HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Switch's physical game cases are identical to PSP's

Kind of interesting to see this.

At first, people were saying that it was more akin to PS4 cases, but now it appears that Switch game cases are the same as PSP's.

The question is, why go with that form factor and not one that's closer to 3DS, especially since the latter uses less physical material (or at least it looks that way)? My guess is that they're trying to differentiate Switch cases from 3DS as much as possible, especially if 3DS lives on for another year or more.

C3MedREWIAAIji3.jpg

Image via @aevanko on Twitter

I'm actually not all that crazy about those style of game cases, but at least they take up less space (I guess).

What do you guys think? Do you like the new form factor for Switch's cases?

Pretty fitting since one was trying to squeeze a console into a handheld and the other is trying to squeeze a handheld into a console. I don't really care that much, the box is just there to hold the game when I'm not playing it and (if it has nice cover art) look pretty doing it. :P

Looks good for me :) Nice and small case that won't take up space so I can pile up more games I'll never play.

Not that big of a deal to me. But I thought it might be a smaller case more like 3DS or DS game cases. Maybe they are just trying to get PSP owners to buy Switch games by mistake and then have to buy a Switch. So smart Nintendo :P.

I really like the idea of having a smaller case. It makes shelves have more space. I realized that having big case with just a CD feels like a waste since there's no manuals. I believe that we should start having old school cases like Playstation days or Music CD size cases with booklets. I looked at my games and see how size really does matter. Glad Nintendo is bringing AAA games to a reasonable case size. I like it. Switching is great. xD

Do they save shelf space though? I saw some at the store and they look taller and thicker than bluray cases.

Not sure how I feel about them switching up the case size. On one hand people might like to see something different but on the other bluray cases have become the standard for entertainment. Will people view these as "less than" because they aren't the same as PS4, Xbox One and everything else on the shelf? Similar to other aspects of Switch, I think the moment you have to explain any of this to someone you're losing a fraction of sales. 

Outside of Zelda, how has the Switch software sold?

Do they save shelf space though? I saw some at the store and they look taller and thicker than bluray cases.

Not sure how I feel about them switching up the case size. On one hand people might like to see something different but on the other bluray cases have become the standard for entertainment. Will people view these as "less than" because they aren't the same as PS4, Xbox One and everything else on the shelf? Similar to other aspects of Switch, I think the moment you have to explain any of this to someone you're losing a fraction of sales. 

Outside of Zelda, how has the Switch software sold?

Just did a comparison earlier, they're the same thickness as Blu-ray cases and slightly smaller in length but otherwise they're basically that same standard, just not as wide.

As far as software sold, I remember seeing a chart somewhere but I forget what the source was. I'll see if I can track it down. From what I can remember, Zelda is the only one over 1 million sold (which makes sense given that nothing else was a big AAA title) but the other games and indies were selling respectably (1-2 Switch was at 300k, I believe, and Bomberman was in third and is supposedly the best-selling Bomberman to date?).

Just did a comparison earlier, they're the same thickness as Blu-ray cases and slightly smaller in length but otherwise they're basically that same standard, just not as wide.

As far as software sold, I remember seeing a chart somewhere but I forget what the source was. I'll see if I can track it down. From what I can remember, Zelda is the only one over 1 million sold (which makes sense given that nothing else was a big AAA title) but the other games and indies were selling respectably (1-2 Switch was at 300k, I believe, and Bomberman was in third and is supposedly the best-selling Bomberman to date?).

1-2 Switch is really fun and get for get together. I highly recommend that for anyone with a switch. Just a lot of quick and fun mini games to play with friends and family.

Thanks! In that case, good on them to save space!

It's also promising to see other software selling well. I was a little worried when I first saw a >90% attachment rate for Zelda. I was wondering if the initial Switch bump was exclusively Zelda diehards but it looks like that it's more just a reflection of how great the game is. The next few months will be telling.

• Like 1

I saw something saying BOTW is the game that have gotten the most perfect score? It was from IGN post through facebook.