HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Have you ever cleaned out a PS4 because it was noisy?

The other day I noticed my PS4 was being rather noisy so I started to look up tutorials and videos on cleaning the dust out of it. Now, I'm not necessarily a novice at this since I built my own PC, so cleaning out a PS4 shouldn't be too different given that there are similar parts involved.

Still, the thought of breaking the seal (and thus the warranty) is sort of weighing on me. That, and the fact that I had read that some people who have cleaned their PS4 have had it return to a noisy state not too long after (so is it worth the trouble?).

The biggest thing I'm wondering about is replacing the thermal paste, which I've actually never done on a PC; I'm wary of dealing with the CPU since I worry about static electricity and such (even though I know you can ground yourself to deal with that).

In any event, has anyone ever cleaned out a PS4 (or other console) in order to get it to quiet down? Did you have any trouble doing so, and is it worth it in the end?

I have heard of people cleaning out their PS before. I figured it would be as you have said in the post. It can't be too different from a PC if you know what you are doing. If you are under warranty I might not break the seal and just let it rest for a few day and see if that helps. If not, maybe call Sony and see what are your options. Sending it in might not be worth it and they'll probably just return you a refurbish one.

First time I ever cleaned a console was my first PS2 and I accidently killed it. My fat PS3 does make loud noises too. I was able to open that carefully. I ended up cleaning it while trying to figure out why it can't read disc (still need to replace the disc laser thing). It was a bit taking time since there are lots of screws and stuff. I've never had any problems opening up my 360 consoles besides the red ring of dead which is auto send to Microsoft. So far my PS4 hasn't made any noises since I put it in an open space to get the air in and out. 

First time I ever cleaned a console was my first PS2 and I accidently killed it. My fat PS3 does make loud noises too. I was able to open that carefully. I ended up cleaning it while trying to figure out why it can't read disc (still need to replace the disc laser thing). It was a bit taking time since there are lots of screws and stuff. I've never had any problems opening up my 360 consoles besides the red ring of dead which is auto send to Microsoft. So far my PS4 hasn't made any noises since I put it in an open space to get the air in and out. 

Yea i have opened up a 360 before. It wasn't bad just I didn't have the right tools. Which made the job a lot harder. I cleaned the laser disc in there and it stopped the red ring for a while and then it happened again. Was very annoying.