HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Topic of the week: What's next for Hello Games after No Man's Sky?

no-mans-sky-large-hero-02-ps4-eu-16jun15

Hopefully everyone's been enjoying No Man's Sky for a little bit now that it's officially been out for a few hours (and even longer if you got an early version from a store that broke street date).

But with all the hoopla and hype surrounding No Man's Sky, here's an interesting question for you: Where the heck does Hello Games go from here?

What exactly do they do for their next game that will live up to or exceed the level of ambition they've shown with NMS? The obvious idea is that they go with No Man's Sky 2, but that could be years (possibly 5+ away), plus I'm not really that into the idea of them doing another entry that soon.

They could do Joe Danger 3, but it goes without saying that JD3 would be nowhere close to the ambition of NMS and would thus be seeing as a disappointing next project. So, what can they do?

I fielded this question on Twitter last night and got some interesting replies. One person mentioned that it might be best for them to create at least two teams: one that would continue to crank out content for No Man's Sky and eventually work on its sequel, and a new dev team that would focus on smaller experiences. Theoretically, the smaller experiences could be art games similar to what thatgamecompany did with Journey or Giant Squid with Abzu, thus garnering a lot of critical praise. They could also work on No Man's Sky spin-off games that focus on different aspects of that universe; possibly a puzzle-themed NMS spin-off, for example.

Honestly, I think this would be a great approach as it would allow them to create new games but also focus on expanding what will no doubt be their biggest (and most impressive) cash cow: No Man's Sky. Still, they could possibly create another entirely new AAA indie experience, though I'm not sure what it would be.

Where do you think Hello Games will go from here? Do you think they'll make No Man's Sky their core project from now on, or do you think there's room for other games as well?

No matter how they want to do it, they should have at least one team dedicated to NMS. This is a big game and a game that will and seems to require constant updates and fixing if anything ever went wrong. With such ambition it will require a team to watch over it. But how has the game been received so far? Is it doing as well as they are expecting? If it isn't then they probably shouldn't even consider NMS 2.

I think they should make a sequel called Yes Man's Sky starring Jim Carey or/and Daniel Bryan for an awesome space adventure. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Anyways I think their next game will probably a few indie titles like they did with Joe Danger. They should take a break after that big development in NMS. Tough if they want to keep the momentum going they could do a medium size game. For now they should enjoy the glorious release and take it easy for a while. ~Victorious by Panic! At the Disco song plays~ 

• Like 1

I heard the game is buggy? Saw a report that 2 players was standing at the exact spot and they didn't even see each other. So apparently the MP aspect isn't really MP.

Could Hello Games be on their way to becoming a Sony first party studio?

If so, the sky's the limit for them. No Man's Sky could become a platform. They could implement their procedural generation formula into a dialogue system (which is basically what Ken Levine is trying to do). They could take on any of the PlayStation IP that are sitting on the bench. 

Can't wait to see!