HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Topic of the week: Should you be able to get a refund after playing a game for 50 hours?

So, if you guys missed it, ex-Sony executive Shahid Kamal Ahmad tweeted yesterday that "if you're getting a refund for a game after playing it for 50 hours, you're a thief." Obviously this sparked a lot of controversy and outrage, to the point that some people were trying to dox him shortly after.

My take on this is that if a game is clearly broken from the start so much that it's unplayable or at least unenjoyable to the player, they're entitled to a refund. The blame for the broken game rests with the developer (and more importantly, the publisher), and many people seem to have had problems with the crashing and such in NMS.

Personally, I had no such issues aside from one crash early on, so I'm not entirely sure how widespread these issues actually were. It sounds like the PC version was a lot worse off, so I'm sure some people who did have lots of problems got refunds like they should have (if they wanted it).

But there are also reports of people who have played the game 50 hours or more who are also getting refunds. The issue here being that if you play a game for that long, are you really actually not enjoying it? That isn't to say that absolutely no one would do that, but I would say very few would put many hours into something they're clearly not enjoying (or sees value in), meaning that most anyone who plays over 50 hours into something is clearly getting some sort of value out of it. In this case, I absolutely agree with Shahid that those people could be likened to thieves. Of course, that's in a moral sense; obviously the refunds seem to be legit since Sony, Valve, and even certain retail stores are extending the offer, but for those people who played over 50 hours, it could be seeing as taking advantage of Hello Games and Sony.

In any case, just to recap: my thoughts are that broken = refund, yes; but something like over 50 hours I would say no, they're not entitled to a refund at that point.

What do you guys think? There's a lot of points to consider, so I'd be interested to hear what your guys' thoughts are on this.

So what game is this all about? I think that if you played 50 hours you shouldn't get refunded. That's like saying you finished 3/4 a bottle of milk and come back and say that it is stale and you want refunds. Or you ate the whole chicken but left a thigh and said it was too dry so you want your money back. I can go on and on. Like Jason mentioned, most people won't play a game for 50 hours if they don't like it. So do us all a favor and stop trying to cheat the system. You can refund an item all you want but make sure it is still brand new and you have a receipt. By the way, you are buying a product and it isn't guaranteed that you will enjoy the product no matter how much money you pay for it. It is part of the risk you take in buying a product. This is why there are reviews, test drives (for cars), demo for games, demo for racquets, etc. I don't even know why this is a controversy in the first place.

• Like 1

Yup pretty much what Cobra said. You bought the game for a reason. If you're mad then you should've waited for reviews for results or be a cheap ass gamer and wait for a price drop.

Oh also Cobra the game is about No Man's Sky. In summary the game felt over hyped, but pretty much mixed reviews in the bag. It depends on how you play the game. I've seen positive buzz from my friends, Jason, I think Venom, Laddie, and other people on twitter.

This is just stupid. Like Jason said if the game is broken you can ask for a refund from the start. If you play the game for 50+ hours then you no longer have the right to ask for a refund. It's like shopping on Amazon if you buy something you have a set time limit that you can send it back for a refund but after that it's yours to keep.

Like Cobra said games, movies or whatever are not guaranteed so just because it didn't live up to the hype train does not give you the right to ask for your money back. I played Transformers Devastation by crummy Platinum games and it didn't live up to the hype I had for it but I finished the game so I had no reason to ask for a refund as other people did.

Honestly ever since Steam enabled refunds people have been going overboard and trying to find any reason they can to refund games. It's getting kinda dumb at this point.

Oh also Cobra the game is about No Man's Sky. In summary the game felt over hyped, but pretty much mixed reviews in the bag. It depends on how you play the game. I've seen positive buzz from my friends, Jason, I think Venom, Laddie, and other people on twitter.

Yeah, I plan to write up a piece about my thoughts on it. Was going to do a review, but No Man's Sky is so different that I think I'll just do an opinion piece in the end (with no score or anything).

Honestly ever since Steam enabled refunds people have been going overboard and trying to find any reason they can to refund games. It's getting kinda dumb at this point.

It's amazing to me that Steam doesn't really ask any questions regarding refunds; they should at least have some guidelines in place that prevent people from gaming the system (no pun intended!) in order to play games for free.

I heard the game is glitchy and a lot of user base have dropped but one article mentioned that was normal. I figured the game would be over hyped. I actually didn't follow much of the game outside of hearing it on GP. I just remember Jason being excited for it when it got closer to release time. I'm not surprised this happened or at least some kind of controversy coming out of this. Seems like a game that was hyped up so much and didn't delivered would fittingly have some kind of controversy to it haha. I hope they don't give it. Just patch up the game and make it better. Especially if you already put 50 hours plus into the game, wouldn't you want to see more for your money by seeing the developer actually care about feedbacks and wanting to make the game better. I know I would.

I don't think numbers of hours easy is the best way to determine, but playing a game for 50 hours and then asking for a refund is too much.  But I think I read somewhere about context being important as well.  If a game came out and said our game is a 500 hour game, and you play 1/10 of that and say, nope this game is not worth it maybe??? Although this isn't the case with NML.

There isn't a hard number because some games are 6 hours long.  So yeah I agree with bugs, and a game being unplayable, but a game not being enjoyable is different.  A game not delivering on a promise?  False advertisement?  Well case by case ^^

I don't agree with refunds! If a game is broke at launch or shortly after and a fix can't be issued in a reasonable amount of time, perhaps, but I think it's appropriate to give the developers a bit of time to fix it. I'm really confused as to what people expected from No Man's Sky. I watched this game closely since it was announced up until it released, and I had no clear cut idea what it was about. I would say the game delivered what it promised, it's a space exploration game, with the heart of a survival game wrapped up in georgeous graphics. I enjoy it, and aside from a few glitches, I had no major performance issues. Perhaps the game is just a bit too ambitious for today's gamer, the entitled generation!

I have similar feelings about the backlash against Titanfall 2 after its tech test. You know, there's many changes from the first game that I'm not particularly happy with, but I respect Respawn for trying new things, and I'll wait for the full game release before passing my final judgement. Back to that entitled gamer thing, no one looks at the bigger picture, it's all about what "I" want in a game. Also, constructive criticism is a lost art.

• Like 1

I don't think numbers of hours easy is the best way to determine, but playing a game for 50 hours and then asking for a refund is too much.  But I think I read somewhere about context being important as well.  If a game came out and said our game is a 500 hour game, and you play 1/10 of that and say, nope this game is not worth it maybe??? Although this isn't the case with NML.

You make a good point on how it can all be relative with the amount of hours. But even if a game is like skyrim or Witcher 3, where you could pour in hours and hours and still not be done with it, 50 hours is a lot. Since most games that can take hundreds of hours can still be beaten within a reasonable time. All those extra hours are just side quests and grinding that waste time. Nothing more to add to the game outside of wanting to see all content and saying "I beat all the game."

Destiny for example is a game that I can and have put in hours upon hours but the main storyline can probably be beaten in half a day. Storyline is pure junk too but I never asked for my money back.