HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Watchu' Buyin' August 2016 Edition

If memory serves correctly, this actually seems like one of the better August release months in recent history.

And of course, No Man's Sky is probably the biggest game coming out, along with the new Deus Ex and Batman Telltale Series.

Here's a look at the biggest games coming out below:

Aug 2

• Abzu
  • Batman: The Telltale Series Episode 1

Aug 5

• Little King's Story (Steam)

Aug 9

• No Man's Sky

Aug 16

• Bound (PS4)
  • Grow Up (PC, PS4, XB1)

Aug 19

• Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS)
  • Style Savvy: Fashion Forward (3DS)

Aug 23

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • King of Fighters XIV
  • Madden NFL 17

Aug 30

• God Eater 2: Rage Burst
  • Resident Evil 4
  • World of Warcraft: Legion

Aug 31

• Killer Instinct: Season 3

What I'm buyin'

I'm about... 80% certain I'll get No Man's Sky. I was having last minute doubts about it, but the day one patch stuff sounds pretty promising, so I'll probably give it a go. Also, I'm hearing surprisingly positive things about Metroid Prime: Federation Force, so I'll probably pick that one up as well!

SO...

Whatchu' buyin' this month? :D

...I don't think you even need to ask. :P

Other than the obvious, there are certainly a few things I'd like to play, but probably won't end up actually getting this month. Stuff like the Steam ports of  Little King's Story and Conception II, as well as Telltale Batman, Bound, and KOFXIV. Brut@l and the Attack on Titan game look neat, but I'll need to read reviews to decide if I care.

I pre-ordered Abzu and Bound through the PSN PLAY promotion. Still on the fence about No Man's Sky. I'd probably enjoy it but with a backlog like mine, I should really play games I already own. Especially because that will get a lot deeper once PSVR gets here in October.

...I don't think you even need to ask. :P

Other than the obvious, there are certainly a few things I'd like to play, but probably won't end up actually getting this month. Stuff like the Steam ports of  Little King's Story and Conception II, as well as Telltale Batman, Bound, and KOFXIV. Brut@l and the Attack on Titan game look neat, but I'll need to read reviews to decide if I care.

D'oh, I forgot to add Attack on Titan to that list. That's the one that Omega Force developed, right?

I pre-ordered Abzu and Bound through the PSN PLAY promotion. Still on the fence about No Man's Sky. I'd probably enjoy it but with a backlog like mine, I should really play games I already own. Especially because that will get a lot deeper once PSVR gets here in October.

I'm kicking myself repeatedly for missing out on that Play Promotion pre-order for Abzu. Was going to wait for reviews first, but I completely forgot to preorder after that and missed out on the savings. Ah well, it's only $4, I guess.

Yeah, I'm really trying to lower my expectations about No Man's Sky. People like to get hyped about it what it can be, but they forget that the dev team is only 16 people strong. If it does manage to live up to the hype, though, that'll be a hell of an achievement for such a small team. o_o

D'oh, I forgot to add Attack on Titan to that list. That's the one that Omega Force developed, right?

Yup, which is the only reason I care about it since I've never seen the show. I just like playing Musou games and this basically looks like one, just with giant enemies (which have been in other ones, but not many) and Spider-Man mechanics. xD

I wanted to do the PSN Play Promotion with Abzu and Bound, but didn't have PSN credit at the time. Bound had a price glitch that was $9.99 when it was revealed as preordered. Sadly I didn't jump on it in time before it was fixed.

Anyways I didn't realize Deus Ex is already coming out this month. So many good games I want to get. I'd def get No Man's Sky if I have a job and money. Gotta wait til Black Friday for these to drop in price.

I'm hoping NMS isn't overhyped as well. Been hearing a lot of leaked things that's concerning. 

This is a pretty good month. I'm not buying anything as always. But I am excited for Batman and Deus Ex. I didn't even know we had another game for it and I'm sure it'll be as good. I still need to play the original Deus Ex. But I loved Human Revolution. I'm sure a lot of people will be picking up No Man Sky. Hoping that will actually be good. Metroid Prime shouldn't be bad either.

Is this another port of RE4? As many ports as they have, I think I still don't have a single version of it.

This is a pretty good month. I'm not buying anything as always. But I am excited for Batman and Deus Ex. I didn't even know we had another game for it and I'm sure it'll be as good. I still need to play the original Deus Ex. But I loved Human Revolution. I'm sure a lot of people will be picking up No Man Sky. Hoping that will actually be good. Metroid Prime shouldn't be bad either.

Is this another port of RE4? As many ports as they have, I think I still don't have a single version of it.

I still need to play Human Revolution! Now I'm wondering if it came to PS Plus at one point?

And yeah, RE4 is a remastered port for current-gen consoles.

I still need to play Human Revolution! Now I'm wondering if it came to PS Plus at one point?

And yeah, RE4 is a remastered port for current-gen consoles.

You need to. I can't compare it to Deus Ex, but I loved Human Revolution. And apparently they had a character from Deus Ex in it too. The ending is amazing and you have to choose a path which is very interesting.

• Like 1

I already bought Abzu and pre-ordered Bound. I plan to get God Eater 2 on Vita, but since that is digital only I'll have to wait until it appears. Other than that, I definitely plan to play Mankind Divided though I'm not sure if I want to play it right away based on how I was rather mixed on certain aspects of Human Revelation (I liked the themes and setting, but thought Adam Jensen was a real boring dude, for example....and he's back in the lead role. Also, those bosses were the worst, I don't care what they did with a director's cut years later.).

I still can't decide if I care about No Man's Sky, but I think it's because Minecraft-ish survival games aren't really my thing even if you sci-fi them up. It doesn't feel like it has take over the world yet, so I might not feel obligated to.

The ending is amazing and you have to choose a path which is very interesting.

I dunno, man, it's basically Mass Effect 3's ending in which you flip like 1 of 3 switches and get some take it or leave it 2 minute spiel about the state of the world. (Though, Human Revelation is not as insulting as Mass Effect 3's...)

I still can't decide if I care about No Man's Sky, but I think it's because Minecraft-ish survival games aren't really my thing even if you sci-fi them up. It doesn't feel like it has take over the world yet, so I might not feel obligated to.

Yeah, you started playing Overwatch because it started to take over the world, didn't you? :P

I already bought Abzu and pre-ordered Bound. I plan to get God Eater 2 on Vita, but since that is digital only I'll have to wait until it appears. Other than that, I definitely plan to play Mankind Divided though I'm not sure if I want to play it right away based on how I was rather mixed on certain aspects of Human Revelation (I liked the themes and setting, but thought Adam Jensen was a real boring dude, for example....and he's back in the lead role. Also, those bosses were the worst, I don't care what they did with a director's cut years later.).

I dunno, man, it's basically Mass Effect 3's ending in which you flip like 1 of 3 switches and get some take it or leave it 2 minute spiel about the state of the world. (Though, Human Revelation is not as insulting as Mass Effect 3's...)

The bosses was easy in Human Revolution mainly because you could just get this one item and make yourself pretty OP against all AI. I went the stealth mode though which made the game a lot harder. I disagree, I think Jessen wasn't a boring character. Again, I can't compare him to the leading guy in Deus Ex, which is considered to be one of the best game. I thought the ending was good (never played ME 3 or any ME). I understand you just kind of watch what happens to the world (and there are just 3 clips of what ends up happening) and in a sense there isn't anything special. But I like the fact that you can choose it base on your decision and how you would think you would decide to end it there. Not like, just pick a door or I went this certain way through the game so I get this ending. But at the end, at least it was your decision.

Yeah, you started playing Overwatch because it started to take over the world, didn't you? :P

Nah, it was entirely because of randomly playing the open beta at the last minute. But had I not played it I wonder if I would've given it a chance (or if I would've just thought it was like another Team Fortress 2, but more people going crazy over "waifus". I remember talking to Wildcard months before launch and told him that I couldn't care less about it, basically.). I think I even peer pressured Venom into getting it, and he's like the Overwatch guy of GP now.

The bosses was easy in Human Revolution mainly because you could just get this one item and make yourself pretty OP against all AI. I went the stealth mode though which made the game a lot harder. I disagree, I think Jessen wasn't a boring character. Again, I can't compare him to the leading guy in Deus Ex, which is considered to be one of the best game. I thought the ending was good (never played ME 3 or any ME). I understand you just kind of watch what happens to the world (and there are just 3 clips of what ends up happening) and in a sense there isn't anything special. But I like the fact that you can choose it base on your decision and how you would think you would decide to end it there. Not like, just pick a door or I went this certain way through the game so I get this ending. But at the end, at least it was your decision.

I tried to play through stealth as well. I remember HATING the 1st boss in particular because the game decided it was fair to checkpoint the fight as the boss was guaranteed to hurt me for most of my health. After that 1st boss I learned that it complete stealth runs were probably just going to be suffering (I found the ones after easy, but the 1st fight gave me a lot of difficulty because of how it auto-saved and I had no real weapons.). But either way, I viewed the endings as literally pulling switches and having people tell you why you should (...because it was.) even if the themes behind some were interesting.

I tried to play through stealth as well. I remember HATING the 1st boss in particular because the game decided it was fair to checkpoint the fight as the boss was guaranteed to hurt me for most of my health. After that 1st boss I learned that it complete stealth runs were probably just going to be suffering (I found the ones after easy, but the 1st fight gave me a lot of difficulty because of how it auto-saved and I had no real weapons.). But either way, I viewed the endings as literally pulling switches and having people tell you why you should (...because it was.) even if the themes behind some were interesting.

It has been awhile and I, to be honest, don't remember much. Can't remember the first boss fight. I remember my ending choice and what it did with Adam. But I don't remember exactly what that left humanity as. I think in the beginning I killed someone before the real game began and so it didn't give me my stealth achievement :(. But I can agree that you are pulling a switch. I think that is literally what you did. I think I heard Deus Ex did that as well, or you had like 20 minutes before the ending where how you did what led up to that ending. But I guess with the sequel to Human Revolution they had to pick one switch and the other 2 doesn't matter anymore.