HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

PS4 Pro: Will you buy one?

So yesterday Sony pulled back the curtains on the formerly-codenamed PS4 Neo and revealed that it's called PS4 Pro and highlighted that it's essentially everything the leaks made it out to be -- which is more or less an enhanced PS4 that'll make certain games look better (and in some cases run more smoothly? Steve, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Personally, I'm just going to stick with my launch PS4 for now. I don't own a 4K TV, so I don't see much of an advantage in upgrading, although I probably would get it if my PS4 broke for some reason. It seems others online weren't happy with the press conference overall (especially the guys at Kinda Funny) and see the whole thing as unnecessary, especially if the PS5 is announced in a year or two.

In any case, what do you guys make of it? Is it everything you wanted from the press conference, or did it leave you disappointed?

Well, I already know I'm getting this since I don't have a PS4 yet. It would suck though that once I get this they already planning on a PS5 to combat Scorpio. What is up with this gen going by so fast?

Even if my ps4 were to die, I still would probably just end up picking up a slim.

No 4K TVs in the house, and seeing how i bought my newest TV a year ago, unlikely in the near future.

I would probably get this if I didn't get my PS4 cheap few months ago. Honestly I'm fine with my current PS4. Regular HD is fine with me. Having one bad eye maybe having that not being bad would make me see HD super lol. Really though regular PS4 is fine where it's at. Only thing you need to do yourself is getting a bigger HDD.

Also you still gotta get a 4K tv along with it. I estimate at least $1200 or more spent getting PS4 Pro and 4Ktv. I'd get this if my PS4 died and had to get a new one.

Like Cobra said for those who don't have a PS4 this is a good buy. I haven't got a XB1 yet so definitely getting their Pro/Slim version since I haven't jumped on yet.

Nope.  I'd rather have a themed old version than this one.  As of right now, I have little-to-no interest in PSVR stuff... so we shall see.

Nope, for a few reasons. Obviously there's already owning a PS4, and Sony's little meeting yesterday was clearly marketed at people who don't own PS4s so there was nothing on why current owners should pick one up. Besides that there's the fact that I don't have a 4K TV and don't care about upgrading, I don't care about VR, and I don't care about pretty graphics, which Sony seems to think is the only selling point based on yesterday's stream. To summarize, I just don't care. :P

If my PS4 did break down and I needed to get another one, I'd probably just get a Slim, cuz, you know, cheaper. xD

As far as I understand, that's correct Jason.

The reaction by Kinda Funny Games (with the exception of Tim Gettys who actually shined in his analysis) was extremely tone deaf.

Here's my reaction from the PlayStation LifeStyle Now Loading article:

"My initial reaction to PlayStation Pro was disappointment. The hardware isn't impressive and I don't see any reason to upgrade myself. It is simply a novelty for PlayStation fans with 4K TVs.

After further consideration though, I honestly feel relieved. Sony didn't tremendously fracture their audience, they didn't shortchange the many PS4 owners that already exist, demoing games in the future won't lead to massive conspiracy theories about how the game runs on standard PS4. The console market isn't much different now than it was this morning.

In a weird kind of way, this is exactly what console gamers wanted. No massive leap or change. Put your pitchforks away until the Scorpio drops next year."
  • Like 1

Nah, i'll pass. Not interested in the slightest in any of the games that will take advantage of this. We'll see what happens in a few years though.

The reaction by Kinda Funny Games (with the exception of Tim Gettys who actually shined in his analysis) was extremely tone deaf.

I was actually surprised that Colin didn't really understand why Sony felt compelled to put out the PS4 Pro. There've been numerous interviews from Shuhei over the last year or two where he discusses how the industry is moving towards more iterative consoles, so it makes sense that Sony would try to get in on it as soon as they can (and doubly so if MS was looking to capitalize on it as well).

Here's my reaction from the PlayStation LifeStyle Now Loading article:

"My initial reaction to PlayStation Pro was disappointment. The hardware isn't impressive and I don't see any reason to upgrade myself. It is simply a novelty for PlayStation fans with 4K TVs.

After further consideration though, I honestly feel relieved. Sony didn't tremendously fracture their audience, they didn't shortchange the many PS4 owners that already exist, demoing games in the future won't lead to massive conspiracy theories about how the game runs on standard PS4. The console market isn't much different now than it was this morning.

Yeah, things could have been much worse, especially if they announced PS4 Pro-only games. I think it was wise to make it what it is, being a console for people who want higher specs and visual fidelity and have the means to run it.

I was waiting for this to come out so I'll be getting it for awesome 4K gaming and VR. I don't have a PS4 so I can skip the outdated low resolution model and grab the 4K pro. I'm waiting for the new super powered Xbone to come out after the slim model.