HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Is Super Mario Run's $10 price point too high?

If you haven't heard yet, Super Mario Run is slated to release next month on December 15th for $10. The game is free to start and also features three modes that you can try, but to get access to everything, you'll have to pay the one-time fee of $10.

While I'm sure the game will be pretty good, there's been a lot of outcry over whether the price is too high. Honestly, I'm not too sure how the price versus content comparison works out yet, but for three modes and 20-something levels (I think?), that's not terribly bad. There are no micro-transactions like in other games you can play for free or for cheaper (like Rayman Jungle Run), and the price is equal to what people pay for two coffees at starbucks or two combo meals at McDonalds.

USgamer was able to put it a lot better than I did if you want to check out their reasoning on the matter. But at the end of the day, I think people are grousing on the price because the mobile app space has trained people to think that everything should be a dollar or less when most of these developers can't even afford to go on at those prices unless the games sell millions (see Candy Crush etc.).

We'll see what happens, but I'm glad Nintendo is standing their ground here. If there wasn't much content at all, that'd be one thing, but no one would blink an eye at the price if this were on the eShop.

What do you guys think? Is $10 too much?

For me personally? Yes, since I don't really care about it and don't play mobile games much anyway. In general? I dunno. Like you said, most games that are a dollar or two are the big names that sell millions, but this IS a game being made by Nintendo, not some two-bit app maker in his basement, so it's not like they couldn't afford to sell it cheaper. (On the flipside, their name alone also means they can charge more for it, so the whole argument is kinda invalid anyway and I'm not sure why I brought it up :P) Since I don't know how much content is really included in the game it's hard to say if the price is fair or not. Honestly, it's still better than Square-Enix charging $15+ for (sometimes terrible) ports of SNES games, so there's that. It also looks more fun than a typical runner if you're into Mario platforming mechanics already, so if the fun factor is high enough it may justify the price.

I'm F2P on mobile so I'll pass. Never pay for mobile games.