. I love these sales of great valued games. It makes it worth waiting than buying full price. Like they said patience is virtue and uh being a cheap ass gamer is great.

I don't know if it matters too much either way. If someone bought the game this month instead of next month, they make money regardless right? They are doing the sale to make more money so as long as someone is buying it then it was a good transaction. I guess if they keep including the same games on sales then they are just trying to get that one last person who have yet to bought it to finally get it.

That is true. I guess what I'm asking is whether people would rather have a few amazing sales (great selection, great discounts) each year, or regular, somewhat mediocre sales that mostly don't have a great selection but may have some good discounts.

That is true. I guess what I'm asking is whether people would rather have a few amazing sales (great selection, great discounts) each year, or regular, somewhat mediocre sales that mostly don't have a great selection but may have some good discounts.

I think a lot of the sales are pretty good though. Most of them are cheap that people can easily buy. Heck, they can even buy one for a friend if they like. Sure they can do like a steam summer and winter sales but I don't think the prices comes out to be much of a difference right? Obviously PC games will cost less especially being on steam. But I mean if they do like 2 annual sales a year on PSN, would the sale be better? I will agree the selection will be more but that is because you have to wait longer for a sale to go up.