HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

How much do you spending on gaming each year?

Started thinking about this after doing all of my Black Friday shopping, haha.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't buy a whole lot for the first part of this year, and most of my purchases were in the back end. Also, looking at my physical collection, I didn't buy a lot of physical games this year either (possibly 6-7 at most, including a few games that came out a year or more back), which indicates I'm starting to lean towards being a digital buyer now.

In any case, when you include subscriptions like PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold, I believe I fall into the $400-500 a year bracket on game purchases. At least $300-350 is spent on new games that I'm most excited for, with the last $100-150 being spent on Black Friday and other pickup deals.

What about you? Do you spend more or less than that?

• Like 1

Wow, way to get me to be horrified at my own spending habits Jason!

It's safe to say I've spent more this year than you, and I don't feel like this year is really out of the ordinary either so I feel like it's probably pretty ordinary. Hell, a quick tour of my Instagram probably totals what you've spent on gaming/gaming related stuff and that's about half of what I've actually bought...

So let's see, as far as I know these are all the games and gaming related stuff I recall buying in 2016 so far.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney HD Trilogy (was on sale)

Shovel Knight amiibo

Transistor, Bastion, Flower on PS4 and Rainbow Moon on Vita (during a flash sale)

Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition

Twilight Princess HD w/ Wolf Link amiibo

Senran Kagura Estival Versus Endless Summer Editions for both PS4 and Vita

Roy amiibo

Trails of Cold Steel Lionheart Ed. for Vita (late to the party, I know)

Final Fantasy Explorers 

Hyrule Warriors Legends

Odin Sphere Liefthrasir Storybook Edition for PS4

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Special Edition

Zero Time Dilemma for 3DS

Squid Sisters amiibos

Monster Hunter Generations

Corpse Party Back to School Ed. 

Bravely Second End Layer (sadly not the special edition T-T)

Deus Ex Mankind Divided for PS4

Overwatch Origins Ed. for PS4

Pokemon Moon

Gravity Rush Remastered (physical)

Kirby Planet Robobot and a Waddle Dee amiibo

Angry God Beater 2: Hyperbolic Title X for Vita (another sale)

AN XBOX ONE WITH 7 GAMES A FRIEND WAS SELLING

Assorted DLCs and IAP for games including but not limited to Destiny's Rise of Iron expansion and at least $125 on Hearthstone's One Night in Karazhan, Mean Streets of Gadgetzan, and Whispers of the Old Gods sets.

A gross amount spent on Disney Infinity figures and play sets (thankfully all on sale!)

...oh and Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus somewhere in there.

So I guess barring console purchases a good average is upwards of 1k annually on game stuffs? Futz me no wonder I'm always broke.

• Like 1

TOO MUCH! I honestly couldn't tell you how much in a year I spend because I buy so much stuff that I lose track in a month. Just in the last month (partly because of Black Friday and I also got my Xbox One last month) I've spent a few hundred dollars, and I don't even remember what I was buying in, say, January or even like July because I've bought so much more since then that it all kinda runs together. Next year will be the same since I'm sure I'll get a Switch before the year ends, and of course 90% of the games I was looking forward to this year were moved into next year, plus a bunch that were slated for 2017 anyway.

So, to summarize, A LOT. (and then I never play half the stuff I buy because I'm still playing games I got 5 months ago)

• Like 1

I don't even remember what I was buying in, say, January or even like July because I've bought so much more since then that it all kinda runs together. 

I hear ya. Normally I wouldn't be able to either but I usually take pictures of my purchases or keep track of them for game of the year list purposes, so it's just a matter of combing through my social feeds and working articles. By no means is my list complete lol, it's just the best reconstruction I have with all my recorded data.

It really is sporadic for me. I usually don't buy much now as I have before. But there will be times when I'll buy 2 consoles at one time if I really want them. I didn't think I was going to buy any games this BF but I guess so far I ended up spending about $70. Which isn't bad. I wanted a PS4. Almost bought the PS4 pro but it didn't come with a game so I ended up not buying it. I think each year it has gotten less and less. But I guess if we account Destiny and my XBOX 3 years subscription I spent easily over a $100 this year and various other minor games I picked up when it was on sale for $10. I try to just win games now since I rarely get the chance to play.