HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Take that, Windows 10! Woman wins settlement over botched upgrade

You know how Microsoft has been pushing automatic Windows 10 upgrades and such on consumers?

Well, apparently one woman found that her PC was automatically upgrading to it, but the install pretty much ruined her computer.

According to the Seattle Times:

A few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public last year, Teri Goldstein“s computer started trying to download and install the new operating system.

The update, which she says she didn“t authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, Calif., travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time.

“I had never heard of Windows 10,é Goldstein said. “Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update.é

When outreach to Microsoft“s customer support didn“t fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer.

Basically, Microsoft settled with the woman for the $10,000 she was seeking (for lost work time, new computer etc.) so that they wouldn't have to drag out litigation expenses and such.

Honestly, it's kind of cool to hear stories like this if only because I think Microsoft's aggressiveness with forcing Windows 10 on some people has been really anti-consumer and annoying.

At any rate, if your computer upgrades to Windows 10 without you consenting to the upgrade first, perhaps there's some legal precedence for a lawsuit? John might know some more about this, I imagine. xD

Wow I could've done this and got money. My laptop crashes whenever I tried to update Windows 10. I don't bother with it after that. Man lucky woman getting 10k. Here I am and I could use that 10k since I'm still unemployed lol.

I call BS on this story. It does not upgrade unless you click on the upgrade installer and tell it to. It will download the installer for you but YOU have to click it and start it. She just wanted some free money like every moron that sues because their coffee was hot.

Windows 10 is awesome and actually fixed my dumb computer that always froze or broke down randomly. Now it works perfectly without issue and I love it. All of you Windows 10 haters need to stop crying with your troll stories and upgrade to the future!

I mean it was only 10k for MS. That is chump change and that is why she won.

I call BS on this story. It does not upgrade unless you click on the upgrade installer and tell it to. It will download the installer for you but YOU have to click it and start it. She just wanted some free money like every moron that sues because their coffee was hot.

Windows 10 is awesome and actually fixed my dumb computer that always froze or broke down randomly. Now it works perfectly without issue and I love it. All of you Windows 10 haters need to stop crying with your troll stories and upgrade to the future!

It's been a reported issue since they changed the installer in March.  Basically they forced it into being a "recommended update" so if the person had their Windows update preferences set to "Install Recommended Updates" it got installed

• Like 1

It's been a reported issue since they changed the installer in March.  Basically they forced it into being a "recommended update" so if the person had their Windows update preferences set to "Install Recommended Updates" it got installed

Oh well that sucks.

Oh well that sucks.

Yeah, it's requirted a few uninstalls at some of my offices because of it.

That said within 30 days of installing it's possible to use integrated tools to revert back to 7 or 8, whatever was before.  So I'm curious why Microsoft didn't have her do this when she first called about it...

Yeah, it's requirted a few uninstalls at some of my offices because of it.

That said within 30 days of installing it's possible to use integrated tools to revert back to 7 or 8, whatever was before.  So I'm curious why Microsoft didn't have her do this when she first called about it...

Maybe it was after 30 days she called? Don't recall the article saying how long she took to call them?