HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Austin Walker leaving Giant Bomb, heading up new games website by Vice

If you check out Giant Bomb's videos and podcast, chances are you're familiar with Austin Walker; he was sort of the new Patrick Klepek after Patrick Klepek left due to his slant on breaking certain news stories and being a generally insightful person on games overall.

In any case, Austin Walker recently announced that he'd be leaving Giant Bomb in order to head up a new games website that's being created in conjunction with Vice. This is pretty big news because it'll likely be the biggest new gaming news website since Polygon a few years back.

I'm definitely interested to see what Austin will be up to; he was definitely one of the biggest personalities on the Giant Bombcast alongside Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Alex, and Dan. Apparently he only joined GiantBomb in August of last year.

Anyone else surprised by this news?

I don't really know the guy, but the idea he seems to have for the site seems pretty interesting... kinda like what Polygon's formerly fantastic editorials used to be, from the sounds of it.  I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I don't really know the guy, but the idea he seems to have for the site seems pretty interesting... kinda like what Polygon's formerly fantastic editorials used to be, from the sounds of it.  I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Now that you mention it, it's fascinating to see that the one thing Polygon was sort of created for and that they would champion (deep, long-form features on diverse subjects) is the one thing they had to scrap within a year or two because it just didn't meet the bottom line in the end.

They do some okay reporting from time to time, but it's kinda ironic that they're not that different from IGN and the rest now, and that's exactly what they tried to stand apart from at the beginning.

• Like 1