HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is great; go see it

So I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 last night, aaaaaand I have to say I was a little apprehensive going in.

Sequels are a really tricky thing these days; just look at Iron Man 2. Or Spider-Man 3. Heck, even X-Men: The Last Stand. Everyone was hyped for these films because their predecessors were great, but as they showed, studios can get cocky and think they have everything in the bag when they really don't.

I'm happy to say Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, in most ways, is just about on par with the original film. Or in other words, it's great -- you should go see it if you're into comic book films and liked the first one.

Here's a few quick thoughts (spoilers will be marked as so)--

- I honestly really believe GotG and Vol 2 are preeeetty close in quality, if not equal, but I will say that each one has their strengths. Imo, GotG has a better pacing and overall plot, but Vol. 2 has better character development and narrative arcs. Both movies have great epilogues that wrap up the story well.

- The main villain is probably Marvel Studios' best (and most reprehensible) villain to date. Their motive actually checks out and makes sense; they're not a mustache-twirling villain simply for convenience.

- Kurt Russell is great. He should be in more modern stuff, but I'm glad he's making a comeback with both this and the recent Fast and Furious movies.

- Elizabeth Debicki, who plays the Sovereign's gold-skinned Ayesha, is freakishly tall in real life at 6'3". In the movie, Gunn had her wear heels, which increased her height to a staggering 6'7".

- Rocket Raccoon got a SURPRISING amount of focus in this film. I'm actually shocked at how well James Gunn balanced each character's narrative arc in this one. Peter/Ego, Rocket/Yondu, Gamora/Nebula, and -- to a lesser extent -- Drax/Mantis. They cover a ton of ground with them in such a short amount of time; well done, James Gunn.

- I'm a little sad that they don't showcase more of the cosmic worlds in this one since this is the only Marvel Studios property that explores the galaxy at large other than Earth. Understandable that a huge chunk of the story takes place on Ego's planet (or himself, rather), but I'd like to see the next film take place on multiple different worlds and delve deeper into Xandar and other cultures. Would be good to go deeper into Celestial lore as well, since they sort of retconned Ego into being one.

- One of the film's BEST JOKES was when they revealed the Sovereign treated their pursuit with their golden armada like that of a video game (or getting a high score in one). Lots of well-timed humor throughout as well.

After seeing this, I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy is currently Marvel Studios' best franchise yet. The movies are 2 for 2, and -- though you could make a very real argument that the Captain America trilogy is better -- I think that the Cap movies are pretty interchangeable as far as which is the best.

What did you guys think of the movie?

I saw the first one in theaters and absolutely loved it despite knowing nothing about the characters, so I'm definitely excited to see the sequel. But I basically never go to the movies anymore (in fact, GotG might be the last thing I saw in theaters xD) so I may just have to hold my excitement until it gets a home/streaming release. Though if hype gets really loud I'll probably force myself to go watch it, because I just do what the hive mind tells me.

Can't wait to see this movie. Pretty hyped for it. I thought the trailer was good to be honest.

I saw it yesterday night. I really enjoyed it even though I feel like I remember the 1st one more fondly overall (might've been time & place though. I should rewatch the 1st.). But they focused pretty heavily on character development in 2 and I can respect it (and I feel like it'll be memorable than the 1st because of it. The 1st was mostly about getting the gang together and 2 much more easily puts names to faces.). I do think the overall writing was better in 2 though. The good jokes definitely hit harder for me in 2 than the 1st one as well as the more serious moments.

Although, I admit, because I saw no media for it I kind of assumed Thanos would be the big bad here and I was sort of disappointed that it pretty much all took place on the homeworld of Quill's father. But maybe that was naive to assume it'd happen after the success of the 1st one.

But hey, I'm totally down for more Guardians films if they maintain this level of quality. Definitely still far and away my favorite Marvel film series to date. 

Also....

I never thought we'd be in a world where we'd see the Microsoft Zune as a punchline for a "popular modern music device" in a big budget film.

For some reason my Mall isn't showing it in theaters. I wanted to see it for discount Tuesdays. Anyways will probably go see it at another theater without the discount. I just need to go one of my days off, but I'm always busy with something. Hoping to see it this week or next week. I loved the first one as well. Looking forward to seeing Vol. 2!