HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
iwx Leprechaun

PS4 HDD Upgrade Kind of Successful...

2016-12-09.png

Cue the Price is Right fail music...

Restoring the back up failed (TWICE). At least all of my saved game data was uploaded to the cloud.

That said, I was planning on upgrading the 320gb drive in my PS3 with the 500gb drive from my PS4.

Has anyone done this and successfully backed up/restored/copy all data from the stock drive to the new one with PS3?  Don't want to get my hopes up this time.

So you can go up to 2TB for the ps4? If that is the case, maybe I'll get a PS4 1tb and then swape the HDD to the PS3 and then buy a 2TB for the PS4.

So you can go up to 2TB for the ps4? If that is the case, maybe I'll get a PS4 1tb and then swape the HDD to the PS3 and then buy a 2TB for the PS4.

PS4 is already 2TB now; this is more just so that I have my data come over to avoid the slow DLs of PS3

I used the 2TB HDD from the Seagate Portable HDD. It was a pain for a while to format and stuff since gotta go back to the first firmware update to get it going. I ended redownloading a bunch of games since I only had 120gb portable HDD. 

Also I already filled up my 2TB in the past few weeks after buying all those games from BF/Cyber Monday. Those installs/patches are freaking huge! Not only that, but got a couple of huge digital games that are over 30gb. I ended up having over 80+ games physically and digitally installed. I had to delete a couple of them to make room for my new purchases.

I've upgrade three PS4s now. I just re-downloaded everything instead of the hassle of backing up/restoring. I just made sure all my game saves were backed up in the cloud. I have a good internet connection and download my games when I'm not home or before going to bed.

PS4 is already 2TB now; this is more just so that I have my data come over to avoid the slow DLs of PS3

So we can buy a PS4 that comes with 2TB already? It would be a lot easier for me to find one like that.

Yeah I ended up just having to download everything again; been downloading things for 24 hours straight, still have a ton of games to go

So we can buy a PS4 that comes with 2TB already? It would be a lot easier for me to find one like that.

I upgraded mine, the upgrade is a real simple process, just need a  screwdriver, 2gb thumb drive and the new hard drive

Yeah I ended up just having to download everything again; been downloading things for 24 hours straight, still have a ton of games to go

Oh man, really not looking forward to doing this. Most of my PS4 games are digital, so it would be a while before I have my biggest games downloaded once again.

I do wonder if there are people who were able to restore their backups.

I upgraded mine, the upgrade is a real simple process, just need a  screwdriver, 2gb thumb drive and the new hard drive

I'm lucky since I don't have a PS4. I can just do this right away before I start playing any game. Would save me a lot of problems. Too bad we can't go with an external route on the PS4 like the X1.

I'm lucky since I don't have a PS4. I can just do this right away before I start playing any game. Would save me a lot of problems. Too bad we can't go with an external route on the PS4 like the X1.

Out of all the screw ups MS has had this gen, this was not one of them

Oh man, really not looking forward to doing this. Most of my PS4 games are digital, so it would be a while before I have my biggest games downloaded once again.

I do wonder if there are people who were able to restore their backups.

I've seen people do it no problem.

The things I would probably recommend differently is that do not back up to a drive with USB power, probably better off with a dedicated power source.  I can't say for sure this is why I ran into the problem I did but it could make sense.

That said, unlike PS3 (which has been downloading for like 3 days straight), the PS4 can have 3 downloads going simultaneously, speeds up the time, my PS4 downloads were back in no time.