HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

PS4 Slim leaked (probably?)

http://kotaku.com/apparent-ps4-slim-leaks-on-auction-site-1785564272

In case you missed it, it appears that the PS4 Slim has leaked ahead of its September announcement alongside PS4 Neo.

wykdg6ueefntrfq2quav.jpg

Apparently it's from a British seller who claims to have gotten one early somehow, so its authenticity is in question. If it IS fake, then it's a pretty impressive one, I'll say.

It's said to be going for 295 pounds in the UK, which equates to $386.88 in the US (which will either be rounded up to $400 or rounded down to $350, I'm guessing) and will compete directly with Xbox S.

If it's real, we'll get the official word on it probably at Sony's press event on September 7 where they'll officially announce the PS4 Neo as well.

Anyhow, what do you guys think? Real or not? And are you interested in getting one if so?

It barely looks any different from the regular model, just maybe they trimmed the top half of the system in, er, half. The actual buttons on the system are nice though, better than the barely-there little touch thingies on the current model. Otherwise there's not much to say about it.

Assuming it's real in the first place, anyway. Either way there's not much reason to get one since I have the "phat" model. (that worked better for PS3 because the OG model was a fat bastard)

So you get both a slim and a Neo. So is the Neo suppose to compete with Scorpio? What is the point again with both versions? I am assuming the Neo will still be more powerful? I hope this is a fake since we never heard anything about Sony doing a slim version of the PS4. At least I don't recall seeing any news. I saw a post on this last night comparing the PS4 and the slim, well it was a picture of the slim on top of the PS4. I probably would go with a Neo. Or should I wait for the slim Neo?

And this model looks freaking ugly. At least be like MS and make the slim look much nicer.

The look reminds me of that one version of slim PS3 because of the color and having buttons. Like the Symbiote said it's no different. Also to me it looks like a 3D printed design of a slim PS3. I need more pictures for evidence. Hopefully Peter Parker will get some good ones soon.

I won't be getting the new models since the one I have is currently good and plus I'm still feeling the shock and happiness of getting it for $240 when it's still pricey as heck lol.

It's said to be going for 295 pounds in the UK

Lol Jason when I read that my face made a shocking emotion. I though woah that's the heaviest console I've ever heard/seen. It's like the PS4 is representing the phat PS3 in a way lol.

Great move for Sony.

Now, consumers won't have to choose between the seemingly dated standard PS4 and the new PS4 Neo. The choice will be between the new, more affordable PS4 Slim and the new, more powerful PS4 Neo. 

The options are more clear as to what you're getting and neither feels like you're being shortchanged. 

I like car metaphors so I'll go with that. It looked like they would be selling a 2013 Civic and a 2016 Civic but now they'll be selling a 2016 Civic S and a 2016 Civic SX. The S is the base model with an all new body type, the SX has the bells and whistles (V6, spoiler, etc) but costs a bit more. Two new cars that target different consumers. 

• Like 1

I like car metaphors so I'll go with that. It looked like they would be selling a 2013 Civic and a 2016 Civic but now they'll be selling a 2016 Civic S and a 2016 Civic SX. The S is the base model with an all new body type, the SX has the bells and whistles (V6, spoiler, etc) but costs a bit more. Two new cars that target different consumers. 

We don't know any of the spec yet from what I am seeing. If it is true and it just is a slim version that is cheaper then even being a new model makes it not worth it. Then this isn't really a 2016 Civic S but more like a 2016 mini Civic right? I hope if the slim is true, they at least did what MS did and put in a bigger HDD. And please make the design a bit nicer too.

It's ugly, I wonder if it is real, will it offer 4K streaming and 4K Blu-Ray player. If not, the X1 S is much more appealing.

It's ugly, I wonder if it is real, will it offer 4K streaming and 4K Blu-Ray player. If not, the X1 S is much more appealing.

Are you thinking of getting the X1 S then (if you haven't already)? Or are you just going to wait for Scorpio?

Are you thinking of getting the X1 S then (if you haven't already)? Or are you just going to wait for Scorpio?

Wait for Scorpio if you already have an X1. X1 S should only be for those who doesn't have an X1 yet. Unless you can flip your X1 and make good money from it. I really really want an X1 S but at this point it would just be wasting money which I prefer not to do right now.

I actually think it looks better than the fat one. Are you guys upgrading (to Neo i mean)? I don't know if i should, i can't see the games i like the most being that much better on Neo, but idk

I actually think it looks better than the fat one. Are you guys upgrading (to Neo i mean)? I don't know if i should, i can't see the games i like the most being that much better on Neo, but idk

I'd wait till Sony's press conference in September just to make sure (about the Neo). It may or may not be worth waiting for, depending on what you're hoping from it. In either case, it doesn't hurt to wait just a little bit longer so you can get the full scoop before deciding.

I'd wait till Sony's press conference in September just to make sure (about the Neo). It may or may not be worth waiting for, depending on what you're hoping from it. In either case, it doesn't hurt to wait just a little bit longer so you can get the full scoop before deciding.

Yea, I agree with Jason. But the Neo suppose to be the upgrade. And unless they go ahead and announce PS5, I think most of us will get a Neo if we haven't already gotten a PS4.

I did end up getting the X1 Slim, but the decision had less to do with gaming and more about the fact I was wanting a 4K Blu-Ray player and 4K streaming for Netflix and Amazon. I will consider both the Scorpio and Neo once I know more, including price. I know that upscaling to 4K isn't the same as native 4K but it looks great regardless. I also always turn off upscaling in favor of game mode when playing multiplayer, it seems to lag horribly otherwise.

I did end up getting the X1 Slim, but the decision had less to do with gaming and more about the fact I was wanting a 4K Blu-Ray player and 4K streaming for Netflix and Amazon. I will consider both the Scorpio and Neo once I know more, including price. I know that upscaling to 4K isn't the same as native 4K but it looks great regardless. I also always turn off upscaling in favor of game mode when playing multiplayer, it seems to lag horribly otherwise.

Do we even have 4k movies and tv shows yet?

Do we even have 4k movies and tv shows yet?

Yes, both Netflix and Amazon Prime now has shows / movies in 4K, and I just ordered a 4K blu-Ray of Deadpool from Amazon.

Yes, both Netflix and Amazon Prime now has shows / movies in 4K, and I just ordered a 4K blu-Ray of Deadpool from Amazon.

But you also need a 4k tv as well right?

http://www.gamesradar.com/see-the-oddly-pretty-insides-of-a-ps4-slim-with-this-teardown-video/?utm_content=buffered84c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

I can't remember if this is the same link I saw last night. But if this is true I don't think the spec will be good.