HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Steam no longer including reviews from games activated by keys

https://techraptor.net/content/steam-score-will-no-longer-include-reviews-activated-product-keys

Dunno if you guys had heard yet, but Steam is no longer including reviews activated by keys (which would include both review codes and keys that come from bundles and the like). This means that the only reviews for Steam games will now be by those who purchased the game directly on the Steam website or client.

I guess this is to help crack down on unfair reviews and the like, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Granted, I've never really given too much credence to Steam reviews, especially since most people seem to leave good reviews if the game plays all right. Like Gaiages once said, if a Steam game has negative reviews, it's usually because it's extremely buggy or doesn't play well; otherwise, most legit games (made from non-amateur developers) generally will get positive reviews if everything runs well, despite how the gameplay is.

In any case, I'm not too affected by this since I never left reviews on Steam (or even looked at others'), but this should have an interesting effect on the scores in the future.

What do you guys think? Is Valve going about this the wrong way? Or do you think they're making the right move by eliminating reviews from games activated by keys?

I guess they can do however they like if they want their reviews to be more "accurate." Reviews are always subjective anyways even if it is from expert. It is all about your opinions. I never really take reviews to be my end all. I prefer word of mouth. If a friend recommends it or say through GP, I usually would try to play the game. Or obviously if it is considered to be one of the all time greats then I must eventually play it just to see it for myself. But to be honest, I'm pretty easy going with games. Takes a lot for me to dislike a game. Maybe this move will stop dev from handing out free keys all the time. Maybe that is what they want so people would buy the game and they will make more money instead of getting it for free.

Kind of a bummer that they're just eliminating the ability altogether.  I purchase a lot of my steam games from sales outside of steam (GMG) and not that I even review them, but it would be nice to have the ability.

If anything they should have a "Verified" review compiling all reviews by those who have purchased the game from steam, and an "All Reviews" which shows verified plus all other reviews from people who have used a key/people leaving a review.

Kind of a bummer that they're just eliminating the ability altogether.  I purchase a lot of my steam games from sales outside of steam (GMG) and not that I even review them, but it would be nice to have the ability.

If anything they should have a "Verified" review compiling all reviews by those who have purchased the game from steam, and an "All Reviews" which shows verified plus all other reviews from people who have used a key/people leaving a review.

Actually, that's basically what they're doing. People who activated the game from keys can still leave reviews, and those reviews are displayed separately (unless you set it to display all reviews) but those just don't count towards a game's positive or negative overall rating.

It kinda makes sense, as mentioned in the article, a lot of...less than savory developers will give out free keys in exchange for positive reviews, so kicking those out of a game's overall rating is sure to help. On more than one occasion I've seen different reviews that repeat key phrases, as if they're written by bots or perhaps users that have some script to work with. On the other hand, there are tons of people who buy their games elsewhere who may legitimately want people to have a good idea of a game's strengths and weaknesses that won't really have much of a say unless people actually read their reviews. Personally, it's starting to seem like the whole Steam user reviews system is a mess, but at the same time there are so many games that don't get "official" reviews that you need some way to know if they're worthwhile or not. I think they should just do away with the overall positive/negative rating and just let the reviews exist in their own little space, so people have to actually read them rather than basing anything on the overall rating.

• Like 1

It kinda makes sense, as mentioned in the article, a lot of...less than savory developers will give out free keys in exchange for positive reviews, so kicking those out of a game's overall rating is sure to help.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of before! I'm sure those developers will probably keep doing that but at least those reviews won't affect the games' overall scores now. Curious to see how much this impacts certain games.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of before! I'm sure those developers will probably keep doing that but at least those reviews won't affect the games' overall scores now. Curious to see how much this impacts certain games.

Dev do that a lot in steamgifts. Giving out free keys from giveaways. Like one giveaway will have 100 keys and or even 50,000 and in the comment they just said please leave a review or if you like leave a review. And I think for the most part people would give good reviews.