HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Windows 10 upgrade deadline approaching - will you upgrade?

So apparently the Windows 10 free upgrade offer expires on July 29 (which kind of snuck up on me, honestly).

I'm still kind of iffy on whether or not I'll upgrade, if only because if I do, I'm afraid if I have a failure to boot situation down the road, I may not be able to restore Windows 10 without a disc. Which then I'd have to go out and, y'know, actually buy it anyhow.

But I'm leaning towards doing it; I'll just make the recovery disc and hope for the best, especially if more and more games are becoming Windows 10-only and such.

What about you? Have you made the upgrade yet (if you have a PC)? Or are you planning to do so if you haven't yet?

I haven't and won't. The Windows 10 exclusive games I want (basically just Killer Instinct, which I'm not sure I could even run) are outweighed by the sheer number of games that seem to have issues running on Windows 10 specifically. I'd rather the games I already have actually, you know, work right than have access to new ones. Plus there's the supposed privacy issues with Win10, so that's another big turnoff as well.

Also, Win10 doesn't have Windows Movie Maker, which is how I make YouTube Poops, so of course keeping Win7 is incredibly important for that reason. :P

I got Windows 10 at the start it's great and I have zero problems. I really get tired of the cavemen who refuse to update and complain. All these privacy issues you talk about are silly. When you first run Windows 10 go into privacy settings and go down the list and turn everything off it only takes a few seconds of your time so stop crying.

I have had no issues with games not working on Windows 10 and everyone has been very good at updating support so again this is a silly thing to be worried about. I still enjoy my Classic Doom and all other new and old games.

Windows movie maker was never any good anyway :P I posted a video editor a while back that the guys in hollywood use to make movies that's free to use. If you want something more simple and basic tons of other free things exist like Avidemux that I used for my Oceanhorn videos on youtube.

Only thing I can say is make sure your computer is ready for Windows 10 before you upgrade. Check to see if your motherboard and other parts support Windows 10.

Oh wow, it almost has been a year? At this point I doubt I will. I'm not super computer savy and I don't want to do something stupid and wipe my computer clean. It'll be a lot of work and time I need to rework stuff. I know Rex hasn't have a problem but with my luck I might.

My laptop crashed last time I tried updating it to Windows 10. It won't even update normally and sometimes I get pop ups saying I should update. I'm sorry I can't because it crashes so stop giving me notifications lol. So this is a no. I'll prob get Windows 10 maybe already preloaded on new laptop or something. 

Meh, I'm still iffy on Windows 10, but I decided to do the upgrade anyway (which was a royal pain in the ass). Windows 7 support ends in 4 years and I'm not planning on upgrading my hardware by then, plus I mostly use Linux anyway lol.

After I tried the various methods of upgrading with continual failure, I had to do some research and find a direct link to the ISO and made a bootable USB and then everything was fine.

Meh, I'm still iffy on Windows 10, but I decided to do the upgrade anyway (which was a royal pain in the ass). Windows 7 support ends in 4 years and I'm not planning on upgrading my hardware by then, plus I mostly use Linux anyway lol.

After I tried the various methods of upgrading with continual failure, I had to do some research and find a direct link to the ISO and made a bootable USB and then everything was fine.

Oh snap, any chance you can share a link to the ISO? Would like to make a bootable disc or USB myself.

Also another tip I can give is when you update to Windows 10 you will need to get updated Windows 10 drivers for all your stuff. I was confused when I updated and my 7.1.2 speakers stopped working only giving me 2.0 and internet slowed to a crawl and died. Once I figured out I needed new drivers everything was fine.

So you might want to find those drivers before you update and store them on a usb drive or something so they are ready to go. Maybe that's only if you use wireless net like me and need new wireless drivers. A handy tool I use Is DriverUpdate that scans your PC and finds new drivers for everything and installs them.

• Like 1