HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Next Cloverfield film, God Particle coming in 2017

This is probably the most exciting movie news I've heard thus far this year, but apparently the next film in the Cloverfield universe will be coming out next year, and it's called God Particle. Like 10 Cloverfield Lane, it's not a sequel to the first Cloverfield but it's related somehow.

Also, the plot for God Particle sounds super cool.

"After a physics experiment with a large hadron accelerator causes the Earth to seemingly vanish completely, the terrified crew of an orbiting American space station is left floating in the middle of now-even-more-empty space. When a European spacecraft appears on their radar, the Americans must determine whether it“s their salvation, or a harbinger of doom."

ALSO, Daniel Brühl (Zemo from Captain America: Civil War) and David Oyelowo (MLK from Selma) will both star in it.

I still haven't seen 10 Cloverfield Lane (I know, shame on me), but I'm super onboard for this one. What do you guys think of the news?

Sounds neat, but I don't really get why these movies need to be tied in with Cloverfield when they seemingly have nothing to do with it. Cloverfield was a pretty straightforward monster invasion movie, while the others (I haven't seen 10 Cloverfield Lane so I'm going on the trailer) seem more like thrillers with a focus on human drama. Pretty classic case of hastily throwing a familiar name on something for the sake of brand recognition, which I guess is fine, but "AHH GIANT MONSTER ATTACK" seems like a weird coattail to ride in these cases.

But yeah, that aside, the premise sounds intriguing. I'll be on the lookout for a trailer to get a better feel for it.

This is awesome! I'm liking how they're doing different point of views with different films in the same universe. It's like ok this is what's happening while this is happening and that is happening. Kinda like Active Time Event (FFIX reference hehehe).

Also 10 Cloverfield Lane is very thrilling. I've seen it at release and it felt like a thriller the entire film and didn't even think about Cloverfield at all. John Goodman did a fantastic job too. 

Sounds cool. For those of us who have seen 10 Cloverfield lane you can see a connection between the movies so that's cool. I would like to  see a sequel to 10 Cloverfile lane it was pretty cool. Like TK said it's like seeing the story from different groups of people so I can't wait to see what the next movie will hold.

I like the idea of having multiple movies in a single universe.  MCU does it in a in your face kind of way, but some movies are just more loosely based that way.

Ever heard of how all of Tarantino's movies are actually connected?  Cool film theory ^^

I thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was a bastardization of the Cloverfield name. The only relation to the original is through a few minor references and the title.

That said, it was a pretty cool movie. Someone completely spoiled it for me though so maybe that's why I went in a little bitter!