HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Crazy: Disney might be buying Twitter

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-26/disney-said-to-be-working-with-adviser-on-potential-twitter-bid

It's too early to say for sure, but Disney could be the new owner of Twitter sometime soon.

If you've kept up with the business end of Twitter, you're likely aware that Twitter has been in financial straits for some time now, and the current management is looking to sell the business. Meanwhile, certain sources are saying that Disney has preparing a bid to buy the company.

Reportedly, this is a play on video distribution, oddly enough.

“It“s a video distribution play,é said James Cakmak, an analyst at Monness Crespi Hardt & Co. “What Disney has to think about is what is its place in a post cord-cutting world. They are investing in technology for distribution -- and this would give them the platform to reach audiences around the world.é

In any event, a Disney-owned Twitter would be interesting, to say the least. The platform has a huge audience to command, so the amount of free advertising they'd get for their movies would be through the roof.

Also, who knows - maybe they would start charging a regular fee to use it (or offering paid plans)?

What would you think if Disney bought Twitter? Would you still use it if they decided to charge to use it?

Disney is eventually going to own everything and brand their characters onto that brand for promotions and such. I'll still use twitter. Since the twitter bird is blue I can imagine the logo turning into Donald Duck cosplay wearing blue clothing and hat for giggles. Films will have twitter as the communication source as well lol.

I'm waiting for Disney to buy Nintendo so we can get Zelda movies and more. If they make you pay for Twitter I'm out.

I don't use twitter so this doesn't matter to me. But it seems like this would be a good investment for them and can pay off in the promotional department. Definitely wouldn't use twitter if there was a paid plan. Why doesn't twitter just start charging people now to make some money back.

I don't really care who buys it as long as they don't change just, like, everything. Or charge for it. If they charged for Twitter I might actually use (*gasp*) Facebook...but only to bother people about playing Overwatch with me, since that's basically all I use Twitter for. :P Anyway, really any company that buys it stands to have the marketing possibilities pay off, but it'll probably come down to either Disney or Microsoft (another company supposedly interested) since they both basically have infinite money.

Anyway, really any company that buys it stands to have the marketing possibilities pay off, but it'll probably come down to either Disney or Microsoft (another company supposedly interested) since they both basically have infinite money.

Or Apple, Google, or Facebook! FB buying Twitter would pretty much give them a monopoly on social media, haha. xD

Or Apple, Google, or Facebook! FB buying Twitter would pretty much give them a monopoly on social media, haha. xD

FB should buy them out and make it an app inside of FB.

A full paid version of Twitter would push me out.  Having more ads would also push me out, but I'd love to see movie advertisements over the scams, garbage "viral" sponsored tweets, etc that are currently pushed to me.