HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Jason Clement

Would you pay to go to E3 next year?

Someone ran a poll recently (I think it may have been Kinda Funny) about whether or not you would pay to go to E3 next year based on what this year was like, and it was honestly pretty telling. I believe a good 73% or so said "no," and that was based on a sampling of 1,000 votes at that point.

Honestly, I don't blame people for feeling that way. Apparently the ESA (the association that manages E3) didn't properly prepare for the amount of people that were coming, which led to the expo hall being packed to the brim. Both media and paying fans alike had trouble moving to and from different areas, and the latter were pretty much relegated to waiting 2 hours or more to play demos for games, which, if they only went 1 or 2 days, pretty much means they only got to play anywhere from 5-10 games total.

That's not to say the show was a total bust in and of itself; just that the experience of it for a paying fan might not be all that's cracked up to be, especially since you can better take in all of the announcements and news right from your home.

Anyhow, what would you do? Would you pay to go next year if you could? Or would you wait for certain assurances first (better preparation for the masses of people and the like)?

It would really depend on what there might be to show. I do believe that they were not expecting the turnout they got. However, they should have figured that a lot of gamers view E3 as the 'holy land' and when given the fact they were able to attend this year, people would be there.

Really, the only reason I'd want to go is to pick up some swag, but that wouldn't be worth paying to go. I'm just as happy watching trailers from the comfort of my home, and as nice as it would be to play demos, I can't say the overall experience would be pleasant enough (because I hate crowds) to make even that worthwhile. Besides, actually playing the stuff I'm super excited about would make it even harder to wait for those games to come out, and I have enough trouble with that already. :P

Really, the only reason I'd want to go is to pick up some swag, but that wouldn't be worth paying to go. I'm just as happy watching trailers from the comfort of my home, and as nice as it would be to play demos, I can't say the overall experience would be pleasant enough (because I hate crowds) to make even that worthwhile. Besides, actually playing the stuff I'm super excited about would make it even harder to wait for those games to come out, and I have enough trouble with that already. :P

Getting some swag would be nice. But I am like you in thinking that swag alone would be worth the money to go (and this includes having to take the time off for it). Then again... I've seen a couple things that I wish I could have gotten from E3, lol.

Being pushed around in large crowds and going deaf from cheers....no thanks. I'm just fine watching from home on my lazy bum.

No, they need to pay me to attend. Outside of free swags if they give any out. I don't really care. Playing demo don't matter either. I can wait for the actual game that is more polished.

As a huge PlayStation fanboy, I think you'd be insane to pay to go to E3 when you can just pay to go to PSX. PSX is way more fan-oriented specially PlayStation fan-oriented. Even from a third-party perspective, you're going to get way more hands-on time at PSX than E3.

• Like 2

As a huge PlayStation fanboy, I think you'd be insane to pay to go to E3 when you can just pay to go to PSX. PSX is way more fan-oriented specially PlayStation fan-oriented. Even from a third-party perspective, you're going to get way more hands-on time at PSX than E3.

Yeah, pretty much this. E3 really is not a fan event. At all. In a way, it almost feels disingenuous for the ESA to open it to the public knowing full well that E3 does not necessarily operate like fan-oriented events like PAX and PSX. They kind of glamorize the whole thing for gamers when in reality, it doesn't necessarily stack up to peoples' expectations in their head (if they're attending as a regular person).

Yeah, pretty much this. E3 really is not a fan event. At all. In a way, it almost feels disingenuous for the ESA to open it to the public knowing full well that E3 does not necessarily operate like fan-oriented events like PAX and PSX. They kind of glamorize the whole thing for gamers when in reality, it doesn't necessarily stack up to peoples' expectations in their head (if they're attending as a regular person).

Definitely. I heard people were waiting like 5-6 hours to play games. Why even bother at that point?

I totally agree! Plus, tickets are way cheaper for PSX.

My answer is probably no. I had a few friends head out there this year and mentioned not only how crazy busy the floors were, but how disappointing it all was. I dunno if it's just because of the rather lackluster year we had this year or if it just made it even worse, but they mention there were barely any games they'd even had the most vague interests in playing. Let's hope this sort of trend isn't something that continues in the years to come.