HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Conan O'Brien plays Final Fantasy XV and, well...

Conan O'Brien did another installment of Clueless Gamer segment recently, where he and Elijah Wood (random cameo) took a stab at playing Final Fantasy XV.

The result is pretty funny (as usual), but also actually kind of worrying for the game as well (somewhat).

Take a look below.

Pretty much all of Conan's criticisms were pretty valid if you ask me. Why in the world does the game look so boring and drawn out? Granted, we're looking at it out of context, but a lot of what they showed seemed like it might indicate that there's a lot of filler.

And what's up with that 72-hour fight with the Adamantoise? I'm guessing the guy was exaggerating but I really wouldn't put it past SE to do something like that. :unsure:

What'd you guys think?

• Like 1

Wow... that was brutal but also one of the funniest in a long time.

I can't believe Square Enix would allow this.

Conan is going get crazy hate mail and death threats from the fanboys ^^

I am still a little optimistic about this game, but I haven't actually finished any FF game.

Wow... that was brutal but also one of the funniest in a long time.

I can't believe Square Enix would allow this.

Conan is going get crazy hate mail and death threats from the fanboys ^^

I am still a little optimistic about this game, but I haven't actually finished any FF game.

I think Square Enix is hoping the "any press is good press" mantra proves true, ultimately. Conan is a huge outlet to the general public, so getting their game on there means millions will at least be exposed to it.

As for whether or not Conan's, uh, "negative review"  will actually hurt them? It's hard to say. He does make it out to look like it's a ridiculous game and why would anyone play it, so his message is definitely "not on point" with SE's, I can imagine. If I had to guess, SE Japan is clueless about Conan O'Brien, so it was likely mostly up to their North American PR to decide whether or not it was a good idea to appear on the show with it.

Still, he brings up some interesting points (humorous or not) that do cast the game in a negative light. Whether or not this ultimately damages the game's reception, we'll see (I doubt it, but hey, you never know).

I think just giving a JRPG to any gamer who isnt an RPG fan is going to elicit a similar result.  So giving it to someone who doesn't even really play games and saying enjoy is just destined to fail.

I think just giving a JRPG to any gamer who isnt an RPG fan is going to elicit a similar result.  So giving it to someone who doesn't even really play games and saying enjoy is just destined to fail.

That is a good point, since pretty much every RPG is full of pointless filler and meandering sidequests that are just there for whatever. There's no way to tell if everything he's playing is part of the main questline or if some of it is optional stuff that someone who doesn't want to waste time with doesn't have to.

On the other hand, the game has been in development for like 10 years, you'd think that would be enough time to tighten the pacing, come up with some interesting quests, and make sure nothing in the game feels like it's wasting your time. xD At any rate, I still want to play the game, though with its release right after Black Friday I may end up waiting on it instead of pre-ordering like I was thinking about.

lol that was really funny. Some of the things he brings up does make a good point but mostly it's a guy who is not a gamer so it could be over his head. That 72 hour fight I hope is in game time and/or just a side quest because that just seems stupid.

I enjoyed 7,8,9,12 and the FF7 spin offs but everything else is just boring to me. I got to the final boss of 10 but I really didn't care for the game or have any clue what was even going on so never finished it. I played some of 13 but again I didn't care for the game at all it just looked pretty. So yeah I lost interest in FF a long time ago so I probably wont pick this one up.

Pretty much what Lep said. Conan should know that JRPG games are pretty lengthy and requires a bit of grinding. It can be boring at times and want to proceed with the story. I watched this live last night and it was pretty hilarious despite their negative review. One review shouldn't hurt the game. I'm still going to enjoy FFXV and to me the wait will be worth it as a fan growing up and going through the years of development. Still got my game preordered from Amazon and sticking with it.