HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

How do you deal with your backlog? 2017 Edition

I believe we've had this discussions before but because the last one was so long ago and because peoples' methods change, I believe it's relevant to ask again -- how do you deal with your backlog?

There seem to be a few popular methods for it, as far as I can see.

"Finish one or two games before you can start a brand new game"

probably works well for some. I personally haven't tried this too much lately, mostly because my gaming philosophy is to play what you're most excited for when it comes out. But I can see this being pretty effective if you have the right mindset for it.

"Finish one or two games before you can BUY another."

Basically a variant on the last one, except you're basically ensuring that you're buying a game for every two you complete, thus ensuring that you're halving your collection over time. Not a bad route either, and has been very effective for many. Again, I have the same issue where I buy games that I'm most excited for as they release AND if I can play them right away.

"Play one or two games at the same you're playing a current one."

This is actually my current method of playing backlog games. I'll play what I'm most excited to play, and switch between one or two other games depending on the day or time of. To give you an example, probably the most popular way of doing this is to play one game on each platform and switch between them, so Fire Emblem on 3DS, Rare Replay on Xbox One, and then Horizon on PS4, let's say.

What I've also been trying (and somewhat failing at recently) is actually switching between three games but playing just one a day. This was actually a pretty successful way for me to play for about a week or two as I tried to tackle that glut of games that released in April, but it's kind of fallen off now that some bigger games that I've been wanting to play are out.

It's definitely tough but if you can make it work, this is a pretty effective method overall. The best way of doing it is probably one game per platform though.

"Play backlog games when you feel like playing them."

This is, by far, probably the biggest way people tackle their backlog. It's also probably the least effective because there's no built-in culpability, but if you have really good self-discipline, hey, maybe you can make it work. But overall, this is the no-sweat, go-at-your-own-pace method. Chances are this won't help much unless you get in a mood where you want to play several backlog games in a row and/or have nothing else to play.

Anyhow, those were the four biggest methods I could think of for tackling backlog games.

Which one(s) do you guys use? And do you guys know of any others?

I'm not nearly as good with my backlog as I used to be but I think I am still decent at tricking myself into finishing games nowadays (like last week I did really good.).

"Play one or two games at the same time you're playing your current one." is a pretty common way of how I play games. I don't really think I do that for backlog intentions rather than simply changing it up so I don't burn out on a single game too quickly (but it is a nice feeling to finish all of those games close together.).

Barrel trick #1:

Play at least the intro/tutorial of like every game you buy and/or intend to play. There are a lot of reasons to do this. It can trigger the "mood" to play certain games you wouldn't expect, and because having played a game at all is better than staring at something you never touched but spent money on. (And introductions are often the slowest part of a game. So, once you are over that it can often feel like it's just uphill from there when you do decide to seriously play it.)

Other stuff I do is kind of specific to me and how I play games in general. I like to gauge how long a game is in advance so I'll look at how many chapters it has or the common completion time. I also often make an effort to be sure I at least reach the halfway mark before I feel myself wanting to put it down for a bit (this, of course, requires a sort of confidence in yourself being able to recall stuff like gameplay systems/story when you return to a game, which... can be pretty difficult depending on the game.). 

• Like 1

I used to just go game by game. Won't start a new one until I beat the current one. But really the problem is work and lack of time. Work takes over 13 hours a day. And then on my off day I'm just too tired to play games. Plus, now that I am pretty much grinding all the time in FFBE it takes up most of my time. I'm on the forum for that game too. I still try to play games that I had on my list to get to and buy new one sthat are cheap. But yea, growing up has taken gaming out of the equation.

• Like 1

Stare at it and cry

That...kinda. I typically try the "play 1 or 2 games at a time and try to finish them before starting something else" but it's too easy for me to get distracted and stop playing a game, get fed up with BS mechanics and ragequit, or just plain stop caring and move on to something different. On top of that I play way too much Overwatch (and soon I'll be playing way too much Splatoon 2) so I end up spending a ton of time I could use to work on my backlog to play a multiplayer game, which slows my progress on anything else to a crawl and makes it easier to just drop off of it and then pick up something else later.

None of that stops me from buying a ton of games though. :\

That...kinda. I typically try the "play 1 or 2 games at a time and try to finish them before starting something else" but it's too easy for me to get distracted and stop playing a game, get fed up with BS mechanics and ragequit, or just plain stop caring and move on to something different. On top of that I play way too much Overwatch (and soon I'll be playing way too much Splatoon 2) so I end up spending a ton of time I could use to work on my backlog to play a multiplayer game, which slows my progress on anything else to a crawl and makes it easier to just drop off of it and then pick up something else later.

None of that stops me from buying a ton of games though. :\

Tell me about it. Soon it'll be the grind in Destiny 2.

I try to be the sort who plays one main game and then work on some of the smaller titles I have when I want a break from the main one. But... That rarely works out. Either I get slammed with working crazy hours or I get hooked on a game and can't really get into other ones.

Venom's symbiote has taken me over. I was on a roll beating games from Jan to March. Then Overwatch and impulse buying. I cry as well. When you get a job and enough money you start to buy games on sale and never play them. I'm still needing to play my very first PS4 game I bought before I had a PS4. 

I do try to take one game at a time before moving on. If I'm sick or not feeling better I just play Overwatch or multiplayer games. When I'm off I spend about 20 minutes thinking what to play and then decide Overwatch again. Venom's symbiote has Overwatched my body. I can't take it anymore! I'm going to play Overwatch now.

• Like 1

I have two lists: Games to Play (That I Own) and Games to Buy. 

I try to limit both to games I will legitimately play. I find that this limits my impulse buys a ton. Also since I know what I still need to play, I don't mind waiting until great deals on the Games to Buy list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I try to limit both to games I will legitimately play. I find that this limits my impulse buys a ton. Also since I know what I still need to play, I don't mind waiting until great deals on the Games to Buy list. 

Yea I have those 2 lists as well. I however can't stick to either list lol

This is pretty much what I do too, yeah. In the past, I used to buy games that I was curious in, but not SUPER interested in if they got really cheap, but nowadays I've cut that out altogether since my backlog has gotten so big. Like you said, I try to limit purchases to games that I really actually want to (and know I'll) play.

• Haha 1

I've tried every method to tackle my backlog, but nothing works for me. I was recently feeling bored with gaming, so I took a break for a little bit, but then the passion kicked in again big time, and I went on a buying spree! So not only did I not finish three games or more that I already owned, before buying another, I actually bought about 6 games recently. I think how I'm going to approach it this time, is I'm going to focus on finishing games I bought in 2017. I've only finished Horizon Zero Dawn. I have no self control when it comes to gaming!

• Like 1

So, recently what's actually been helping me out is streaming the games. Either that or making it a sort of interractive experience with either viewers or friends. Like, with friends, we all start a game together then talk about it as we play it. In our group, no one really wants to get left behind and not be part of the fun, so it's made things a bit easier to stay on top of. That and I've just straight up not been buying as many games as of late, not to mention my drive and interest in retro collecting is essentially gone at this point. Honestly, I've been debating selling off even more of my collection at this point, funny enough, but we'll see how that goes!